Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Stagnation of MMO industry/genre and why

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Stagnation of MMO industry/genre and why

nartiuslightlord
07.04.2012 , 07:13 AM | #51
Good Read OP.

I have learned one thing with developers over these many years.. they tend to do what they want regardless of the commuitys suggestions outcry's whatever.

I don't envy them though. I have it good from here. i can walk away they can't.

Truth be told, whats been created here is done. you have to learn to find the fun in it, or walk away.

Good read.
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

Aubrac
07.04.2012 , 07:14 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
I stopped reading at grand daddy of MMOs.

If you dont know who the grand daddy is, how can you form a accurate opinion!

But Ill save people the reading (even if it doesnt say this)

The genre is stagnated because it got to dumbed down

People that leave WOW are not looking to play WOW again, and those that didnt leave WOW are not your customers!

So stop copying all the dumbing down and add challenge and duration back into the games. Simple as that!

Anyone tells you other stuff and they simply dont have a foot to stand on.

And again, if you want grand daddy of MMOs, look back to 1991.
UO was # 7 or #8 if you want to be totally honest about the discussion.
This person clearly has no idea what he is talking about. He would gladly throw away a large majority of the MMO playerbase (i.e. casual players) for the sake of his own personal preferences. Also, whether there was some niche pseudo-MMO in the 90's is irrelevant. The OP is correct that the grand-daddy of MMOs is Ultima Online.

The OP makes some good points and I think that a lot of those changes would make for an interesting MMO experience. Whether taking out the leveling would be a good idea or not, I can't say. It's an interesting concept however, humans usually take the path of least resistance and need to be motivated by something. I'd be really interested to see how a no leveling MMO would work out though.

Valkirus
07.04.2012 , 07:16 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
That's a rather unfair comparison. It's better to get a percentage of players which give the game a high rating. That way you can get a good idea about which MMO has a higher percentage of happy players. Besides; you can't realistically conclude that having a high subscription number automatically means that millions of people think that MMO did it better.

Anyway, I'd rather see MMO developers stop focusing on getting the largest subscriber base. I want those niche games which are catered to my taste. Not something which is catered to everyone's taste.
Except ask the same question ot the game developers and they will tell you if they could get WoW's sub base numbers, they would in a heart beat. The cold facts are, all MMO companies are like any other companies, they want to make money and the more the merrier. And they do judge the success of thier games and thier competition on those sub numbers.
Trust is something which is earned.

Aricus
07.04.2012 , 07:24 AM | #54
I agree with points 1 and 3 and somewhat 2. Personally I enjoy the leveling grind the most in SWTOR and its not bad in other MMOs. What I dislike though is the End Game. The fact that MMOs are basically kill kill kill for progression. There's nothing else. You can't just decide hey I just want to solely be a pure crafter and progress that way, while being meaningful to the economy and community. Or set out to be the baddest guild in the game world (not just pvp wz or raids) or better yet have guild wars between other guilds. And of course housing.. Not instant housing.

Ellvaan
07.04.2012 , 07:27 AM | #55
Greetings everyone!

We appreciate the constructive discussion! As a gentle reminder, please make sure to keep your replies to this thread as it relates to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. While we understand that other games will be used for comparison, we do ask that the thread remain on topic for this forum.

Thank you and please enjoy your discussion!

KennethHoover
07.04.2012 , 07:28 AM | #56
Good post, OP. I also believe that in the future companies are going to need to think out of the box to make their products successful.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Rafaman
07.04.2012 , 07:38 AM | #57
Interesting points. And I don't disagree with any of them. However, I think the stagnation really comes down to MMOs trying to be all things to all players. Niche apparently is a bad word for developers and I don't understand why. Why not specialize on any one aspect and go from there? An MMO that is focused on endgame and not leveling or maybe the opposite and MMO that is based on story as the end game, or how about an MMO purely based on PvP?

The MMO community is schizophrenic. Pick a "phrenia" and drive it and you will see more innovation. Subs will be lower, but they will be consistent and loyal. Cater to specific groups needs and you will have dedicated gamers of that ilk playing until the wheels fall off.

Valkirus
07.04.2012 , 08:02 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
Interesting points. And I don't disagree with any of them. However, I think the stagnation really comes down to MMOs trying to be all things to all players. Niche apparently is a bad word for developers and I don't understand why. Why not specialize on any one aspect and go from there? An MMO that is focused on endgame and not leveling or maybe the opposite and MMO that is based on story as the end game, or how about an MMO purely based on PvP?

The MMO community is schizophrenic. Pick a "phrenia" and drive it and you will see more innovation. Subs will be lower, but they will be consistent and loyal. Cater to specific groups needs and you will have dedicated gamers of that ilk playing until the wheels fall off.
If you create a MMO which can appeal to a large player base, then you will have the stuff needed to have a larger player base. If you mainly cater to one certain type of player, then you will limit the potential for a larger number of players. The MMO's which have struggled lately are ones which have tried to focus on one type of game play. That is, if they make a main villian in thier MMO story and then not have the tools needed for "all' thier players to experence it, they have failed to appeal to the larger player base.

At this point in TOR, they have a choice, do they stick with thier content developement direction as is and accept a smaller player base or do they make the needed changes to draw in a lot more players. Depends not on what the players want so much, but what EA, Lucus Arts and BioWare have for thier goals for TOR.
Trust is something which is earned.

RangerRobEU
07.04.2012 , 08:22 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Valkirus View Post
At this point in TOR, they have a choice, do they stick with thier content developement direction as is and accept a smaller player base or do they make the needed changes to draw in a lot more players. Depends not on what the players want so much, but what EA, Lucus Arts and BioWare have for thier goals for TOR.
Truth is I think that 'choice' went out the window in December and January. You have to hit the market whilst it's hot for you and back then there was NOTHING hotter than TOR for most players. The problem is by the end of January the hype machine had well and truly worn off and spun in a negative direction leaving EA/BW with the issue of having to regain momentum which is always vastly more difficult in a title post-release.

I'm not saying it can't be done but the fact is the vast majority of people who actually wanted to play TOR will have already played it by now - those who enjoyed it are still playing and those who didn't would take an awful lot of convincing to return. Most people who haven't played the game already just aren't interested, either they are happy with their current MMO or the genre or IP doesn't appeal to them in the first place.

Lyynk
07.04.2012 , 08:30 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Wefi View Post
Lucas Arts tried most of it. SWG had no set roles, classes, or any "gear: tier.

but we all know how that ended.
This. It's been tried and we saw how that turned out. What you're describing appears to be a niche market. A lot of people play WoW because they like the kind of things that you apparently detest. When someone "innovates," it doesn't seem to bode well. I loved SWG before they changed it into a class/level system.

But, with that said, I read your entire post and felt it was not very organized and just a lot of rambling. However, I do agree with the server/shard concept. If all MMOs could have a single server like EVE, that would be awesome.