Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando or Vanguard?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando or Vanguard?

Bloodstreaker
07.26.2012 , 10:27 PM | #21
VANGUARD ALL THE WAY BABY YEA!!!!!!! IM A WALKING TANK pluse u get to look like and be a regulare trooper command is fun if u like mass devastation Vanguard is fun for tanking AND MASS DEVISTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I'll take u on I'll take u all on!!!! FOR THE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!

Uggen
07.27.2012 , 02:01 AM | #22
My main since Pre-purchase has been my commando. I was suppose to pick vanguard but i misclicked when i chose the AC lol. Anyway, in february i started to wonder if i had picked the wrong class. Cause combat medic(as I am) got neerrfeddd . And besides, if you only do pvp, commando isn't anything compared to a vanguard when it comes to dps. And even though your a healer it's chill to switch out once a week. The only downside here is that the vanguard's mobility and ability to cross dps tree-with ion cell is the shiat. So i made myself a vanguard alt and got him to 50. And I am so glad i did that, cause now i know i want to be a healer as long as I am subscribed to this game. And the big *** cannon? **** IT IS SO F:CKING KICKASS!!!

Yurie
07.27.2012 , 08:16 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
Gravediiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig
I dont think 1 week entitles necro yet

Quote: Originally Posted by Yurie View Post
if you wanna be a healer: Smugler
if you wanna do anything else: Vanguard
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaoogaa View Post
Fixt! Haha, ok seriously. IF you want to heal then CM is viable in PVP and PVE...not fun like it used to be. For PVE and only PVE Gunnery is a great class, in competative PVP not so much. Assault Commando is the best PVP spec but it is nothing like Assault Vanguard which kicks arse.

Vanguard - Tank/Shield spec is great with no weaknesses for PVE and can be good fun in PVP if you run in DPS gear since many of the defensive stats are not as effective when in PVP. Assualt Vanguard is currently the FOTM right behind sentinel...it is easy to be good and when in a skilled players hands they are amazing. Tactics isn't worth the time since the damage isn't much better than a Shield spec in DPS gear.

Good luck with your choice...you could always go Commando in hopes that the class will get a balance sweep to make them more viable in all aspects of the game.
Fixt your fixt

stesergio
07.27.2012 , 03:59 PM | #24
Ok. I think I am going Vanguard, I just worry about how melee works with trooper. As I mentioned earlier, I played an Operative and a Juggernaut both of which are mostly melee. The Jugg was fun because I could Force leap in and be fighting right away but I hated the operative because I felt I was always running around from one NPC to the next. Most of the time I just stayed in cover and used my few ranged abilities because i got sick of chasing people trying to get a backstab or shiv in range.

So, with trooper I'm guessing storm and harpoon makes it more similar to the Juggernaut as far as the melee range combat (I know powertech is the mirror but I haven't played a powertech).

Yurie
07.29.2012 , 07:52 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by stesergio View Post
Ok. I think I am going Vanguard, I just worry about how melee works with trooper. As I mentioned earlier, I played an Operative and a Juggernaut both of which are mostly melee. The Jugg was fun because I could Force leap in and be fighting right away but I hated the operative because I felt I was always running around from one NPC to the next. Most of the time I just stayed in cover and used my few ranged abilities because i got sick of chasing people trying to get a backstab or shiv in range.

So, with trooper I'm guessing storm and harpoon makes it more similar to the Juggernaut as far as the melee range combat (I know powertech is the mirror but I haven't played a powertech).
Vanguard isnt actually melee, it's more close range 10m with some 30m abilities
, so you can open with your 30m abilities while closing in for 10m and just step in for stockstrike. If you want to really be ranged then go gunslinger.

Bloodstreaker
08.02.2012 , 02:00 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Yurie View Post
Vanguard isnt actually melee, it's more close range 10m with some 30m abilities
, so you can open with your 30m abilities while closing in for 10m and just step in for stockstrike. If you want to really be ranged then go gunslinger.
He's right Smuggler is kinda=to imperial agent
Trooper=Boss status
I'll take u on I'll take u all on!!!! FOR THE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!

Merihim
08.03.2012 , 07:32 AM | #27
Vanguard just doesn't give a *****.

Shoot them from a distance slowly moving in to your enemy then smack them and walk away like a boss. Rinse and repeat.
"You have allowed this Darklord to twist your mind, untill now, untill now you've become the very thing you swore to destroy"
"Don't lecture me, Obi-wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the Darkside as you do"

TUXs
08.03.2012 , 10:06 AM | #28
Vanguard. No doubt at all. Don't think, just do it. I went Commando and regret it more than you'll ever know.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

RundoSim
08.04.2012 , 12:09 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Vanguard. No doubt at all. Don't think, just do it. I went Commando and regret it more than you'll ever know.
Did you get it caught in your zipper?

Vanguard all the way!! I love strolling in, gun blazing, then smacking them in the face and watching them drop.

I've played healers mostly, this is my first tank but it's a lot of fun.

FrostTrooper
08.06.2012 , 07:29 AM | #30
I have one of each around level 30 now. I played the commando up to lvl 30 first and REALLY loved it. The damage was great fun. I switched to healing and had a blast with that as well. On a whim I decided to try a VG. After running it up to the same level, I'm totally hooked on the VG at this point. The "close-up" fighting is a LOT of fun, yet I still have the ability to decimate groups at range if necessary.

I think both classes are a lot of fun, and depending on what you want to do, both will be fun. In the end, the ability to dps/tank was more appealing to me.