Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Biochem] Profitability?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Biochem] Profitability?

Shellmagnett
07.02.2012 , 08:35 AM | #1
I've leveled Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy up to around 110 and I'm wondering if Biochem is a crafting skill that will ever make things worth selling. Now I know at lvl 19 I don't have a lot of experience yet, but still...

Here's an example. Mats for low level adrenals can cost a few thousand on the GTN, but the final product is a 15 second buff. Why should I craft an item when I could sell the mats for more (not assuming anyone would spend thousands, but I could make more than the mission cost me.) Shouldn't Adrenals cost like a few hundred credits?

I could farm the mats, but multiple crew missions to craft one item that I can't sell means I'm spending money to level a skill... for what? To spend more money to craft higher level items that are also drastically overpriced?

Does Biochem become better at higher levels? The way it is now, spending the 300 credits for a crew mission to yield a couple mats would make me more money by just selling the mats.

Micadog
07.02.2012 , 08:48 AM | #2
For me at any rate, Bio is a money saver rather than an earner.

Apart from mats, Implants can sell fairly well. Maybe you are not high enough skill level to start making them yet, first craftable ones are lvl 21 I recall ( schematics are drops or GTN ).

What will save you credits though is the re-useable stims and medpaks.

If this is your first and only character, I'd suggest you try and gather as many mats as you can rather than running Crew missions for them. Only buy recipes from craft trainer for items that you will actually use or plan on selling, don't buy every schematic for every skill level. You can always fill the list out later or as needed.

Thundergulch
07.02.2012 , 02:18 PM | #3
Since they made the Exotech recipes purchasable, I haven't made a dime on Biochem, and it's now just a convenience rather than a money maker.

Alienwarz
07.02.2012 , 02:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shellmagnett View Post
I've leveled Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy up to around 110 and I'm wondering if Biochem is a crafting skill that will ever make things worth selling. Now I know at lvl 19 I don't have a lot of experience yet, but still...

Here's an example. Mats for low level adrenals can cost a few thousand on the GTN, but the final product is a 15 second buff. Why should I craft an item when I could sell the mats for more (not assuming anyone would spend thousands, but I could make more than the mission cost me.) Shouldn't Adrenals cost like a few hundred credits?

I could farm the mats, but multiple crew missions to craft one item that I can't sell means I'm spending money to level a skill... for what? To spend more money to craft higher level items that are also drastically overpriced?

Does Biochem become better at higher levels? The way it is now, spending the 300 credits for a crew mission to yield a couple mats would make me more money by just selling the mats.
You won't make any money with it. Well, I haven't anyway. It does help with my alts though! That's really the only reason I keep on one of my toons is to make implants, stims, and med packs. Otherwise it is about as useless as Armstech, imo.

criminalheretic
07.02.2012 , 03:32 PM | #5
Yeah Biochem is almost useless as a money maker, but strangely and annoyingly addictive as a money saver. Once you get used to having reusable stims and medpacs, they idea of paying for those that get consumed, will drive you insane.

PVE is one thing, unless you suck you should be able to do all your dailies etc without ever having to pop a medpac, or maybe a couple here and there during boss fights at lower levels. But PVP? If I didn't have my reusable Rakata medpac, I would literally have to roll WZs without medpacs, cause when you are grinding WH gear, you cant waste comms on WZ medpacs.

Then again maybe I wouldnt mind burning medpacs if I just made 5 million creds in one day selling Aug kits like some of my guildies did.
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger

VigDiath
07.02.2012 , 04:12 PM | #6
It is a good money saver but I have been able to make money off of it. Not as much as say my Artifice skill on my
main or my Synthweaving on an alt, but I can make money selling the adrenals. Main reason is cause I go for
blue quality items that people can use. Sell em in bulk if you will, about 10 at a time and you can make decent
money off of it. Also the medpacs that gives health over a certain time sell well too. Again, not much but still an ok amount. So if you get get it, try to craft blue items and they are pretty good to sell.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

abercromb
07.02.2012 , 11:00 PM | #7
I can only echo what others have said. You won't make much money out of Biochem. It will save you a ton on your main and alts though. So its kind of worth it. The only crew skill that instantly gives you more than you put in is slicing. Most others require buying a lot of recipes and reverse enginering or gathering over many hours before you get any large return.