Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This game possibly has the worst UI of all time

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
This game possibly has the worst UI of all time

Colobulous
12.18.2011 , 11:14 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
Is people so bad at gaming that require everything in a silver plate? Mods, Custom UI, we didn't have any on that nonsense before and we managed.
Yeah, I remember the days when a difficulty setting was toggling a switch, and we had ONE BUTTON!

Why not go back to those days?

Lucuris
12.18.2011 , 11:14 PM | #22
dude give this game a break, it has not even released officially yet. I am sure that they will let people mod or have tools to be able to change the UI.The UI is not bad,you are just probably used to the WOW UI or how they let you change it to what you want.Remember this game is still NEW, WOW has had time to fix the UI, and people to make better a better UI

just give it time, it will be fine.

Karees
12.18.2011 , 11:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
Is people so bad at gaming that require everything in a silver plate? Mods, Custom UI, we didn't have any on that nonsense before and we managed.
I played EQ1 from release. That's when you had the tiny little viewfinder port with a bunch of UI all around. I believe you had 6 hotkey buttons to use. Was it bad? Yes. Did I mind it? No, but I have gotten spoiled. I have toys and I want to be able to play with them. I've seen what good UI design can look like. I want to be able to customize my UI experience. Apparently Bioware agrees as that is on their todo list.

Kolreth
12.18.2011 , 11:20 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucuris View Post
dude give this game a break, it has not even released officially yet. I am sure that they will let people mod or have tools to be able to change the UI.The UI is not bad,you are just probably used to the WOW UI or how they let you change it to what you want.Remember this game is still NEW, WOW has had time to fix the UI, and people to make better a better UI

I've paid for it and it's in my hands, and the 2 doctors posted a Welcome to the launch of the Old Republic at the start of early access. The game is officially launched.

Karees
12.18.2011 , 11:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucuris View Post

You are most likely correct in that. We want to keep this in the forefront for them as we see it as something that we would really like to have. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm not standing on my head screaming about the UI.

I do grumble under my breath when I can't have my hotkey display setup how I like it, but I can deal with waiting for them to polish that part of the UI up. I want a modable UI, but I don't want something slapdash either.

Also, PLEASE add global rebinding to your list Bioware. My toomanyaltitis will love you forever.

elvinu
12.18.2011 , 11:20 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by RachelAnne View Post
I like the UI, i has everything I need - I can disable or enable windows, just how I want to. What else do you need?
hhaha, hahah. warning! fanboy alert! np ehere is always one here.

u need to customize it....make it safe. example:

if you pet comes from a mission, and you open quest windows in the same time by mistake that dissapears...vanish. and vice-versa. you have to do another mission/quest to give you the window again. unless there is an option for that.

and i'm gonna make an addon that will disable ANY cinematics from the game.. so annoying.
"Victory is the only truth that matters" one smart Zealot.

Zhit
12.18.2011 , 11:21 PM | #27
Quote:
Bioware will be releasing addon and UI tools in time. I think it's one of their main priorities.
Anyone that thinks the UI is usable has never tried to heal. Any flashpoint after Black Talon requires a healer. And as the game stands right now--healing is a chore. I play a game to be entertained--not to be frustrated.

Folks say--get used to it. But why? Why do I have to look in a separate place to watch my health then the rest of the groups? Why are companions listed under their owners instead of as party members? Function key selection is the only reliable way to chose the healing target. And I can go on and on about the problems.

Sure these would have been acceptable in 2005. But games have progressed.

Certainly beta testers gave feedback about the usability of the interface. Had BW created an open interface from the start, there wouldn't be these problems. Beta players would have created addons to get around the limitations. BW I'm sure had their reasons. I suspect this game will hold the attention of the masses that ordered the game for a few months and then we'll start to see some pretty empty servers as everyone returns to WoW or starts playing the next great game.... Sad.

Macorden
12.21.2011 , 02:38 AM | #28
Now that the game is officially released, I would like to say it is officially a terrible UI.

rehnisjr
12.21.2011 , 02:42 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kolreth View Post
No you can't move any part of the UI except for resizing/making new chat windows. And for some stupid reason the left hand quickslot bars' top quickslot is half covered by the chat window by DEFAULT! Whose dumb idea was that?
haha, I have suffered from this several times. My bars are getting full, so I put some less important stuff up there, like stims which i have no keybind for, and I pretty much only use in pvp. When I go into warzones I try to minimize the chat, but those times I have not done it and in an emergency tried to klick my stims I instead start chatting. Who the hell did not see that coming when they made the ui, did they have two independently working guys working on it?

kitharen
12.21.2011 , 02:46 AM | #30
Funnily enough I think the UI is one of the best I've ever seen upon MMO release. Could be EQ blurred my view on this.
"So uncivilized..."