Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Non RPers in RP realms due to server queues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Non RPers in RP realms due to server queues

Shakoba
12.18.2011 , 09:15 PM | #1
I wonder if this is happening, because of larger server queues in the non RP marked realms will we see an influx of people who have no interest in RP simply to avoid queues?

Cankiie
12.18.2011 , 10:11 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Shakoba View Post
I wonder if this is happening, because of larger server queues in the non RP marked realms will we see an influx of people who have no interest in RP simply to avoid queues?
There is PvE and PvP servers where there are no quenues at all, but we have long quenues on RP servers.

It is a shame indeed, and it may be that huge amount of people with no interest in RP at all, but who just wants to hang around in a "nicer" community, that causes these quenues, or it is maybe just that many more people got interested in RP because of Biowares style - we wouldn't know.

If it is the very first option is rather disrespectful, as there seem to be a lot more RP'ers who are very interested in getting on the server.

But we gotta welcome people with open arms

Korin
12.19.2011 , 12:45 AM | #3
It's a problem in every MMO with RP servers, the majority of the population will either have no desire to roleplay or no idea of what it is.

Get used to it, no company so far has favoured sticking up for the smaller RP community over the vast non-rp one and as such any/most reports of such detrimental behaviour go largely unpunished.

Darth_Slaine
12.19.2011 , 01:41 AM | #4
If it is the case, and I doubt that it is, it will give you a chance to introduce new people to RP.

Omnitroop
12.19.2011 , 06:26 AM | #5
I doubt we're seeing that now. The RP servers filled up first because there were less of them. Why would someone go to an RP server if there was a less occupied non-RP server available to them?

That being said, I've yet to see any RP... but without chat bubbles I may simply be missing it.

OddjobXL
12.19.2011 , 07:14 AM | #6
I see RP everywhere. Then again, I'm not really dependent on chat bubbles! Only ever toggle 'em on in very crowded settings. I don't want to miss text emotes, which is where your good roleplayers really shine with subtle work, and they tend not to get picked up in bubbles.

On Lord Adraas I've seen RP every time I've gone into the Republic Fleet's central cantina. Randomly around the grid in different spots there have been groups talking. Usually at the entrances to flashpoints or cab stops. I'm getting guilt tripped on Coruscant by the occasional individual or group of RPers strolling casually along the main strip using "/" walk. (I'm sorry guys, I respect the hell out of you, but I got places to go and things to do!).

I know the main RP scene is Nar Shaddaa but I haven't even gotten there yet.

There are also IC RP channels on Lord Adraas where I assume RP is going on. They're faction affiliated though and my character is currently an independent so I don't listen in.

JadeBranch
12.20.2011 , 09:58 AM | #7
People are also itchy to get in game and aren't very observational. It's easy for a non RPer to choose a RP server, especially if it has a cool name.

RP server? Why the heck not? This is an RPG isn't it? Did we not come here to play an RPG. And RP is two of those three letters.

Easy to just say "Ah, this is the one I need to go to." when in reality they want a rp-pve.

Jhaelis
12.20.2011 , 10:11 AM | #8
Its going to happen and is completely unavoidable. It happens for many reasons. I believe many people join thinking it will be fun, but they are timid because they do not know exactly how to roleplay. I've heard of some people joining these servers because they seem to think it automatically means less/easier competition for raids and PvP type activities. In the end, it really can be irrelevant to the RP community on a server as long as the RP community stays active on a given server. As long as you have activity, you will attract the roleplayers. As you attract more roleplayers, those players who are not just seem to fade into background.

DarthBetraeus
12.20.2011 , 11:04 AM | #9
Two out of the three servers I rolled characters on were RP servers and had a heavy to full population well before the release date, and these were chock full of players who made it blatantly obvious they had no interest in roleplay. It's just one of those unfortunate things that you have to deal with on RP servers. Though, it's always fun to see players with names like Captcandypants spam general for a flashpoint or heroic group for thirty minutes and nobody answers.
You will know pain. You will know suffering.

Rumze
12.20.2011 , 11:38 AM | #10
Im with Darth_Slaine on this one. Ive had folks stop and engage me in character, and responded in kind, even if it is just a nod in passing or a hello. And it seems the ones doing so are the ones new to rp servers more often than not.
Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove. -- Terry Pratchett
Bigby of the Moonshine Legacy