Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

Choffware
01.28.2013 , 10:20 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
I used to think it was a must. The thing is, when a melee is all over you...Stabilizers is going to get you killed. You can't trade Power Shots with any melee class out there.

And against any other ranged class, you are going to lose the fight anyways if all you have available is Power Shots. Even an uninterruptable Power Shot vs a Sniper or PT will get you killed if you swap blows. The only way to beat enemies is if you have your main rotation available. (and thus, no need for power shot)

My only use for Power Shot is when no one is attacking me. I'm very happy to free cast. But I don't trade blows unless my main rotation is ready. Or in the rare case I need to finish someone off and everything else is on cooldown.
I think this is a straw man argument. NO one who knows what they are doing is spamming power shot or trying to go toe to toe with melee or snipers. But once you start casting it you want it to finish especially because of the rail shot potential proc. ...everything else is on cool down so you start a power shot.. you are being attacked in the middle of the cast, it fires cleanly, you get the heck out and hope rail shot has popped and fire that on the move. If your pw shot is stopped no pw shot damage no rail shot damage....
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

DarthBloodloss
01.29.2013 , 04:08 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Choffware View Post
I think this is a straw man argument. NO one who knows what they are doing is spamming power shot or trying to go toe to toe with melee or snipers. But once you start casting it you want it to finish especially because of the rail shot potential proc. ...everything else is on cool down so you start a power shot.. you are being attacked in the middle of the cast, it fires cleanly, you get the heck out and hope rail shot has popped and fire that on the move. If your pw shot is stopped no pw shot damage no rail shot damage....
What good is a railshot when you just took a full Ravage while standing there?

And in your first sentence, you said that no one who knows what they are doing is trying to go toe to toe with melee. And then a few sentences later you describe how you stand toe to toe with melee so you can proc a rail shot.

If I'm fighting a melee, I need a gap. I don't need moar rail shotz, or more damage. I almost never stop moving, and when my rotation is down, I spam Rapid Shots and hope to proc a snare (as opposed to standing still, trading blows, and taking damage).
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

DarthBloodloss
01.29.2013 , 04:17 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by BlyWoods View Post
I have a quick question for healers in terms of crystals in our pistols do we go with 2 power or 2 expertise? I tried both an havent noticed much of a difference in output from either one.
2 Expertise. They have the same offensive output as Power, so you wont notice much of a difference. But they help you on the defensive end, which power does not do.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Choffware
01.30.2013 , 08:22 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
What good is a railshot when you just took a full Ravage while standing there?

And in your first sentence, you said that no one who knows what they are doing is trying to go toe to toe with melee. And then a few sentences later you describe how you stand toe to toe with melee so you can proc a rail shot.

If I'm fighting a melee, I need a gap. I don't need moar rail shotz, or more damage. I almost never stop moving, and when my rotation is down, I spam Rapid Shots and hope to proc a snare (as opposed to standing still, trading blows, and taking damage).
I never mentioned toe to toe with anyone. All I was trying to say is that once you start what you think is a "free cast" can get pushed back by almost any negative effect like someone starting to attack you. Once you make the commitment to channel a spell it's almost always (almost) better to finish it before you react and get the hell out of there. Power shot might be not such a great example. Stabilizers effect power shot, concussion missile, and unload all situational and all high risk reward. I don't want them pushed back. All the other talents you can pick that increase dps at that low level, can be replaced by min maxing gear. You can't gear for less push back.
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc