Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Slicing] Critical success rate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Critical success rate

Triality
07.06.2012 , 10:21 AM | #1
I have noticed a significant decline in the number of critical slicing successes over the past two weeks so started collecting data for the community's review.

My personal conclusion is that critical successes are not working as intended for slicing missions (wavering on this as the sample size increases).

Updated: 7/27/2012

Total missions: 975
Critical success rate: 16.8%
Failure rate: 2.9%

I will continue to update this post with cumulative results; comments are encouraged. For those interested, test conditions follow…
Spoiler

Because we build the worlds we wouldn't mind living in. They contain scary things, problems, but also a sense of rightness that makes them alive and makes us want to live there.

Alastasia
07.06.2012 , 03:26 PM | #2
Sounds about right. I run four accounts at once, so 12 aug mat missions concurrently. I crit for purples at least once per iteration.

VegaPhone
07.06.2012 , 09:29 PM | #3
I think 10% is lower than it should be, but the problem is not just the low but somewhat reasonable low chance of critting anything, but it being random in what it crits.

I have run 100s of missions of lvl 6 lock box mission and not gotten 1 slicing mission drop. And if you look at the prices of slicing missions its around 100k per. So the biggest cut of augments comes from the random chance of getting a slicing recipe, and the same gathering lock box missions offer other missions to well over compensate the expenses of getting that hard to get slicing mission.

So in swtor economics the producers of raw goods makes more profit than the producer of the final product.

Is that a good thing? Or just interesting that it worked out differently than expected allowing slicers to make a huge profit from the random chance of getting slicing missions and of course other craft's missions as well for their crafts or to sell them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Alastasia View Post
Sounds about right. I run four accounts at once, so 12 aug mat missions concurrently. I crit for purples at least once per iteration.
4 accounts or 4 characters?

Spoletta
07.07.2012 , 01:30 AM | #4
I guess i must have been lucky then, out the 35~40 missions i sent i critted 16~17 times.

Triality
07.07.2012 , 06:34 AM | #5
There is a dev post that explains the numbers and how the percentages are derived. Last time I checked it, I should be around 18-20% crits.

That's what I was experiencing two weeks ago, but something changed.

Unfortunately, I have lost the post and searching has not pulled it up. From memory...
Base chance, all get this: 5%
Max affection: 10% (15% ?)
Legacy of crafting: 3%

There was something else, perhaps a pet bonus, but none of mine have that for slicing.

Regardless, it is certainly above the 12% (I got a few more crits) that I am now seeing.

If we could find that post we would have a reference for comparison.

Because we build the worlds we wouldn't mind living in. They contain scary things, problems, but also a sense of rightness that makes them alive and makes us want to live there.

Rhaphael
07.07.2012 , 10:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Triality View Post
There is a dev post that explains the numbers and how the percentages are derived. Last time I checked it, I should be around 18-20% crits.
Difficulty: Yellow/Green/Grey = 15%
Affection 10k = 5%
Legacy Crit Crafting = 0% (does not affect missions)

So the base chance for everyone is 15+5+0 = 20%

The OP's 9.9% indeed seems a bit low. But maybe it will go up with more mission runs.

Edit: As pointed out below the Legacy of Crafting does not affection mission crits. So the base chance for everyone is 20%.

SWE-Rage
07.07.2012 , 10:51 AM | #7
Legacy of Crafting doesnt have any impact on slicing missions. Legacy of crafting only effects crafting of items that can hold an augment slot (its been verified by Bioware, just search the forums), so its useless for mission skills or any craft that doesnt produce an augmentable item. The +3% included in calculations above are thus erroneous.

/T

Triality
07.07.2012 , 12:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SWE-Rage View Post
Legacy of Crafting doesnt have any impact on slicing missions. Legacy of crafting only effects crafting of items that can hold an augment slot (its been verified by Bioware, just search the forums), so its useless for mission skills or any craft that doesnt produce an augmentable item. The +3% included in calculations above are thus erroneous.

/T
That post was later corrected by Bioware. They added hte note that if an item would not hold an aug, the legacy of crafting increased the crit chance. Although they specifically called out doubles from crits (I get these often from synth and armormech made augments), nowhere did they mention slicing.

This was from Allison from the dev tracker...
The Legacy tooltip could be more clear - we'll look at improving it in the future. The perk itself (as noted earlier in the thread) does increase the chance of getting an augment slot on items that can have them. For items that can't, it gives you an increased chance for the effect of a critical when crafting those items (like producing an extra item).

Her post is here.

Either way, 20% is far better than I am experiencing.

AdamLKvist
07.07.2012 , 01:50 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Triality View Post
That post was later corrected by Bioware. They added hte note that if an item would not hold an aug, the legacy of crafting increased the crit chance. Although they specifically called out doubles from crits (I get these often from synth and armormech made augments), nowhere did they mention slicing.

This was from Allison from the dev tracker...
The Legacy tooltip could be more clear - we'll look at improving it in the future. The perk itself (as noted earlier in the thread) does increase the chance of getting an augment slot on items that can have them. For items that can't, it gives you an increased chance for the effect of a critical when crafting those items (like producing an extra item).

Her post is here.

Either way, 20% is far better than I am experiencing.
Its simple math for crying out loud. You need a sample size of 2000 before you get reliable information. You could get 100 fails in a row and it would still not mean you crit less than intended - the likehood isn't big. But these kind of threads are... Stupid.
The Forgotten Legacy
Ancestry/Mythology
TOFN

evanfardreamer
07.07.2012 , 02:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamLKvist View Post
Its simple math for crying out loud. You need a sample size of 2000 before you get reliable information. You could get 100 fails in a row and it would still not mean you crit less than intended - the likehood isn't big. But these kind of threads are... Stupid.
Are you serious? This gentleman (or lady) went to the effort of tracking the relevant data points for a hundred tries, and you say this is a stupid idea? Admittedly, the sample size could be larger, but this is the sort of behavior that should be encouraged, not scorned. And it wasn't just him basing his findings off the data - he thought that the missions were behaving a certain way, and so he performed an experiment to confirm that with hard data.

I say bravo to the OP.