Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Stagnation of MMO industry/genre and why

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Stagnation of MMO industry/genre and why

Deyjarl
07.06.2012 , 06:21 PM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by Tahana View Post
You still have to level per se in that you have to get the additional abilities. .
That is why everything is repeatable. You can potentially learn every skill in the game. Relatively easy also. I tried one setup to start and hated it, hour later instead of re-rolling I already had a good start on the new path I was going to take, while drops and not having to start all over.

And what is wrong with the engine? Their DX11 graphics at max are pretty darn good. You can't upgrade yourself out of customers.

I think most games will sit on upgrading graphics until economies improve, as people are going to be putting off upgrading computers for awhile.
What is your Duty? To serve Emperor's Will.
What is Emperor's Will? That we fight and die.
What is Death? It is our duty.
What is your Duty? ...

LogunOne
07.07.2012 , 11:57 AM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
*Bangs head on desk*

IT WAS NOT THE FIRST!!!!
Jesus I wished people actually did a google search before posting this nonsense!

1991 -1997
1) Neverwinter Nights on AOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwi...ghts_(AOL_game)

2) Imagination Network game I forget name of

3) The Realms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Realm_Online

4) Dark Sun Online
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun_Online

5) Meridian 59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_59

6) Twilight Lands
(no wiki, went bankrupt soon after launching before UO hit the sceen)

7) Ultima Online
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online

HAVE I MADE MY POINT YET????

And if you actually do some research and read these pages, EVEN UO doesnt claim to be the first or most influencial. So why do you fanbois insist on trying to rewrite history to your own liking?????

PS: EQ is the BIGGUN and anyone that played back then knows the current genre is based off EQ, not UO. EQ is the template for themepark MMORPGs and was copied in a assortment of games, not to mention WOW who basically copied EQ and then just dumbed everything down to the lowest common denominator.

UO is not the first
UO is not the template for modern MMORPGs
UOs biggest claim to fame is houseing (they updated the concept introduced FIRST in The Realms) and having 1000 players on a server at one time (previous high was 750 by NWN on AOL (thats right, there was only a 250 player difference between NWN and UO for supporting online. It wasnt this amazing break through and new standard and if you played UO at launch you know the 1000 players number was just a selling point, the lag was idiotic and was unplayable for many people. In reality UO should have released with 500 player caps on servers) just before it shut down in 97)

And cosmic is correct that EQ borrowed heavily from those games that came BEFORE UO. EQ did not borrow from UO and actually sold their product on the fact they were the opposite of UO (which was hugely appealing to the masses that left UO shortly after buying the game)

So can you and yours PLEASE stop trying to rewrite history to your own desires.
Just because you didnt play those games before UO doesnt mean they didnt exist and didnt heavily influence EQ (which again has become the staple to build off of in the MMORPG genre).
Just FYI ....The term MMORPG was coined by Richard Garriott, the creator of Ultima Online, in 1997 so technically not the first in the genre it was the first to be defined as a MMORPG. Therefor Ultima Online could be considered the Grand Daddy of what has become known as the MMORPG.

azuazunyan
07.08.2012 , 02:10 AM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by twinionx View Post
2. In fact I do have some idea, but since I am not a game developer, I have no idea if a role would be fun. One e.g. is the "thief" role. (in modern or sci-fi settings they could be hackers) Someone who can help to bypass traps, detect hidden doors, unlock locked doors etc... If this is a non-essential role, then all these bypass traps things could be to make the dungeon run less tedious (but without such a role, can still complete the dungeon). )
This is why they had Slicing as a Crew Skill, right? I mean, it's not like the game has tons of puzzles to solve in a flashpoint/instance just to create a role specifically design to fill them in. Yes, I know Slicing is useless in its current form but I really don't think it will be a full blown class in the near future. Star Wars has a whole lot of characters which you can turn into a specific class, and much like any MMO, they will come in the future.

Quote: Originally Posted by twinionx View Post
4. Well, if you noticed, these are still epeens. Just that they are purely cosmetic epeens. Another way to show growth and power is to give abilities that does not affect combat gameplay much. For e.g., an experience player could have the teleport anywhere ability to show his "power" but essentially does not affect dungeon runs. He can still group up with a new player. Of course, the experienced will be wearing nice looking gear the LOOK powerful while the new player will essentially dress in rags. Really, it's up to the designer to design rewards that don't necessary makes the more experienced player more powerful. (Just to put things into perspective, the concept of bolster already cause this to be a reality. This is why a level 10 and a level 49 can be playing together in a warzone)
I think the best way to progress a character without number crunching is through crafting and gathering the needed materials to create good gear. However, I think the game will need a huge character development system overhaul to do just that.

Goretzu
07.08.2012 , 03:49 AM | #254
Most MMORPGs since (and including) WoW have just been a poor, partial, remake of EQ1, never pushing the genre on from 1999 to 2003.

Unfortuantely those that haven't been have largely be with small companies that have struggled with the basic issues of MMORPG logistics, never giving the games themselves much of a chance.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Goretzu
07.08.2012 , 03:55 AM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by LogunOne View Post
Just FYI ....The term MMORPG was coined by Richard Garriott, the creator of Ultima Online, in 1997 so technically not the first in the genre it was the first to be defined as a MMORPG. Therefor Ultima Online could be considered the Grand Daddy of what has become known as the MMORPG.
Yeah I'd still consider UO to be the first genuine, clear cut, MMORPG, although there's a lot of muddy water between it and something that might be clearly defined as a MUD.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Ellvaan
07.08.2012 , 05:31 AM | #256
Greetings everyone!

While we appreciate that this thread has remained constructive and we do understand that other games will be used for comparison to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, we do ask that your replies to this thread still relate to the game in some aspect.

We look forward to your feedback and discussion!

Have a great day!

Rayla_Felana
07.08.2012 , 06:39 AM | #257
I love the irony of the term 'WoW-clone'.

Gangrel
07.08.2012 , 07:08 AM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by Deyjarl View Post
That is why everything is repeatable. You can potentially learn every skill in the game. Relatively easy also. I tried one setup to start and hated it, hour later instead of re-rolling I already had a good start on the new path I was going to take, while drops and not having to start all over.

And what is wrong with the engine? Their DX11 graphics at max are pretty darn good. You can't upgrade yourself out of customers.

I think most games will sit on upgrading graphics until economies improve, as people are going to be putting off upgrading computers for awhile.
To be honest, i am impressed that Funcom had the guts to charge the EU/UK people *more* than other MMO's charge in their own regions.

The US customers get the game at the same rate as other MMO's in the US.

However, in the EU... subscribers are being charged €14.99/month to play (normal rate for MMO's is €12.99), and in the UK, they are being charged £11.49 (normal rate is £8.99)

So i feel that they are pricing themselves out of the competition as well (especially as their refer a friend promo that is running right now is a 1 day trial)
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) I have seen more intellegence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.

Valkirus
07.08.2012 , 07:10 AM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Most MMORPGs since (and including) WoW have just been a poor, partial, remake of EQ1, never pushing the genre on from 1999 to 2003.

Unfortuantely those that haven't been have largely be with small companies that have struggled with the basic issues of MMORPG logistics, never giving the games themselves much of a chance.
There are millions who would disagree with you about WoW being a poor copy of EQ. For one, I hated how you enteracted with the npc's and the game world in general in EQ. WoW improved that aspect a lot. And TOR now has one of the best customizing UI's on the market. Of the two MMO's..we know which has been the most successful and it sure is not EQ. :P
Trust is something which is earned.

Valkirus
07.08.2012 , 07:17 AM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
To be honest, i am impressed that Funcom had the guts to charge the EU/UK people *more* than other MMO's charge in their own regions.

The US customers get the game at the same rate as other MMO's in the US.

However, in the EU... subscribers are being charged €14.99/month to play (normal rate for MMO's is €12.99), and in the UK, they are being charged £11.49 (normal rate is £8.99)

So i feel that they are pricing themselves out of the competition as well (especially as their refer a friend promo that is running right now is a 1 day trial)
I think in general all MMO's which charge a monthly sub overcharge. Esp in today's weak economy. They would get more subs if they lowered the price down to a more reasonable price. No MMO should exceed 9.99 US dollars per month. And like you have pointed out, they should adjust that price down to equal whatever it would be in other countries. FTP models are the wave of the future because of this. And I have read LOTRO has made more money sence they went to FTP than they did when they had a all sub base. It gives the player the option to spend what they can afford to pay each year. One reason GW2 will gain a lot of new players.
Trust is something which is earned.