Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando or Vanguard?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando or Vanguard?

KnightDave
07.08.2012 , 03:20 PM | #1
Hi, I just got my trooper to level 10 and I can't decide to go with the commando or the vanguard. Based on your experience, which one would you recommend?
FOR THE REPUBLIC!

Dadito
07.08.2012 , 03:22 PM | #2
well.. i don't have any experience but i will choose vanguard because i don't like that big cannon it looks like something from Middle Ages
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Sith Code by Darth Bane

KnightDave
07.08.2012 , 03:29 PM | #3
I agree, but I have heard that a lot of people like the commando's healing abilities.
FOR THE REPUBLIC!

ckoneful
07.08.2012 , 03:38 PM | #4
I really like the Vanguard personally, I couldn't stand the Commando and ended up deleting it by the end of Nar Shaddaa and my Vanguard is about to finish Act 1. Though, I've always preferred melee and tanks and I'm loving Storming around as a Trooper hur hur hur.

AidanLightwalker
07.08.2012 , 03:40 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightDave View Post
Hi, I just got my trooper to level 10 and I can't decide to go with the commando or the vanguard. Based on your experience, which one would you recommend?
Why don't you tell us how you like to play and then we will tell you which way to go.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

KnightDave
07.08.2012 , 03:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AidanLightwalker View Post
Why don't you tell us how you like to play and then we will tell you which way to go.
Well, I mainly play as a level 27 jedi guardian, so I like tanking. But I have never tried a healing class before. I mainly want a character that I can tank with and play pvp easily as. With a jedi, I can take down single opponents easily, but when inquisitors catch me with lightning I as good as dead. Also, with a jedi you need to position yourself very carefully so that you can attack opponents. So I guess what I am looking for is a tanking character that can stay mobile.
FOR THE REPUBLIC!

Atracin
07.08.2012 , 04:56 PM | #7
I faced the same decision as you, but I was lucky enough to play both a Commando and Vanguard during the Betas.

Vanguard: Ranged tank/Mobile DPS with the majority of you abilities being cast instantly. Mostly be around the 10m range, but closing in for the occasional stock strike. No knock back.
Commando: Stationary turret/Healer. You'll be quite a few things at range. You get one knock back.

Pick your poison.
I myself chose Vanguard. PVP wise the mobile DPS platform was the winning point for me. You can tank and hand out some serious damage. Plus the PVP section of the forums seems to always have a cry out for a nerf to us and BH's, so we must be good at something.
Jung Ma Atracin (50 Vanguard)
<Chinese Take-out>
Dark side choices are much more fun than light side.

ckoneful
07.08.2012 , 05:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightDave View Post
Well, I mainly play as a level 27 jedi guardian, so I like tanking. But I have never tried a healing class before. I mainly want a character that I can tank with and play pvp easily as. With a jedi, I can take down single opponents easily, but when inquisitors catch me with lightning I as good as dead. Also, with a jedi you need to position yourself very carefully so that you can attack opponents. So I guess what I am looking for is a tanking character that can stay mobile.
You just described a Vanguard.

Have fun!

DarkDruidSS
07.09.2012 , 06:47 AM | #9
I have a 29 commando and it's pretty fun. I also have a 41 powertech. If I didn't have the powertech I probably would have rolled a vanguard myself. Trooper animations are better than Bounty Hunter imo. Both ACs are good in their own right. Just depends if you want range or melee because in DPS spec even in heavy armor you are fairly squishy in PvP.
Beatrush - 50 Assassin | Satellitebeam - 50 Sniper
Katastrophe - 41 Powertech | Ømnislash - 34 Marauder
Highwind - 29 Commando | ßraver - 23 Sentinel
Finalheaven - 21 Sage | Bigbrawl - 14 Scoundrel

Haggardbr
07.09.2012 , 07:59 AM | #10
Well, I started a trooper this saturday and I made it a commando. It is already level 14.

I don't like the looks of those big cannons, although I carry one of those customs one in my inventory for when **** gets serious.

On that note I only use blaster rifles and play as combat medic only working with the healing tree.

So far I'm doing very well and I chose a commando since my guild (made of a few friends from another bigger guild - name in the signature) needs a few healers.

We already have some healers, but since everyone in the guild has a trooper alt, I thought it would be fun if I had one too.

Also, if you don't like to play "combat medic" you can also respect to the Assalt Tree which is the same with vanguards, but you are not able to use the shields, only generators.
Albrey Jhom Jhean Housh
Suarel