Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing the Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing the Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AttonStarkiller
07.10.2012 , 12:15 PM | #11
As a player who played free weekends and trials prior to becoming a paid player, I do have a suggestion. Why not restrict trial players to "non-destination (busy)" servers. Since those players are mostly going to be on the starting and cap planets, they'd have the opportunity to play with lots of people who were also playing for free. It would also:

1. Keep fleet and planetary populations at the levels that paying subscribers are used to.
  2. It would keep potential players from reading the often scathing threads in General chat.
  3. It would also provide more of an incentive for trial players to take the plunge by allowing them to transfer their characters to a prime server once they start paying for the game.
  4. When trial players can't speak unless spoken to, they often resort to "rude" tactics to get the attention of other players, including sending random group invites.

I fully understand the value in allowing someone to play a game to a certain point to decide if he wishes to play. In my case I choose a server that was less populated for my trials as a courtesy to those who were paying for the game. It also helped me to establish that my computer would be able handle the hardware demands of the game while still allowing me to enjoy myself.

SithTex
07.10.2012 , 12:55 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
(edit) the free trial seems a good think to me.

Now hopefully paying customers will go through priorities queues or guess players will be upset.

I am a bit concerned about this also. Is there a login priority system that will be in place so paying subscribers will get in ahead of those on the trial?

Chemmie
07.10.2012 , 01:01 PM | #13
Sorry about my earlier post about the 14days, apparently I read the old rules before they were updated.

magnetzero
07.10.2012 , 02:34 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AttonStarkiller View Post
As a player who played free weekends and trials prior to becoming a paid player, I do have a suggestion. Why not restrict trial players to "non-destination (busy)" servers. Since those players are mostly going to be on the starting and cap planets, they'd have the opportunity to play with lots of people who were also playing for free.
This. I second this idea.

Celebrus
07.10.2012 , 03:16 PM | #15
Now the tens of players who haven't had a chance to trial this game for free will get an opportunity, and we will see a boon in populations the likes of which we haven't seen since Operatives were first nerfed.

Things are truly looking up.

ivanhedgehog
07.10.2012 , 03:29 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ciridemarr View Post
Just one question : what about crafting? If trizillions of free players will be able to craft - it doesn't have any level restriction atm - GTN will be flooded with player crafted items or gathered mats and whole economy will collapse.
PLEASE INTRODUCE RESTRICTIONS TO CREW SKILLS LEVELS - ie. similar to cap for Valour Rank when pvp'ing with levels under 50.
read the info. they cant use GTN. restricted to skill lvl 40...cant use general or trade...not likely to be competition now will they?

Valethar
07.10.2012 , 04:54 PM | #17
Quote:
Level: 25
Quality: Artifact
Requires Speeder Piloting: Rank 1
Speed: 110%
Is that a typo, or is the referral mount really that OP? A Rank 1 speeder at 110%?
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

omNOMNOMinator
07.10.2012 , 04:57 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
Is that a typo, or is the referral mount really that OP? A Rank 1 speeder at 110%?
I wouldn't describe it as OP.... just generous.
Srill - Twi-Lekk Gunslinger
Tomb of Freedom Nadd

Sarfux
07.10.2012 , 05:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ciridemarr View Post
Just one question : what about crafting? If trizillions of free players will be able to craft - it doesn't have any level restriction atm - GTN will be flooded with player crafted items or gathered mats and whole economy will collapse.
PLEASE INTRODUCE RESTRICTIONS TO CREW SKILLS LEVELS - ie. similar to cap for Valour Rank when pvp'ing with levels under 50.

use it to your advantage

shhhhhh!!! dont screw it up!! find a way THERES ALWAYS A WAY!!
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

Deewe
07.11.2012 , 02:11 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SithTex View Post
I am a bit concerned about this also. Is there a login priority system that will be in place so paying subscribers will get in ahead of those on the trial?
None so far.