Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Has SWTOR Wrecked my HD5770 ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Has SWTOR Wrecked my HD5770 ?

ThiefUK
12.18.2011 , 09:57 PM | #1
Admin Dont you Dare move me, i have already phoned your customer services office and had horrible service from them, you moved me to a topic before that died and had no responce, honestly if you move or lock this post, you've lost my money. no resub.

-

Hi,
I got early access (emailed) through on the 16th and started it all up all well and good, for some reason the graphics defaulted to lowest possible, which was odd, so i raised them all to max, everything.

Now, ever since that moment, my GPU has started to act up, badly, not just noticable in SWTOR but in other games, BF3 - SWTOR - Trine2 - All other games i have, here is a description of whats happening:

: 10 - 20 Minutes into Gameplay the game starts to lagg extremely bad, i recorded the FPS drop and found it to be a steady 60-70 FPS drop to 5-10 FPS, (unplayable) for a recorded 10-20 seconds.

- This would recur about 3 times in an hour

I have a ATI HD 5770 and its overclocked to GPU Clock: 900 MHZ - Memory Clock - 1300MHZ, i have tried turning the overclock off, no difference.

The worrying thing is, its getting worse, the spikes are occuring more often, the spike times are increasing/

The moment i turned SWTOR to full settings, it spiked for a good minute, and then all of the above started happening in sequence

(note i reinstalled drivers / reinstalled SWTOR)

Any help or resolve would be greatful

- System Spec

Q6600 Quad Core - Overclocked to 3.2GHZ
8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Vengence Ram
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard PRO
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital

Space_Gimp
12.18.2011 , 09:59 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ThiefUK View Post
Admin Dont you Dare move me, i have already phoned your customer services office and had horrible service from them, you moved me to a topic before that died and had no responce, honestly if you move or lock this post, you've lost my money. no resub.

-

Hi,
I got early access (emailed) through on the 16th and started it all up all well and good, for some reason the graphics defaulted to lowest possible, which was odd, so i raised them all to max, everything.

Now, ever since that moment, my GPU has started to act up, badly, not just noticable in SWTOR but in other games, BF3 - SWTOR - Trine2 - All other games i have, here is a description of whats happening:

: 10 - 20 Minutes into Gameplay the game starts to lagg extremely bad, i recorded the FPS drop and found it to be a steady 60-70 FPS drop to 5-10 FPS, (unplayable) for a recorded 10-20 seconds.

- This would recur about 3 times in an hour

I have a ATI HD 5770 and its overclocked to GPU Clock: 900 MHZ - Memory Clock - 1300MHZ, i have tried turning the overclock off, no difference.

The worrying thing is, its getting worse, the spikes are occuring more often, the spike times are increasing/

The moment i turned SWTOR to full settings, it spiked for a good minute, and then all of the above started happening in sequence

(note i reinstalled drivers / reinstalled SWTOR)

Any help or resolve would be greatful

- System Spec

Q6600 Quad Core - Overclocked to 3.2GHZ
8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Vengence Ram
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard PRO
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital
This is getting moved. Sorry. Can I have your stuff?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." - Ghandi

Tyranox
12.18.2011 , 09:59 PM | #3
shouldn this be in customer support?

Infiltrator
12.18.2011 , 10:05 PM | #4
Your graphics card might be going on you, I have two 5770 in CF in my old computer and they started acting up about a few months ago. I just think its a coincidence and bad luck my friend. The 5770 is a relatively old and cheap card.
I love trolls, they get my post count up.
Guildmaster of Intergalactic Legion, Republic PVE guild on Grand Master Zym server

Sentential
12.18.2011 , 10:10 PM | #5
I video game cant kill any physical piece of equipment unless it was from overheating which is ultimately your fault (especially if you are a smoker)

Elaithe
12.18.2011 , 10:10 PM | #6
Star wars did not mess up your graphics card...seriously...

Dabih
12.18.2011 , 10:13 PM | #7
OP mentions overclocking - I'd suggest start there, rewind everything back to normal.

Did you overclock your GPU too?

The reason you're not going to get much support is because people look and go "Oh, has enough knowledge to overclock their machine, should be able to work this out on their own or shouldn't have overclocked."

Tiresias
12.18.2011 , 10:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
I video game cant kill any physical piece of equipment unless it was from overheating which is ultimately your fault (especially if you are a smoker)
Uh... do you actually know anything about computers?

It is completely possible for an application to destroy hardware, and it can do it in a variety of ways. In almost every case such applications would be considered malware, but it has been known to occur though legitimate products.

Having said that, I do not believe that SWTOR interfaced with the correct O/S functions to cause these sort of issues. The game, however, is GPU and CPU intensive, and it can exacerbate already-existing issues. Either way, if you are having problems with your hardware you should run diagnostics ASAP, as well as look around for a cheap backup device so you can maintain operability should the part fail.

Fellthar
12.18.2011 , 10:15 PM | #9
SWTOR did not mess up your card. I have a 5770 with no problems (knock on wood lol). Your card is probably defective or some other issue happened that only became apparent recently. I had an 8800gt that started having issues suddenly when I started playing WotLK and it turns out my power supply was going bad and it fried the card.

Also, posting this here is a bit odd, and your post should be moved (or deleted). Your question isn't even related to SWTOR so I'm not sure what you expect them to do. Your card is bad, just move on.

Kashaan
12.18.2011 , 10:15 PM | #10
A game cannot mess up your graphics card... unless your card overheats trying to play a game on high or ultra, which is not the game's fault, it's yours for not having enough cooling or trying to push the card.

In other words... there's NO WAY, that TOR "wreaked your graphics card". It is impossible.
Pro-Addon, but also Pro-regulation. Working to keep addons that do more harm than good out of the game.