Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High end PvE; Crit vs Power?

thrakkemarn
07.13.2012 , 04:12 PM | #11
I mean, it's sounds to me like you may have overall gear issues that need to be resolved, but I have no idea what gear level you are at. In general Aim >>>>>>>>>>> Surge/Accuracy. But it's different for Tionese vs Campaign etc.

Suryi
07.13.2012 , 04:40 PM | #12
I posted an askmrrobot link earlier; I'm on fully 61 mods, just missing 1 reflex armoring and I'm done.

With that in mind, by swapping stuff around I can drop surge from 77.35 to 75.8 and gain about 15 bonus damage (by replacing 3 acc augments with aim). I'm really unsure if it's worth it or not. 1.5% surge vs 0.2% increase in ranged damage and even less in tech, it kinda seems to favor surge but this is just me eyeballing. Also I'm keeping in mind the high crit chances on rail shots -46%- and high crit chance on elemental attacks -40%-. Bah. Anyway, mission accomplished, thread sucessfully derailed, lol.

bbare
07.13.2012 , 04:48 PM | #13
The goal of itemization for dps, because Bioware neglected to put in a crit/power mod would be to maximize power as a secondary stat. Power lacks any diminishing returns so it will always be better than crit when crit hits the soft cap. I define this "soft cap" as the point where the marginal dps of crit equals the marginal dps of power. Because of the way the mods work, power is only attached to surge, alacrity, or accuracy. This means you will have to give up some power for some crit. Because the marginal dps of power is higher than the marginal dps of crit once crit hits the soft cap, it is never wise to give up power for crit after you hit the crit soft cap. This is assuming you have maxed your surge to the soft cap, as well.

So, a good strat for itemization would be to get crit and surge to the soft caps with mods and enhancements. Because the soft cap of crit is higher than surge and they relatively are the same amount on each mod, you will have to get your crit to the soft cap by getting additional crit with crit/accuracy or crit/alacrity mods. Next, fill in everything with power/accuracy (if you need accuracy), or power/alacrity (if you need alacrity). Power/surge would not be very effective on an item because you used your crit to get surge already. I'm aware that there are some classes that do not really need accuracy or alacrity, but since your crit is soft capped, power cannot be attached to crit, and power will always be better than crit at the soft cap, you will have to itemize some accuracy or alacrity because it is better than nothing.

It is pretty much a game of opportunity cost. The two best secondary stats, power and crit cannot be equipped on the same item so you have to give up one to get the other. So a good strat would be to get the one that has a soft cap to its soft cap and then stack the other one on everything else. Keep in mind that power will always be better than crit after the crit soft cap so it is unwise to sacrifice power for crit at that point. Keep in mind that this may not apply to every class due to different specs/talents/etc... It is meant to be a generalization for itemization. Also, since it is very difficult to know exactly when power becomes better than crit, it is more of an eyeball test. My guess would be somewhere near 300 crit.

Last notes: 1. Because of the nature of the main stat, your augment slots should ALWAYS be filled with main stat augments. Your main stat will always be better than any secondary stat 1 for 1.
2. You should always use the attack adrenal.
3. You should always use your main stat stim over the endurance stim.

Suryi
07.13.2012 , 04:56 PM | #14
What is the crit soft cap then? In general I mean, for every class, ignoring benefits that crits may bring to various specs/advanced classes.

bbare
07.13.2012 , 05:16 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Suryi View Post
What is the crit soft cap then? In general I mean, for every class, ignoring benefits that crits may bring to various specs/advanced classes.
It really is a moot point where the so called "soft cap" is. Crit starts diminishing at 1 crit. What we need to know is the point where an additional point of crit gives the same amount of dps output as a 1 point increase in power.

thrakkemarn
07.14.2012 , 02:02 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
It really is a moot point where the so called "soft cap" is. Crit starts diminishing at 1 crit. What we need to know is the point where an additional point of crit gives the same amount of dps output as a 1 point increase in power.
Uh ... no, it's not moot. Also you can't use the term then dismiss it lol. In fact, you DEFINED the term as the same thing you just said.

In my opinion, the "soft cap" for crit in FULL black hole 61 mod gear is 235 crit rating (71 crit from ear and 4 x 41 crit mods). This is what I have decided to gear towards. Simulations indicate that any less or any more is a DPS loss compared to Power, and it is a nice round number to use.

Suryi
07.14.2012 , 02:58 AM | #17
Cheers. I saw your post on mmo-mechanics as well about 235 crit - 285 acc - 285 surge and while I'm not convinced at all, it's the closest thing I've found to solid data so thank you