Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

EverSteam
08.06.2012 , 04:06 AM | #41
Oh noooo, poor Quinn!
He'll be so sad....
But score for Andronikos

bright_ephemera
08.06.2012 , 10:58 AM | #42
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 22: In which Quinn struggles to get results

Time period: After Nalenne gets with Andronikos Revel
…and before the crew finds out

“My lord.”

“Captain?”

“It has come to my attention that – “

“Is this work?”

Quinn paused. “…Not necessarily. You could interpret the suggestion I’m about to make as a leisure activity. You see, there is a base on Yavin VI that - ”

“Don’t wanna work.”

“Pierce, tell the Wrath there’s a good fight brewing on Yavin VI.”

“No.”

“That’s an order, Lieutenant.”

“Belay* that order,” yawned Nalenne.

“…how good a scrap?” asked Pierce, looking torn as to whether he wanted to let curiosity overcome the need to frustrate Quinn.

“Excellent. Hundreds of Republic soldiers who are currently sitting around looking smug and enjoying access to a galaxy-class explosives stockpile.”

“He’s lying,” said Nalenne.

“How would you know? I haven’t even finished the briefing.”

“Lying is your favorite pastime, Captain,” said Nalenne.

“It’s not my favorite.”

“Nah, but it’s the one you do the most,” said Pierce. “Since you’re too stupid to do your favorite things all the time.”

“I only wanted to offer an opportunity to wreak large-scale destruction,” said Quinn.

Nalenne and Pierce looked skeptical.

“In a strategically significant way,” he admitted. “That’s not a bad thing!”

“Did the Emperor’s Hand ask for this one?” said Nalenne.

“No.”

“Now he’s lying,” said Pierce.

“Yup,” said Nalenne.

“I can’t win, can I,” said Quinn. He didn’t bother denying the truth of their claim.

The outer door clanked open and Broonmark walked in. “Major mayhem outside the spaceport,” he quorked. “Does Sith clan wish to go win the riot?”

Nalenne leaped to her feet. “Let it never be said that I passed up a chance to play the riot game.”

“My lord!” protested Quinn.

“Convenience factor, darling. It’s right over there. How can I say no? Now come on, I need my medic. You wouldn’t want me to get hurt.”

“I’m not joining your riot, my lord. My battle idea was better.”

“Hey. Quit it with the miserable face.”

“This is my stoic face, my lord.”

“Yeah, but you’re being miserable about it. Don’t be. Tell you what, I go out there, knock some heads. And then if I’m still not satisfied I’ll come with you and burn Yavnik Whatever.”

“Ah, very well. Enjoy yourself.”

“Hey, Andronikos,” Nalenne yelled, “get out here. Bloodshed.” Then at normal volume, to Pierce and Broonmark: “Boys, let’s go.”

“You were pretty quick to relax about that,” said Vette skeptically as the violent contingent headed out.

“Well, yes,” said Quinn. “She’s going to take the mission, guaranteed. You see, she’s never satisfied.”

From outside they heard a muffled “Wheeeeee!”

* "Belay" as "stop, cancel" is usually definition #3 or #4 in the dictionaries, but it's in there, I promise. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/belay
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
08.06.2012 , 11:03 AM | #43
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 23: In which Pierce confers with Andronikos

…and before most of the crew finds out

Andronikos lounged against the low outer wall of the Tatooine cantina, looking out over the rocky descent to the desert below. Pierce, after watching him for a few moments, left the shade of the cantina proper and moved to lean on the wall beside him. “You know, you’re even crazier than I thought,” said Pierce.

Andronikos took the remnants of some green garnish he had been thoughtfully chewing out of his mouth. “How’s that?”

Pierce looked out over the desert. “You. The Wrath.”

“Something you wanna say there?”

“Only that you’re even crazier than I thought.”

Andronikos twirled the garnish stem and grinned. “Don’t tell me you’ve never taken a shot at her.”

“Nah. Survival instinct’s too strong for that. (*) All the time I’ve known her, the Wrath’s had all of two lovers. Quinn an’ Servant Nine. And they both died at her hands. One of ‘em came back, but I wouldn’t stake my life on that happening again.” Pierce rearranged his arms to reveal a half-finished beer, which he promptly took a swig of. “It’s not too late. Some of her one-night stands have been known to survive.”

“If ‘one night’ is the operative thing there, it’s already too late for me.”

“Trying to think of a word stronger than ‘crazy’ here. Failing for the time being.” Pierce shook his head, drank again. “She worth it?”

“Yeah, I guess so. I got no complaints.” Andronikos finally looked at Pierce. “You could just ask her sometime. She’s not stingy, you know. And she likes you enough.”

“You getting some kind of refer-a-friend bonus out of this?”

“Nah. Just saying, you deserve some happiness.”

“Heh, I get plenty of happiness. From sources a lot more stable than the Wrath. Speaking of things more stable than the Wrath, I wanted to mod a few more thermal detonators before we go out tomorrow.” He straightened and started for the door. “‘Night, Andronikos. Be careful.”

“Where has ‘careful’ ever gotten the likes of you and me?”

Pierce chuckled. “Try not to wear her out, then. I’ll be wanting her in the field tomorrow.”

(I can imagine the likes of Andronikos using "Yeah, I guess so. I got no complaints" to describe any sex from mediocre on up the scale. Yeah, whatever. Awesomest sex ever? It was all right. No problems here.)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Magdalane
08.06.2012 , 09:54 PM | #44
Yeah I can see Nikos saying that as well, Bright. Somehow, whenever I read I hear his voice with an Austrailian accent, tho.
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

bright_ephemera
08.13.2012 , 09:11 PM | #45
CHRONICLES PAST, 3: In which Niselle gives the Dark Council compromising information

Cross-posted from the Short Fic Weekly Challenge.

Time period: Shortly after Quinn's death, well before his ghostly reappearance

Nalenne stood before the Dark Council, regal in her full battlegear, and fully stimmed up because these a**es insisted they couldn't fit a hearing into their schedule any time after six AM on weekdays.

Darth Marr spoke. "Darth Nalenne. The Emperor's Wrath. We recognize you and seek a status report on your campaign."

"So," she said, "with the guidance of the Emperor's Hand I have been systematically sweeping the Arthan Corridor. The survivors of the affected system tremble at my name. They are Imperial in all but paperwork now.”

Before anyone could answer, the door to the Council chamber banged open. Another Sith Pureblood woman appeared, bald like Nalenne, yellow-eyed like Nalenne, slightly more Dark Side-corrupted than Nalenne. Their features were nearly identical.

Darth Nox, also known as Niselle, waved a hand languidly as she processed to her seat. "Good morning, gentlemen, sorry I'm late. I clean forgot we scheduled an early hearing. - Oh, hello, Lenny."

There was a moment of silence.

"Lenny?" said Darth Marr.

“Weird vocal tic,” said Nalenne quickly. “What she meant was ‘O great and terrifying Wrath.’”

“I’ve been calling her Lenny since we were three years old,” said Niselle.

“Shut up!”

“That’s adorable,” said Darth Vowrawn.

“It really is rather precious,” said Darth Ravage.

“Nis, I will end you!” Nalenne drew her saber and faced her sister.

Darth Marr raised a hand. “Wrath. I know you’re new to this job. You should know we have a house rule, lay off killing your fellow Dark Council members in any week we've already lost two. It helps keep turnover down, you know?”

“I’m not a fellow Dark Council member. I don’t have to listen.”

“Our house, our rules. Maybe if you and your sister hadn’t blown out the quota earlier in the week, you would be free to exact revenge now.”

“It really is a pain to replace Council members at the current rate,” Vowrawn explained gently. “We would simply run out of Sith if we didn’t all agree to keep the body count down.”

“Spilling dirt like that? Nis needs to die,” said Nalenne.

“You won’t hear me arguing,” grumbled Ravage.

“Hush, you,” said Marr. “Continue with your report...Lenny.”

Nalenne’s eyes bulged. Her fists clenched.

“House rules, rookie,” said Marr, definitely not sounding like he was grinning behind his mask. “Let’s get back to business.”
Bright's Fanfic Threads

bright_ephemera
08.13.2012 , 09:13 PM | #46
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 24: In which Nalenne looks to the Jedi

…and before most of the crew finds out

“Jaesa.”

“Mm.”

“Jaesa.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Jaesa?”

“Almost there.”

“Jaesa, for spite’s sake, put down the comic book.”

Jaesa huffed and set down her datapad. “Look, just because you are incapable of appreciating the artistic nuances of this Mynock Resurgent series…”

“You’re my apprentice, I get to interrupt you.”

“What can possibly be more important than saving Totally Not Kaas City from-”

“Remember Rho?”

“The Hero of Tython? Of course.”

“He’s not going away any time soon.”

Jaesa glowed. “I know. It gives me hope.”

“So I need to train you to kill me.”

“What?”

“He runs with that Sith, right? The old Wrath, Lord Scourge? He’s evil, right? You don’t like him?”

“I…don’t know what Lord Scourge is. I do not trust him.”

“Close enough. He’s nearly as dangerous as Rho is, and since Rho keeps my hands full in a fight I need someone who can handle Scourge. That’s going to be you. He fights much like I do, so it’s easy. We transition your training from ‘train you to kill people who aren’t me’ to ‘train you to kill people a lot like me.’ Then we have the mundanes deal with the astromech, the redhead, the monomaniacal lunatic menace to society, and the blue boy, and we’ll be ready for next time.”

“I’m not sure I’m comfortable with training to kill specific members of the finest Light Side team this galaxy has ever produced.”

“I’m not sure I’m comfortable with letting you live, sweetheart, but we all make sacrifices.”

Jaesa blanched. “Master, you haven’t threatened to kill me in months.”

“You haven’t been chickening out on me. Come on, agree to help kill Lord Sithy Betrayal Scourge, and we can stay in and watch X-Folk Arise tonight.”

“In your room?”

“In my room.”

“Quinn won’t like it.”

“Quinn can’t possibly overcome Lord Scourge. Ergo his opinion matters less right now.”

"You've been really harsh on him lately, you know that?"

Nalenne giggled. "Jaesa, you have no idea."
Bright's Fanfic Threads

irishfino
08.13.2012 , 09:40 PM | #47
You hate Quinn so much...
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

bright_ephemera
08.13.2012 , 09:45 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
You hate Quinn so much...
Hey. Have you ever noticed how incredibly difficult it is to keep Quinn happy? He brings this on himself.
Bright's Fanfic Threads

ragnnerok
08.13.2012 , 10:23 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Hey. Have you ever noticed how incredibly difficult it is to keep Quinn happy? He brings this on himself.
hey I completely I have grown to hate Quinn he has to be one of the easiest characters to hate. Next to Darth Baras.

bright_ephemera
08.13.2012 , 10:43 PM | #50
I am fully justified:

PARTIAL LIST OF THINGS QUINN HATES

• Impersonating a human being (“Is that an order, or are you testing my professionalism?”)
  • Not handing defenseless women over to be…I’m pretty sure I can’t write that word on these forums, but he disapproved of my protecting her from the man who had been relentlessly pursuing her and of whom she was abjectly terrified (Alderaan)
  • Vette
  • Lieutenant Pierce (This alone means Quinn is defective)
  • Sparing useful Force users (everywhere, ever…he’s nearly as reliable as Khem Val on this)
  • Killing useful Force-blinds (Nar Shaddaa)
  • Helping civilians (Nar Shaddaa)
  • Slaughtering civilians
  • Being flirted with
  • Not being flirted with (one variant of the profession-of-love conversation, iirc)
  • Sex (Everything up to Act 3)
  • Being rejected for sex, and I’ll point out that he chooses to proposition you in the same breath as expressing his satisfaction with ending a psychotic decade-old grudge through kidnapping and murder, then gets snippy when you’re not in the mood (Act 3)
  • Continuing to get sex (turning down a marriage proposal with “We already have a good thing going” is massively not okay with Captain Wildly My Social Inferior, Also Your Career Choices Were Your Own Prerogative Up Until Ten Seconds Ago, My Lord)
  • Being accused of having a conscience
  • Being accused of being unprincipled (being accused of not having sufficient conscience? He also gets annoyed on Balmorra when you doubt him)
  • Being encouraged to admit that he’s a raging fountain of hate and bitterness when it comes to, oh, everybody he’s ever met
  • Being denied the chance to take out his raging fountain of hate and bitterness against, oh, everybody he's ever met
  • Missing an opportunity to talk about how much attention he’s not asking for
  • Not getting attention
  • Anybody backstabbing anybody before he gets the chance to do so
  • Criticizing the boss, unless he’s the one doing it
  • Failing to murder the boss at the first opportunity (see endgame, also Moff Broysc)
  • The Light Side (Jaesa’s recruitment)
  • Senseless murder, selfishness, and other hallmarks of Dark Side dedication

It’s practically impossible not to make him miserable. Also he’s a secret agent who takes absolutely every possible opportunity to make himself useful – no, indispensable – and to get to know you, intimately, then attempts to shoot you and mucks it up. He attacks you with the only class of opponent you can CC. He’s a buggering idiot and a treacherous one at that. Also his voice, while impressively expressive, annoys me. Yes, yes I hate him.

On a meta level I love the character, a ton. I find him fascinating. But any rational evaluation of the man must necessarily end with "He's a hateful monster and undeserving of love."
Bright's Fanfic Threads