Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

JimmyTheCannon
07.29.2012 , 12:32 AM | #31
Is there something wrong with the links to the talent builds for PvE Arsenal? When I click on them I'm seeing some weird 32-point builds that are mostly Bodyguard.

ChikenSammichPie
07.29.2012 , 07:30 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
Not taking alacrity risks your targets dying if they are taking consistent damage because you are not able to pump out enough heals in time. With critical alacrity rolling, i have 1.7 second healing scan, 1.2 second rapid scan. Your rotation does not change with or without alacrity, you do 2x casts that cost 16 heat each, then you use 1-2 rapid shots.
http://www.torparse.com/a/7045/10
You do not need to rapid shots. Rapid shots is a loss of healing time. It's been shown by the math that alacrity reduces your HPH, which is the main limiting factor. In *some* situations you'll be time constrained, but most of the time you can cast, and you should be casting. I'm sure that you're good at dps, and your dps specs are valid, but merc heals has been my main spec since launch day.

EDIT: I'll admit that alacrity is probably useful in PvP. I'm not a pvper, but it does seem very hectic. But in PvE, I feel that sustained healing is much more important than rapid response.

DkSharktooth
07.30.2012 , 08:17 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Is there something wrong with the links to the talent builds for PvE Arsenal? When I click on them I'm seeing some weird 32-point builds that are mostly Bodyguard.
The links seem to have been broken, I will work on fixing this ASAP starting now.

Update: Links have ALL been fixed.

JimmyTheCannon
07.30.2012 , 12:54 PM | #34
Okay, now that that's fixed... why MedTech in the Bodyguard tree, for the PVE Arsenal build? Unless things get desperate you should never have to cast your heals when you're on DPS.

DkSharktooth
07.31.2012 , 12:43 AM | #35
Okay, now that that's fixed... why MedTech in the Bodyguard tree, for the PVE Arsenal build? Unless things get desperate you should never have to cast your heals when you're on DPS.
It helps either heal yourself or someone else much quicker. The other talent points are less useful.

JimmyTheCannon
07.31.2012 , 10:15 PM | #36
Less useful than faster cast times? I don't see it. If the healer's doing their job properly a DPS should never be spending time healing themselves or someone else anyway - and if it's an emergency, it's not going to make *that* huge of a difference.

Putting skill points in heals when you've still got talents available that will increase your DPS will just make you less effective in your chosen role than you could be. That's like putting points in a skill that will only increase a damaging ability when you're specced heals - if there's points available that can still increase the effectiveness of your heals, why wouldn't you put them there?

DkSharktooth
08.01.2012 , 09:36 AM | #37
Less useful than faster cast times? I don't see it. If the healer's doing their job properly a DPS should never be spending time healing themselves or someone else anyway - and if it's an emergency, it's not going to make *that* huge of a difference.

Putting skill points in heals when you've still got talents available that will increase your DPS will just make you less effective in your chosen role than you could be. That's like putting points in a skill that will only increase a damaging ability when you're specced heals - if there's points available that can still increase the effectiveness of your heals, why wouldn't you put them there?
The skill level of the playerbase says otherwise. You need to be able to heal yourself quickly when healers can't. There are no talents that will increase your dps further. If you don't want the faster heals, take double dipping alacrity spec for more dps.

JimmyTheCannon
08.01.2012 , 06:05 PM | #38
Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. The alacrity talents will increase your DPS. The healing talent won't.

Yes, if you're having issues with healers - and can't get better ones - you might need to heal yourself. But if you're having that issue so often that you need to adjust your spec to do it, then you need to start running with better healers.

DkSharktooth
08.01.2012 , 07:29 PM | #39
Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. The alacrity talents will increase your DPS. The healing talent won't.

Yes, if you're having issues with healers - and can't get better ones - you might need to heal yourself. But if you're having that issue so often that you need to adjust your spec to do it, then you need to start running with better healers.
Taking medtech over 2 alacrity talent points for pve arsenal dps won't make or break your dps. It's a very minor increase. Also, from current testing, riddle seems to proc more than once every 6 seconds, not sure if bugged.

DkSharktooth
08.08.2012 , 08:43 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by ChikenSammichPie View Post
http://www.torparse.com/a/7045/10
You do not need to rapid shots. Rapid shots is a loss of healing time. It's been shown by the math that alacrity reduces your HPH, which is the main limiting factor. In *some* situations you'll be time constrained, but most of the time you can cast, and you should be casting. I'm sure that you're good at dps, and your dps specs are valid, but merc heals has been my main spec since launch day.

EDIT: I'll admit that alacrity is probably useful in PvP. I'm not a pvper, but it does seem very hectic. But in PvE, I feel that sustained healing is much more important than rapid response.
While it's easier on heat and possibly higher on HPH, casting heals faster with alacrity will get that heal to your target faster and can save the need for use of battleres. Alacrity is still better for players who can manage to play at the peek of the skill level needed for bodygaurd mercs. If you can manage the heat restraints into your rotation, you should have no trouble keeping up with any other healer minus AE padding sorc.