Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Has SWTOR Wrecked my HD5770 ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Has SWTOR Wrecked my HD5770 ?

vulkon
12.18.2011 , 10:27 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ThiefUK View Post
Admin Dont you Dare move me, i have already phoned your customer services office and had horrible service from them, you moved me to a topic before that died and had no responce, honestly if you move or lock this post, you've lost my money. no resub.

-

Hi,
I got early access (emailed) through on the 16th and started it all up all well and good, for some reason the graphics defaulted to lowest possible, which was odd, so i raised them all to max, everything.

Now, ever since that moment, my GPU has started to act up, badly, not just noticable in SWTOR but in other games, BF3 - SWTOR - Trine2 - All other games i have, here is a description of whats happening:

: 10 - 20 Minutes into Gameplay the game starts to lagg extremely bad, i recorded the FPS drop and found it to be a steady 60-70 FPS drop to 5-10 FPS, (unplayable) for a recorded 10-20 seconds.

- This would recur about 3 times in an hour

I have a ATI HD 5770 and its overclocked to GPU Clock: 900 MHZ - Memory Clock - 1300MHZ, i have tried turning the overclock off, no difference.

The worrying thing is, its getting worse, the spikes are occuring more often, the spike times are increasing/

The moment i turned SWTOR to full settings, it spiked for a good minute, and then all of the above started happening in sequence

(note i reinstalled drivers / reinstalled SWTOR)

Any help or resolve would be greatful

- System Spec

Q6600 Quad Core - Overclocked to 3.2GHZ
8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Vengence Ram
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard PRO
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital
Overheating. Nothing you can really do. Make sure there isn't a ton of dust caked up around your fan, the heatsinks, etc on the GPU. When your card hits a certain temperature, it will throttle itself to help cool back down. When it gets down to a safe temperature, it will go back up to full performance settings. Download speedfan and check your temperatures. Playing a game for any longer than a couple hours higher than 90C could kill your GPU. Get some more fans for your tower, take off the side of your case and put a box fan next to it, just get it to cool down one way or another. First, make sure your fan on your GPU is actually turning on...
All hail OPOD! .

rastaah
12.18.2011 , 10:32 PM | #12
You have an overclocked card (by the way did you over clock it yourself or is it factory overclocked?) and you are blaming the game?

How can a game ruin your card? It does not seem logical to me.

Also....so you guys all know.....this has been tested in game and by many people (in general chat) proven to do something

1) FPS go very low to like 6fps
2) Person sets all video settings in video setting UI to "HIGH" hit apply
2) Person sets all video settings back down to low "hit apply"
3) Person now manually moves all sliders to high....now game runs from 30 to 100fps....

This is a weird bug and could have something to do with your issue....worked for EVERYONE who tried it today in General. And like 20 people responded with increases from 20 to like 60 fps from doing it.

Raansu
12.18.2011 , 10:36 PM | #13
Your card is going bad, simple as that. SWTOR has nothing to do with it. Overclocking your card tends to have that side effect of killing them.

Lancs
12.18.2011 , 10:40 PM | #14
SWTOR wrecked my already failing social life. Can I get a new one?

Rochlin
12.18.2011 , 10:41 PM | #15
Sounds like turning the graphic setting lower might help.
Pink Twi'lek of healing goodness.

Tavarish
12.18.2011 , 10:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kashaan View Post
A game cannot mess up your graphics card... unless your card overheats trying to play a game on high or ultra, which is not the game's fault, it's yours for not having enough cooling or trying to push the card.

In other words... there's NO WAY, that TOR "wreaked your graphics card". It is impossible.
Like lack of FPS cap in SC 2's main menus didn't annihilate many graphics cards? Oh.. Wait... It did!

Keshin
12.18.2011 , 10:47 PM | #17
You want to blame something for your problem, but blaming a video game for this is simply silly. The timing of the problem is purely coincidental and as has been said many times already, hardware cannot be damaged by a videogame.

If SWTOR was causing GPU failure then we'd be seeing hundreds of posts on these forums about it. Only very specific software engineered to deal with driver and registry files targeted at your GPU could have caused problems with it, and even then it wouldn't result in "strange performance" issues. It would also be fixed with driver re-installations and registry fixes.

No, the problem you're having is a very common problem. Overheating, I'm almost 100% sure of it based on what you described. Reset the overclock to factory settings, remove any dust, make sure the GPU is in a good airy position in a "push-pull" flow fan case, re-install "clean" drivers etc. Problem solved! If this doesn't work then it sounds very much like the GPU is on its way out.
-HDB-
EU Republic PvE

vulkon
12.18.2011 , 11:21 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Keshin View Post
You want to blame something for your problem, but blaming a video game for this is simply silly. The timing of the problem is purely coincidental and as has been said many times already, hardware cannot be damaged by a videogame.

If SWTOR was causing GPU failure then we'd be seeing hundreds of posts on these forums about it. Only very specific software engineered to deal with driver and registry files targeted at your GPU could have caused problems with it, and even then it wouldn't result in "strange performance" issues. It would also be fixed with driver re-installations and registry fixes.

No, the problem you're having is a very common problem. Overheating, I'm almost 100% sure of it based on what you described. Reset the overclock to factory settings, remove any dust, make sure the GPU is in a good airy position in a "push-pull" flow fan case, re-install "clean" drivers etc. Problem solved! If this doesn't work then it sounds very much like the GPU is on its way out.
+1

fivechars
All hail OPOD! .

finnen
12.18.2011 , 11:39 PM | #19
yeah im sorry to say this but sounds like a failing gpu swtor did not kill your card. oh and on a side note battlefield 3 has been having lots of issues i stoped playing because of all the dam crashing on my gtx 570 have tryed everything to fix it and nothing has worked i would blame the crashing on that game if anything

best thing to do now would be to try and get a rma started or downclock your card to factory settings to see if that fixes the issue and get a osd so you can see what kind of temps your getting you may be killing your card with that overclock

nkitch
12.18.2011 , 11:47 PM | #20
I have an HD5570 also over clocked to 800/950 stupid question but have you set the fan speed to manual at a min of 75% or more ?

The ATI overdrive auto fan speed won't push the fan speed pass 15% till it starts to hit about 70c as it could be heat related.

My fan speed is at 75% and never go's above 60c playing swtor.

I also found setting the shadows to low with the rest on high gave much better performance.
The Bladehunter Legacy
Tomb of Freedon Nadd