Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High end PvE; Crit vs Power?

Suryi
07.02.2012 , 08:19 AM | #1
Thoughts? Opinions? Any hard data out there that says "yes get crit this high up then stack power"?

Been looking at the DR curve of Crit and it's not bad at all unless you hit fairly high values like 500+ so I can't exactly eyeball a point at which I can say "ok, enough crit is enough".

iPodwithnomusic
07.02.2012 , 08:33 AM | #2
Could you please tell me where you saw that DM curve?

Suryi
07.02.2012 , 08:42 AM | #3
http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/03/c...al-hit-chance/

Not sure if anything has changed in the meantime but as far as I know, crit DR has been the same since launch till now.

Suryi
07.06.2012 , 03:40 AM | #4
Shameless bump

Bryntone
07.06.2012 , 10:53 AM | #5
I'm a Pyro DPS PvE, stacking mostly power, I'm up to just under 100% accuracy (tired of missing railshots), about 900 bonus damage, and buff/stimmed 36% crit. I've gotten depending on the fight up to around 1500+ dps..
Mandalore the Indomitable -> The Bastion
Suckafish
Xtort Bryntone Xtraction CrazyPawz

Fauxknight
07.08.2012 , 03:31 PM | #6
I find that you get slightly better damage returns from power. Still crit isn't far behind power so I still gear for it, I run about 2:1 power:crit, so like 600 power and 300 crit.

Of course I was barely 50 the first time I did the math, I really need to sit down and double check that it still holds true now that I have full campaign gear.

thrakkemarn
07.12.2012 , 04:18 PM | #7
So here's an interesting conundrum - the way black hole/campaign gear is itemized, I seem to have run into a weird choice: Surge vs Accuracy and Power vs Crit. This is as concerns BiS with Black Hole gear (I don't have access to Campaign for my DPS set as that is going to tanking or other guildies).

This is mainly due to the fact that the mods on gear are either 57 Accuracy or 57 Surge, and either 41 Power or 41 Crit.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Is it worth lowering Accuracy below 110% tech if it means stacking surge into the 300s-400s?

Otherwise, assuming a 5/5 split of 57 Surge/Accuracy (2x implants, earpiece, main hand, off-hand, 5 main armor pieces) - that would be 285 Surge and 285 Accuracy, putting me right below the 110% special Acc cap (with the companion 1%) and stopping before Surge gets too deep into DR. It seems to me this might be better than stacking Surge beyond 300.

2) Is it EVER worth taking Crit rating over Power? If so, how much Crit rating is worth it? Aside from my BH earpiece with 71 crit rating I could replace ALL the rest of my crit with power at a 1:1 ratio.

(Bear in mind I'm asking JUST about crit RATING. I am really sick of people saying stack to "35% crit buffed". What does that even mean? Ranged crit? tech crit? does it take into account extra tech crit abilities? crit from Aim? sorry rant over)

(p.s. Yes, I know the Simulator is up there but it's not been updated since 1.2 AND it gives very inconsistent results with my current stats.)

Suryi
07.13.2012 , 08:57 AM | #8
You can end up with 100% ranged accuracy and stay at about 340 surge by having a small amount of acc augments (I have 3 and I'm at 99.8% ranged acc). Alternatively, you can swap out 1 Power/Surge enhancement for a power/accuracy and so you'll drop surge but you'll be able to replace the augments with aim. To me, dropping 2% surge for a marginal increase in bonus damage (about 10) doesn't seem to be worth it but that is just opinion, not fact.

Here's my setup, hope it helps http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...c-d4be43d2bf23. Most of it was done through BH gear and the occasional campaign gear that I got and ripped the mods out of

As for 2), that's why I created the thread in the first place

thrakkemarn
07.13.2012 , 02:09 PM | #9
It is NEVER worth taking Accuracy or Surge over Power or Aim. The only viable BiS end-game augments are Aim or Power (which is a separate debate not relevant to this thread). While temporarily slotting an Accuracy augment MIGHT be worthwhile, you should always eventually replace it. That's not opinion, it's a fact (or at least, as close to a "fact" as you can get) based on end-game gearing options, parses and simulations ... but not super relevant to this topic either.

I mostly posted that whole thing in here cause it's relevant to the Crit vs Power question which I really would like to find out.

Suryi
07.13.2012 , 03:57 PM | #10
Well, yeah I keep hearing that acc augments are a waste of space but I'd have to sacrifice Surge before I could drop my acc augments for Aim so I'd drop 2% surge for 46 aim, not sure if worth it (probably is).