Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Useless stats on gear ?

MorgonKara
07.08.2012 , 02:59 PM | #1
List gear you find with useless stats & maybe one day they'll get a fix?

RE'd a Prototype quality strength Focus and got a Artifact recipe with Shield Rating as the new bonus stat? A Focus occupies the same slot a Shield would, no class or character can have a Focus equipped at any level or quality and benefit from Shield Rating.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

SturmUndSterne
07.08.2012 , 03:16 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgonKara View Post
List gear you find with useless stats & maybe one day they'll get a fix?

RE'd a Prototype quality strength Focus and got a Artifact recipe with Shield Rating as the new bonus stat? A Focus occupies the same slot a Shield would, no class or character can have a Focus equipped at any level or quality and benefit from Shield Rating.
You obviously don't know how the reverse-engineering process works. Go read the sticky..

JMCH
07.08.2012 , 03:32 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SturmUndSterne View Post
You obviously don't know how the reverse-engineering process works. Go read the sticky..
You obviously don't know how easily this should have been fixed.

After the "You already know that schematic" thing, it's now got to the point where we should wonder if TOR devs really are devs, as that's one of the first things you learn.

What's the point of shield/abs index on Cunning gear or on a focus/generator? No, there's no point, so there should be a check performed before the random selection, or different lists to chose the bonus from depending on the item.

In my case, it was shield index on a Cunning vibroknife, probably the best combo ever.

MorgonKara
07.08.2012 , 11:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post

After the "You already know that schematic" thing, it's now got to the point where we should wonder if TOR devs really are devs, as that's one of the first things you learn.

What's the point of shield/abs index on Cunning gear or on a focus/generator? No, there's no point, so there should be a check performed before the random selection, or different lists to chose the bonus from depending on the item.

In my case, it was shield index on a Cunning vibroknife, probably the best combo ever.
Yeah same issue, no Offhand-slot item should have Shield bonus stats except for Shields. Even worse -no class that uses Cunning as a main stat can even equip a Shield.

Is it gamebreaking? no.

Is it an annoying nonsensical inconvenience? yes.

I'm simply never going to use that recipe because;
  1. none of my characters can use it
  2. no one's characters will buy it or need it

It's kinda like putting Aim on a lightsaber. As a crafter I wouldn't do it.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

Azzirith
07.09.2012 , 12:29 AM | #5
My favorite are the world drop Assault cannons with Cunning and Defense/Shield Rating.

For those tanking Commando/Smugglers :P

lpsmash
07.09.2012 , 12:47 AM | #6
They put accuracy on Battlemaster Scoundrel/Operatives gear. Accuracy. Don't talk to me about useless stats!

SturmUndSterne
07.09.2012 , 07:09 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post

Easily?

You're basically proposing the devs completely recode armor and weapons so each is in its own reverse-engineering category. That's not easy.

Furthermore, I have several uses for shield/absorb on a focus or generator. What if you're in a class that CAN tank, in a DPS spec, in a low-level flashpoint and need to switch to off-tank when your tank wipes? It'd be nice to have some backup stats on your gear that make you a bit more survivable, no?

Basically - you're complaining about how the system was designed because you aren't willing to put in the work to get the schematic you want.

Mithros
07.09.2012 , 07:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SturmUndSterne View Post
Furthermore, I have several uses for shield/absorb on a focus or generator. What if you're in a class that CAN tank, in a DPS spec, in a low-level flashpoint and need to switch to off-tank when your tank wipes? It'd be nice to have some backup stats on your gear that make you a bit more survivable, no?
Having +shield and/or absorb on any off-hand item that is not a shield is a waste, period.
How does having +shield on a focus help you since without a shield your shield chance is always going to be zero?

Take your time.

Quote:
Basically - you're complaining about how the system was designed because you aren't willing to put in the work to get the schematic you want.
No, I think that the complaint is that Bioware's crafting people didn't put the work in to prevent these useless bits of gear from existing in the first place.

I have found a hundred or more +defense/shield/absorb armors that were either medium armors and/or had a higher aim, strength, or will than endurance, and despite putting many of them on the GTN to see if anyone wanted them, I do not recall selling any of them.

Never mind the absolutely useless +aim vibroknives and scatterguns, +cunning cannons, cannons or off-hand items with shield or absorb (other than shield generators, of course), and so on.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

lpsmash
07.09.2012 , 10:46 AM | #9
Quote:
Never mind the absolutely useless +aim vibroknives and scatterguns, +cunning cannons, cannons or off-hand items with shield or absorb (other than shield generators, of course), and so on.
Aim scattergun is used by Kailyo, the agent's first companion. Aim shank is used by a smuggler companion, can't even remember her name. The mandalorian Zabrak tank that I never cared about.

Quote:
Can't shield an attack without an actual shield though. Focus is not a shield.

GnatB
07.09.2012 , 11:35 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by lpsmash View Post
Aim scattergun is used by Kailyo, the agent's first companion. Aim shank is used by a smuggler companion, can't even remember her name. The mandalorian Zabrak tank that I never cared about.
Can't shield an attack without an actual shield though. Focus is not a shield.
Interesting, never noticed that kaliyo could use scatterguns or what's-her-name could use knives. (and I have both of them) Would be wierd for companions to use the opposite factions gear, though I guess it happens with Risha and sniper rifles. I gotta remember to check that when I get home.

But yeah, I don't have much issues with the RE'd stuff having useless stats. Most RE'd schematics are duds anyways, just don't bother making them and keep REing 'till you get the one (usually) worthwhile one.

Now, when you get a cunning assault cannon with shielding (or w/e) as a drop... yeah, that should be fixed.