Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So Mace never won the duel?...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
So Mace never won the duel?...

Wolfninjajedi
07.06.2012 , 08:14 AM | #11
Guys this isn't really about the duel itself, well I mean it is but this is more about the blog post then the duel just the duel not the battle. The guy also addressed the duel.

Next point: Mace only fought as a perfect equal with Palpatine. The novel is very clear that Mace, even when his speed and combat efficiency are so acutely aggrandized, is still only an equal with Palpatine in a duel.
Vaapad made him an open channel, half of a superconducting loop completed by the shadow; they became a standing wave of battle that expanded into every cubic centimeter of the Chancellor's office. There was no scrap of carpet nor shred of chair that might not at any second disintegrate in flares of red or purple; lampstands became brief shields, sliced into segments that whirled through the air; couches became terrain to be climbed for advantage or overleapt in retreat. But there was still only the cycle of power, the endless loop, no wound taken on either side, not even the possibility of fatigue.
Impasse.

--Taken from Revenge of the Sith

Another source even bears mention that Palpatine forced Mace back.
In the inner recesses of his private office, the Jedi confronted the Chancellor. Palpatine produced a lightsaber hidden in his sleeve and let the dark side flow through him. It granted him unnatural dexterity and speed—enough to quickly kill three Jedi Masters and force the mighty Mace Windu back.

--Taken from The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

This proves that Mace is incontestably not a better duelist than Sidious regardless of what some may think.

Which leads us to the next point: If Mace isn't a more skilled duelist, how did he win? Setting aside the possibility that Palpatine allowed him to, the novel shows that Windu won by exploiting Palpatine's fear which caused him to become distracted and slow down. Mace felt fear emanating around the office, which he believed was Palpatine's, and abused it by breaking the window, resulting in Palpatine hesitating when he stood near it for fear of falling down. This allowed Mace to land a blow that disarmed him.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

ZeroOneNine
07.06.2012 , 08:24 AM | #12
Don't worry -- Lucas will go back in a decade or so to enhance the commentary track so that the audiance will know what he really meant.... until the double plus platinum special edition, which will completely reverse the context of what was said, since we didn't have the technology to properly understand it when the movie was first commented upon.

Malrus
07.06.2012 , 08:30 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Guys this isn't really about the duel itself, well I mean it is but this is more about the blog post then the duel just the duel not the battle. The guy also addressed the duel.

Next point: Mace only fought as a perfect equal with Palpatine. The novel is very clear that Mace, even when his speed and combat efficiency are so acutely aggrandized, is still only an equal with Palpatine in a duel.
Vaapad made him an open channel, half of a superconducting loop completed by the shadow; they became a standing wave of battle that expanded into every cubic centimeter of the Chancellor's office. There was no scrap of carpet nor shred of chair that might not at any second disintegrate in flares of red or purple; lampstands became brief shields, sliced into segments that whirled through the air; couches became terrain to be climbed for advantage or overleapt in retreat. But there was still only the cycle of power, the endless loop, no wound taken on either side, not even the possibility of fatigue.
Impasse.

--Taken from Revenge of the Sith

Another source even bears mention that Palpatine forced Mace back.
In the inner recesses of his private office, the Jedi confronted the Chancellor. Palpatine produced a lightsaber hidden in his sleeve and let the dark side flow through him. It granted him unnatural dexterity and speed—enough to quickly kill three Jedi Masters and force the mighty Mace Windu back.

--Taken from The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

This proves that Mace is incontestably not a better duelist than Sidious regardless of what some may think.

Which leads us to the next point: If Mace isn't a more skilled duelist, how did he win? Setting aside the possibility that Palpatine allowed him to, the novel shows that Windu won by exploiting Palpatine's fear which caused him to become distracted and slow down. Mace felt fear emanating around the office, which he believed was Palpatine's, and abused it by breaking the window, resulting in Palpatine hesitating when he stood near it for fear of falling down. This allowed Mace to land a blow that disarmed him.
Someone really needs to write down a list of all the most asked star wars questions, sneak into Skywalker ranch and slip a note with all the questions on it under the door and some how get George Lucas to address them through starwars.com or something haha (just joking )

Captain_Zone
07.06.2012 , 09:49 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroOneNine View Post
Don't worry -- Lucas will go back in a decade or so to enhance the commentary track so that the audiance will know what he really meant.... until the double plus platinum special edition, which will completely reverse the context of what was said, since we didn't have the technology to properly understand it when the movie was first commented upon.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. George did it after 25 years of Han shooting Greedo down in cold blood, and then shooting first. Finally, he said "Greedo shot first" while wearing a HAN SHOT FIRST T-SHIRT!

Next, it'll be "Sid Won by playing possum!" then "Mace COULD have won!" Then "Mace WINS OUTRIGHT!" with some skillful editing that completely retcons the OT by making Sidious die by Mace's Lightsaber in RotS.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Aurbere
07.06.2012 , 09:56 AM | #15
I'm going to start off by saying that, I don't curse so any words you see that don't belong are replacements for curses.

Mace Windu won. Becuase he is SAMUEL L JACKSON. Pals couldn't use all of his powerful moves because Mace was going all gangsta on him. You saw the look on his face. Mace was all "Ima kill you Oldylocks" And Palps was like "Oh don't kill me, please!" And the Anakin said "Noooooooooooooo! I need him to save Padme!"
And then Mace "No way fool! This piece of spit is going down!" And then Anakin sliced poor Sam up.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Aurbere
07.06.2012 , 10:02 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Malrus View Post

p.s Does anyone else find it funny that when Windu gets one hand cut off he screams like he has a sharp pole up his arse but when Dooku has both hands cut off he doesn't say a word.
Dooku didn't make any sound because everybody knows that Sir Christopher Lee is so much more awesome than Samuel L. Jackson.
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Captain_Zone
07.06.2012 , 10:18 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I'm going to start off by saying that, I don't curse so any words you see that don't belong are replacements for curses.

Mace Windu won. Becuase he is SAMUEL L JACKSON. Pals couldn't use all of his powerful moves because Mace was going all gangsta on him. You saw the look on his face. Mace was all "Ima kill you Oldylocks" And Palps was like "Oh don't kill me, please!" And the Anakin said "Noooooooooooooo! I need him to save Padme!"
And then Mace "No way fool! This piece of spit is going down!" And then Anakin sliced poor Sam up.
Oldylocks... I LOL'd.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Malrus
07.06.2012 , 10:18 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Dooku didn't make any sound because everybody knows that Sir Christopher Lee is so much more awesome than Samuel L. Jackson.
*brofist* Hell yea he is. I said the exact same thing about Sir Christopher Lee in another thread. *double brofist*

Plus we have matching Gnost Dural avatars *triple brofist*

Aurbere
07.06.2012 , 10:24 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Oldylocks... I LOL'd.
What's funny is that I can picture Samuel Jackson saying that.

Aurbere
07.06.2012 , 10:25 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Malrus View Post
*brofist* Hell yea he is. I said the exact same thing about Sir Christopher Lee in another thread. *double brofist*

Plus we have matching Gnost Dural avatars *triple brofist*
*brofist* I lol'ed at that. I wish Lee had a larger role in ep. 3. They killed him off to fast imo.