Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting and itemization

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting and itemization

Hugedata
07.07.2012 , 01:23 PM | #1
Hi all.

After playing since pre-launce, I am finding myself less and less enthused about the current state of crafting. It feels like stuff invented because they just couldn't think up anything better.

Now I understand the need for gameplay over immersion since this is a game, but so much about the crafting system just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I've never been a big fan of armor with character stats on it because it seems silly. Willpower or cunning are better because I put on a pair of boots? Armor should have defensive stats. Endurance, Armor rating, Damage absorbtion, Avoidance... These make sense.

Weapons should have offensive stats and ratings such as range, damage, rate of fire, Area of effect.

I could understand stuff like relics and implants granting stats because it makes sense for them to do so. Although relics should be more geared towards force users and implants towards non-force. (i. e. relic grants force power, willpower, while implants grant cunning, aim, alacrity, crit, dodge...)

Now I am mainly playing this game because I love starwars. I really wish that the game systems would fall more inline with what we have seen in movies and read in the novels. Especially crafting abilities. Stuff like artificing should not exist at all. Jedi and Sith make their own lightsabers and the crystals used are normal crystals found in the galaxy; they don't need to be modified at all. Some crystals are better than others for lightsabers, but that is only due to the fact that better crystals improve the stability of the blade.

Armormech and armstech: Rarely in the Starwars universe do you ever hear of someone making their own armor or weapons (with the exception of lightsabers). There are enough big corporations out there building stuff in factories that these 2 professions are un-necessary. Now, modifying weapons and armor is a different story. We see that often in the lore.

Droid building is seen in canon all over the place, thus cybertech has a place. Slicing is also very comon. Biochem I have no problem with as there is a place for it, even if it is not grandized in the lore, it fills an obvious need.

One thing that is common in the Starwars universe is building and modifying vehicles. This is only loosely covered in the game by the cybertech profession with custom speeders (the same generic 3 so I don't see how they are custom) and starship upgrades.

So in summary, I wish BW had drawn more from the lore and less from wow and other clones for its crafting system. There are plenty of SWU-based examples to choose from:

Modify Armor
Modify Blasters
Modify Speeders
Modify Ships
Build Droids
Build Speeders
Build/Modify Cybernetic Implants
Create Health packs
Create Stims
Create Adrenals

Iram
07.08.2012 , 03:37 PM | #2
This would have been a useful post 2-3 years ago when this game was being designed. Making major changes to a production game is a seriously bad idea.

JMCH
07.08.2012 , 03:48 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Iram View Post
This would have been a useful post 2-3 years ago when this game was being designed. Making major changes to a production game is a seriously bad idea.
The game is in prerelease state and the crafting side is in alpha state.

I think it's a great idea to change crafting.

I totally agree with the perception of the OP, and was already wondering why there were implants for a Jedi and relics for a commando or bounty hunter the first day I played. These should have been separate pieces with similar uses, exactly like lightsabers and blasters, perhaps even with more implication in the game mechanics (implants of the said type could offer an advantage on this and a disadvantage on that, and so on).