Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Damage, Tank or Heals?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Damage, Tank or Heals?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PlagaNerezza
07.09.2012 , 12:34 PM | #11
First good to see a Dev comment once in a while on things.

Second, I play a tank in pve. It suits. Getting aggro is my game. Holding aggro is my thang.

I am a big pole IRL and taking damage just seems to fit with me.

I love my assassin tank skills. Its really sad that its effectiveness was so reduced with the tanksin nerf that hit the pve mitigation and AR. I am sad that its just not going to be NiM capable to tank.

I can do HM tanking and grabbing aggro and coming up with quick self heals is awesome. Most people love running with me as there tank these days in pugs. Group finder is just awesome for my tank.

Maybe if you take anything away from this thread its that I just wanted to let you know that if you could say to your dev friends that the tanksin nerf really hurt pve for the class it would be great. The mitigation and AR. Nerfing self healing some was fine. The AR/mitigation is killing us in pve at certain levels. I can see it on things like HM EV. Let alone some of the killers.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!

Lady_Alyria
07.10.2012 , 09:34 AM | #12
I usually play ranged dps and healers. I'm pretty good at both but I find healing more stressful. What I'm terrible at is tanking. I am quite possibly the worst tank in creation. I never know my way around anything, and tanks are supposed to lead, and I am awful at keeping aggro. I tend to avoid grouping as a tank though I might solo them in some games. Who cares if I get lost in the woods for four hours if I'm by myself?

azurefrog
07.10.2012 , 11:42 AM | #13
I find that Tanking is like herding cats.
I find that Healing is like juggling cats.
I find DPS boring, so I usually makes tanks and healers, and this game is no exception.
I have a 50 jugg and a 50 op, and I enjoy them both in PVP and PVE.

Helig
07.11.2012 , 06:09 AM | #14
All three in PvE. Biased towards tanking, but, sadly, this role in ToR PvP is too heavily group-based. As a damage-dealer, I get to decide who dies. As a healer, I get to decide who lives. As a tank, I, well, get to tag along and be a general nuisance to the enemy team. So I play my Guardian as a full tank exclusively in premades. For casual PuG PvP fun, I go Vigilance and never look back.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Canis_Anubis
07.11.2012 , 12:29 PM | #15
My default is tanking, but I'm in a group that's flooded with tanks, so I'm currently focusing on DPS.

Markosmartong
07.11.2012 , 12:41 PM | #16
I haven't done endgame on any class but, I really like the variety you get with alts. Sometimes tanking can be a lot of fun...and actually there are times when healing can have its moments..

IMO because this game actively gives gamers an incentive to play different classes I have been able to play all 3 roles which I really appreciate and it's something I really didn't do in that other game which I felt comfortable primarily playing one role even w/ dual spec options.

Amien
07.11.2012 , 06:10 PM | #17
When I want a casual experience, I DPS. When I want to feel important, I play my healer spec.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

Gwena
07.11.2012 , 07:09 PM | #18
I also prefer playing healers or ranged DPS. Healing I find rewarding, but more stressful, and ranged DPS is a bit more fun and something I'm more likely to do in a PUG. But if I'm comfortable in a group I usually tend to enjoy support roles.

Never tried tanking except solo (does keeping Quinn from getting mauled count? lol). I find it fun so far, though my sense of direction is lousy and I tend to like taking my time when I play, so I don't think I'm cut out to be a "career" tank. I kind of want to use the group finder for my lvl 26 Juggernaut, but he has most of his points in the tank skill tree and I don't know if I could get away with que'ing as DPS. Melee DPS isn't my favorite but the mere thought of que'ing up as a tank gives me hives, lol.
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Please consider using my referral link if you are a new player or a returning subscriber! What you get and more info here.

Toogeloo
07.11.2012 , 07:20 PM | #19
I have a Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Tank, and Healer on both Factions. I find the ranged dps to be very relaxing, almost little to no stress at all, and I attribute it to how faceroll they kind of are (Mercenary and Sage DPS). I actually don't like tanking that much, but I attribute that to playing Juggernaut Tank for the longest time. I rolled a Vanguard Tank later, and it's a lot less stressful, but overall, I just don't like tanking as much.

I find melee dps and healing to be right in the middle. Not too stressful, but not faceroll easy either. You have to pay more attention.

At the end of the day, I do kind of prefer ranged dps, because it allows me to perform my functions of raid leader much easier as well, allowing me to constantly survey the battle and call out adjustments while still maintaining my peak performance. Healing is probably my second favorite role as I can also survey fairly easily, but I feel like I am doing more than just slamming my head on the keyboard and being good at my class lol.

MarsDirewolf
08.13.2012 , 11:45 PM | #20
Okay, just because I am a Nurse, I think I am more of a healer (personality-wise). But as for my in-game practice, I'll go for DPS--- not that I enjoy being destructive, but because I find a greater sense of power in having the abilty to take down my enemies. Healing comes second.
I think my hair is smarter than my brain. It's sooooo smart that it defies my instructions.