Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Am i wrong in picking an RP-PvE server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Am i wrong in picking an RP-PvE server?

OddballEasyEight
12.13.2011 , 11:49 AM | #1
I am very new to this whole MMO scene... tried a bit of anarchy online for a few days but didnt really get into it. Tried 14 days free trial of SWG way back in the day but ended up spending most of my time dancing in cantinas for money more or less...
I also played city of heroes on a free trial, but couldnt see myself playing it long-term.

BUT, im going to play SW:TOR since i fell in love with it when trying it for the beta weekend and im a huge fan of RP games in general and KotOR specifically...

so, i decided id go on an RP server for a couple of reasons:
1: i hate it when people have dum names like xXxIhaveabig####xXx and the like.
2: i want to play with people who act like what they are playing (so no light side pure jedi consulars ninja-ing my loot and letting me do all the legwork in flashpoints)
3: i intend to make decisions and generally act like my character would in the game.

I dont intend to be in-character all the time tho and im not really sure about the rules of conduct on RP servers... i like to take it easy off-character without having to go through loops to do it...
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/6S24xq free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-...roj4L9Q/videos my blaster sound videos.

Bobinator
12.13.2011 , 11:53 AM | #2
Well...any RP-PvE will work...just take a pick. Dont let anyone sway you to this or that, pick for yourself basically. Of course im abit of a believer in you go to a RP-PvE server you should atleast RP seeing thats what it for and some very hard core RPers believe you should just go off to a pve server so you dont take up spots for RPers.

It varies, sometimes the RP community is good sometimes its drama fulled.
As of right now, i'm rash free.

Silvernos
12.13.2011 , 11:54 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
I am very new to this whole MMO scene... tried a bit of anarchy online for a few days but didnt really get into it. Tried 14 days free trial of SWG way back in the day but ended up spending most of my time dancing in cantinas for money more or less...
I also played city of heroes on a free trial, but couldnt see myself playing it long-term.

BUT, im going to play SW:TOR since i fell in love with it when trying it for the beta weekend and im a huge fan of RP games in general and KotOR specifically...

so, i decided id go on an RP server for a couple of reasons:
1: i hate it when people have dum names like xXxIhaveabig####xXx and the like.
2: i want to play with people who act like what they are playing (so no light side pure jedi consulars ninja-ing my loot and letting me do all the legwork in flashpoints)
3: i intend to make decisions and generally act like my character would in the game.

I dont intend to be in-character all the time tho and im not really sure about the rules of conduct on RP servers... i like to take it easy off-character without having to go through loops to do it...
A RP Server doesnt demand players to be In Character all the time, we all need to be able to run around in a warzone kicking of some steam . The most important for those on a RP Server is that you support Roleplay, and when you do not RP yourself, you do not spend your time annoying other players and individuals in their game experience.

And if you want to RP occasionally, you are definitly more then welcome on a RP Server.

Hope it helps.
The Enclave of Tython
"A new place, a fresh start, a renewed hope, that is what we have here on Tython."
-Forum Thread - Guild Website - Guild Forums - Guild HQ-

Surberus
12.13.2011 , 11:56 AM | #4
I'm unsure about any official rules of conduct asside from a naming policy, and if there are, they're generally not policed very effectively (This is true for previous games, not sure about TOR).

You generally find most roleplayers are similar to you, roleplaying when it suits them, and performing missions / participating in Warzones, Operations or Flashpoints.

Ultimately it's your game to play and you should play it as you wish.

One element of RP servers which generally is unique to them, are arguments about roleplay being difficult to rectify as they're down to a persons perception, often really trivial things like

"You couldn't enter to see me playing pazaak while smuggling slaves as that door was locked! So there!"

In my experience though, these occasions are rare, and you fall into a niche of roleplay which suits you and your character.

Any decent person who RPs should feel it is perfectly reasonable to help out less experienced Roleplayers if they are asked for advise.
Your friendly neighbourhood space slug
TRASK ULGO

Zack_wester
12.13.2011 , 01:37 PM | #5
Well I would prefer if you went to an normal server first to learn the rope.
Wait if you got around in the beta then skip that but something anyone should do it so read an bit of lore in most case the amount provided in game is enough for the basic but to get into the higher ranks you need to read an bit.

Don't aim to hight sith lord and that as everyone would be one even if the quest addresses you as sith, same reason.

that's all to begin whit.
Let see what mess we can get ourself into.
//Z.wester
//True full time Role player so you know where to find me.

OddballEasyEight
12.13.2011 , 02:44 PM | #6
Im well versed in the lore (at least for anyone that hasnt read every single SW novel ever made, but i did gammaster the roleplaying game once upon a time and ive also read alot of wookiepedia stuff... that site is dangerous :P )

and ive played in the beta like i said... and ive played alot of RPG's (both computer and pen and paper) so that bits done...
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.

vahn_ails
12.13.2011 , 02:51 PM | #7
you're overthinkin' it dude. RP servers usually have slightly more stringent naming policies and less stigma around roleplay. If you want to start on an RP server, by all means; each server is made by its community (or lack thereof).

OddballEasyEight
12.13.2011 , 04:10 PM | #8
Oh well, i went with an RP-PvE server after all... well... there was no doubt about it really, once that server selection screen came up it was the only choice for me.

see y'all out there!

DrJBlueBubble
12.13.2011 , 11:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Oh well, i went with an RP-PvE server after all... well... there was no doubt about it really, once that server selection screen came up it was the only choice for me.

see y'all out there!
Hey Oddball. I'm new-to-the-scene-too, and thinking of following the same route. Sort of curious to try out some of the RP parts, but not quite sure how it's going to play out. Let us know how it goes if you get a chance!
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. -battlebug

Shakoba
12.14.2011 , 02:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DrJBlueBubble View Post
Hey Oddball.
I read that while tired and thought "that's a rude way to start a reply" then read his name. Silly me