Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Armortech] Slicing or UWT?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Armortech] Slicing or UWT?

chimunga
07.02.2012 , 06:35 AM | #1
I know that Underworld Trading is the the mission skill that "goes with" Armortech, but I'm wondering, with the implementation of 1.3, would slicing be better for it, because it can get you augment mats? I know there's no real right answer, I'm just looking for opinions.

Edit: I also want to add that I'm thinking about this in reference to a Bounty Hunter, and the first companion that you get as a BH has a big Slicing bonus.

Micadog
07.02.2012 , 07:16 AM | #2
Well if your companion has a crit bonus to Slicing, I'd say go with that and acquire your UWT materials another way, either from GTN or an alt that has the skill.

Whichever you decide, if you want to collect your own mats to do Armor and Augments, then you will have to end up getting some mats from another source.

chimunga
07.02.2012 , 07:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Micadog View Post
Well if your companion has a crit bonus to Slicing, I'd say go with that and acquire your UWT materials another way, either from GTN or an alt that has the skill.

Whichever you decide, if you want to collect your own mats to do Armor and Augments, then you will have to end up getting some mats from another source.
Valid point. I'm going to have to be paying for stuff either way. And Mako's bonus is in efficiency, not crit, which, now that I think of it, is kinda useless, because she's the companion I level with, so I can't really be sending her out on missions.

1.) Slicing:
-Be able to gather my own mats for augments, therefore making it easier (and cheaper) to make them and sell them on the GT
-Make money from slicing itself (woot)
-Missions to sell

2.) UWT:
-Chance to get schematics so I don't have to but them on the GTN (but they're usually pretty cheap anyways)
-Be able to make more armor that requires Underworld Metals (and therefore RE for Augment kit parts)

Hrrmmm. Perchance I'm just over thinking this.

Micadog
07.02.2012 , 07:42 AM | #4
I'd suggest you level up with the recommended gathering profs for Armormech. Do a check for alt companions on other classes that have a +slicing crit bonus and start one of them. Provided you can fund the alt to run missions, you won't have to level it very high.

wainot-keel
07.02.2012 , 01:33 PM | #5
I started a trooper with armomech. Level 21 at this point. But for now, I'll stick with UT. I already have it at 400 with my synthweaver, but it's a pain relogging everytime to get a few mats with those low level missions.
Once my trroper gets a couple of more companions and the mat grade required is 3, maybe 4 ( so it's "worth" relogging) I'll drop it for Slicing.

Grayseven
07.02.2012 , 08:08 PM | #6
Use an alt for Slicing. If you get the three gathering skills on a character you'll have plenty of resources available for other toons. The option I use, however, is to have an alt with Slicing, Scavenging and UT. UT gives me missions to send my companion on and helps me gather those hard to get materials. Leveling a crafting skill is a lot easier if you are getting resources from more than one source.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

abercromb
07.02.2012 , 10:46 PM | #7
The crit rate in slicing is very low. You will run low on money if your trying to get augment purples that way. The perfect partners are Synth or Armourtech, with underworld trading and Archeology. That gives you easy options for most of the materials as you level your character.
Then I would spend about 4 hours each on two new characters getting them to 16 and on the space station. Each of those will have 2 companions and a ship for storage. Those I would have pure gathering skills, like slicing, biochem, scavaging etc. Those I would use to get your augment parts. You can always boost the chance off critting by making them extra crit rated armour. It does not matter what type as once they are parked you leave them there.