Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic Friends Trial Reward

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic Friends Trial Reward
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eillack
07.14.2012 , 09:05 AM | #91
So how long will this opportunity last? Trying to get more people referred here is much harder now than before haha....

Raansu
07.16.2012 , 10:14 PM | #92
One of my friends hit his 30 day mark finally and subscribed to the game. A little disappointed the speeder doesn't have the sound effect thats in the video =/

jaberwok
07.18.2012 , 06:26 PM | #93
Yeah.

I don't write in MMO forums, mainly because of past bad experiences. However, I really feel I have to say something here. As a bit of backstory, I've only played one other MMO long term (8 years running now). I bought the CE version of the game, mostly because I'm a big SW fan (old movies only; don't talk to me about Eps 1-3 PLEASE). My wife and I both have accounts. I play a few times a week -- once a week my wife and I team up with friends from out of state, and a few times a week the two of us run a different set of characters together. I don't have a level 50 character here yet; as of right now my highest is level 41, with a scattering others in the low 30s, mid 20s, and teens. My wife's highest character is level 32-ish.

It's become pretty clear from the promotions and rewards offered that we are not the target audience for this game. Every time something new is touted, it's pretty much meant for the hardcore -- people who have the time to either plow through content or to power-level past it. I was a bit put off to learn that the free month that was rewarded a while back (1.2?) was only for those who had gotten to a certain legacy level and level 50 -- I'm not as valuable because I have a life, even though I'm paying the same amount of cash? (I've seen comments that the month was given to everyone -- I just checked and I didn't get it. I'm certain that if I checked my wife's account, I'd find that she didn't get it either.)

When I saw this promotion of the new speeder for inviting friends, I automatically figured I wouldn't be able to get it. All of my friends subbed back when I did, having preordered the game back when I did. That's fine; my friends are on, and the speeder is simply another cool shiny, right? "No big deal," I told myself. "Yes, it looks really cool, and I'd love to have it, but the CE speeder serves me good enough. I'll make due, and once I reach level 50 I'll buy one of those sweet 110% speeders (or have a friend build me one)." Then I find out that not only does this new speeder look nice, it completely outperforms in every way any speeder I have access to. What the ****! Seriously?

Please note: I don't care if you give away titles, new speeder models, pets, or whatever. I expect that minor benefits will be handed out to those who are willing to jump through a few hoops. Hell, if it's something I can do (and I've got the time and/or inclination) I might even jump through myself. But twice now player rewards that have provided fairly significant benefits (a free month, a speeder that's faster and more durable) have been offered under terms that have completely excluded me and my wife. It's bad enough that current subscribers and CE buyers are considered less valuable than new 1 month subs; do you seriously have to rub this fact in our faces time and again with these promotions?

My friends have been one-by-one drifting away from TOR. I had been trying to discourage them from doing so, but honestly now I can't. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to stick around. I get the distinct sense that "We are not the players you're looking for."

*shrug*

HibashiraSakai
07.21.2012 , 05:24 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
And thus begins the story of how I started multiple accounts on yet another MMO just to get the shinies.

The game's on sale for $20 at Amazon so it'll just cost me $35 to own it.
Personally, I'd be willing to just pay the $35 to BioWare and get the thing if I could avoid the hassle of dealing with a second account since all my friends either already play or refuse to play.
/signed

I'd rather pay some cash to buy cool toys.

Kissakias
07.21.2012 , 06:37 AM | #95
i really really REALLY hate that kind of gaining rewards, whatever those are:m ad::mad

P.S. and why i can't put 1. terrible in voting?
Join us and earn gooood rewards using my referral http://www.swtor.com/r/ZvPhZd... Be a suber today!!
--50980--achievement points--

Valkirus
07.21.2012 , 06:58 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
Yeah.

I don't write in MMO forums, mainly because of past bad experiences. However, I really feel I have to say something here. As a bit of backstory, I've only played one other MMO long term (8 years running now). I bought the CE version of the game, mostly because I'm a big SW fan (old movies only; don't talk to me about Eps 1-3 PLEASE). My wife and I both have accounts. I play a few times a week -- once a week my wife and I team up with friends from out of state, and a few times a week the two of us run a different set of characters together. I don't have a level 50 character here yet; as of right now my highest is level 41, with a scattering others in the low 30s, mid 20s, and teens. My wife's highest character is level 32-ish.

It's become pretty clear from the promotions and rewards offered that we are not the target audience for this game. Every time something new is touted, it's pretty much meant for the hardcore -- people who have the time to either plow through content or to power-level past it. I was a bit put off to learn that the free month that was rewarded a while back (1.2?) was only for those who had gotten to a certain legacy level and level 50 -- I'm not as valuable because I have a life, even though I'm paying the same amount of cash? (I've seen comments that the month was given to everyone -- I just checked and I didn't get it. I'm certain that if I checked my wife's account, I'd find that she didn't get it either.)

When I saw this promotion of the new speeder for inviting friends, I automatically figured I wouldn't be able to get it. All of my friends subbed back when I did, having preordered the game back when I did. That's fine; my friends are on, and the speeder is simply another cool shiny, right? "No big deal," I told myself. "Yes, it looks really cool, and I'd love to have it, but the CE speeder serves me good enough. I'll make due, and once I reach level 50 I'll buy one of those sweet 110% speeders (or have a friend build me one)." Then I find out that not only does this new speeder look nice, it completely outperforms in every way any speeder I have access to. What the ****! Seriously?

Please note: I don't care if you give away titles, new speeder models, pets, or whatever. I expect that minor benefits will be handed out to those who are willing to jump through a few hoops. Hell, if it's something I can do (and I've got the time and/or inclination) I might even jump through myself. But twice now player rewards that have provided fairly significant benefits (a free month, a speeder that's faster and more durable) have been offered under terms that have completely excluded me and my wife. It's bad enough that current subscribers and CE buyers are considered less valuable than new 1 month subs; do you seriously have to rub this fact in our faces time and again with these promotions?

My friends have been one-by-one drifting away from TOR. I had been trying to discourage them from doing so, but honestly now I can't. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to stick around. I get the distinct sense that "We are not the players you're looking for."

*shrug*
There are some good reasons they are offering this speeder in the way they are. To increase subs because the game is bleeding them faster than a sinking boat taking on water. They seem to have this misconception if they expose TOR to more players, they will have to sub because it will look so great. You can see this attitude by watching the interview video the EA CEO did with CBS the other day. I know other games offer mounts for refering friends to a game, but those are only special in looks. Not in performance.
Trust is something which is earned.

Eillack
07.21.2012 , 10:03 AM | #97
So is this still an "X time only" thing or not? Still unsure.

KyaniteD
07.22.2012 , 03:21 PM | #98
I'm not a fan of this speeder. Or rather: I loathe this speeder on the fleet. The sound is awful and people having their heads in the exhaust is almost worse than landspeeders covering the mailboxes/drop boxes and NPCs.

A mountable adult Tauntaun would make me go VERY far, but yet another fleet nuisance? Nope.
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
______Crafting_____ ______Trading___ ___
All original level 1-50 custom sets & full cartel sets. (JC only.)

Raansu
07.22.2012 , 05:11 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
I'm not a fan of this speeder. Or rather: I loathe this speeder on the fleet. The sound is awful and people having their heads in the exhaust is almost worse than landspeeders covering the mailboxes/drop boxes and NPCs.

A mountable adult Tauntaun would make me go VERY far, but yet another fleet nuisance? Nope.
To each their own. I personally love the speeder. My only complaint is it doesn't sound like it does in the video when you are moving around.

Felioats
08.08.2012 , 04:08 PM | #100
This thread has dropped off the Customer Service board's front page, and I think the General forum might be better suited to the topic, anyway, though I'm not sure:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=517984

The FAQ has an error and an unanswered question.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/4384

Quote:
These trial invitations will allow the invited players to download and install the game, and to play for free for seven (7) days.
This is outdated information. They can now play for free to level 15 with no time limit.

And this question:

How do I become eligible for the Friends Trial reward?

Doesn't say how long your friend has to create their account for you to get credit (2 weeks, I think?) or how long they have to buy the game and subscribe for you to get credit (I have no idea).

Thanks for your help!
>