Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Heal Spec Character + Tank Companion in DPS Gear = ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Heal Spec Character + Tank Companion in DPS Gear = ?

Heezdedjim
07.04.2012 , 10:48 AM | #1
Just wondering if anyone running a healing main spec has tried out the tanking companions in DPS rather than tank gear.

As a DPS (Infiltration) shadow, I liked Qyzen right up through 50, and still use him as my default companion for all solo PvE. I put him in full recruit Supercommando kit when I hit 50, and he now has a couple pieces of spare exotech and columi I picked up on raids. He seems to tank pretty much anything I want to solo just fine, and only rarely he may die just before some really nasty mob goes down.

As a heal spec scoundrel, I have been using Corso since the start and he works out very well. Now I'm debating whether to get the Supercommando or Eliminator set for him when I hit 50. He would still have the Supercommando shield on either way, but other than that it seems like DPS gear might make him kill a little faster. My usual style is just to stand around and heal him while he does all the work.

RendValor
07.04.2012 , 12:07 PM | #2
Tank companion in tank gear takes less damage therefore leaves you more time to do the DPSing yourself. The DPS potential of a healer player character is much greater than the damage potential of a tank companion.

As a side note, may I recommend a Sawbones/Dirty Fighting hybrid spec for a Scoundrel? has excellent healing, excellent damage and superb energy management.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

AshlaBoga
08.09.2012 , 08:50 PM | #3
Your idea's great for leveling, but once you have to do level 50 dailies I'd suggest putting your tank comp, in tank gear.

Khem for instance isn't bad when I stack strength, but doing Lights Out with Khem in dps gear is much harder than having him geared as a tank.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption