Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best companion for a dps shadow

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Best companion for a dps shadow

wrathofkhan
07.01.2012 , 08:21 PM | #1
Out of Qyzen Fess {damage} & tharan Cedrax {healer} which would be better to run with as a DPS Shadow.

Thanks for help

arunav
07.02.2012 , 01:09 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by wrathofkhan View Post
Out of Qyzen Fess {damage} & tharan Cedrax {healer} which would be better to run with as a DPS Shadow.

Thanks for help
I leveled as a dps shadow, and found Tharan to be the best to use. At endgame, doing daily missions, it doesn't really matter, though you'll get through them quicker with a dps companion.

AelixVII
07.02.2012 , 04:18 PM | #3
Never had much downtime with Tharan, always used him personally.

punktual
07.02.2012 , 06:00 PM | #4
Tharan hands down for levelling.
Not only does he heal like a boss but his holiday interupt/stun compliments your own arsenal of stuns/interupts perfectly.

Though at endgame once you are geared well I would recomend Nadia for doing dailys etc.
She will kill stuff twice as fast as you and Tharan with only minimal downtime for healing.

Boarg
07.03.2012 , 08:36 AM | #5
Tharan is by far the best. Actually, he's probably the only viable companion for a lot of the content.

The only time you really have a choice is when you're over-leveled against whatever you're killing, and then the other companions can burn through easy content even faster.

JamieKirby
10.17.2012 , 09:13 AM | #6
Sadly, the only viable choice is the healer, unless you spec as a healer yourself in general, its the healer........which can be fine if the healer isn't an arrogant, annoying ***hole, which most of them are, i have seen majority of the companions in this game and most of the fun ones are dps companions, which means, to travel with them and quest, you got to penalize yourself or just use an annoying companion, that you would gladly kill off, if given the chance.

Icebergy
10.17.2012 , 09:18 AM | #7
For maximum results, tanks and healers should use a DPS companion, and DPS should use a healer companion. Thats not to say other combos aren't viable, I've often leveled DPS characters with DPS companions because I liked that companion better. But for max efficiency I would say DPS use healers and everyone else use DPS.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

anstalt
10.17.2012 , 11:23 AM | #8
Tank companions only become viable is they are uber-geared. Otherwise they just die too quickly.

I would say use the following companions in the following situations:

Balance Shadow vs multiple trash mobs = Zenith (combined AoE = very quick killing)
Balance Shadow vs anything else = Tharen (minimum downtime = quicker leveling)
Infiltration Shadow vs multiple trash mobs = Zenith or Qyzen (zenith for quicker killing, qyzen to allow backstabs)
Infiltration Shadow vs anything else = Tharen (minimum downtime) or Qyzen if uber-geared (if he can hold aggro, u can backstab = higher DPS).
Kinetic Shadow vs all types of trash = Zenith (combined AoE + tank self healing and mitigation = super quick leveling and killing)
Kinetic Shadow vs bosses = Tharen

Whilst leveling, chances are you wont have qyzen or lt better geared than urself, so just go with Tharen.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

Nilmot
10.17.2012 , 11:30 AM | #9
I just got Theran a few levels back and tried swapping him in for my well geared Q...and I kill move much slower. I'm inf specced, so backstabs are only really an option with Q. I'm sticking with him until we stop being able to take out champion mobs or we have to start resting between fights. As it is now, we stop every half dozen for a few seconds rest.

Basically, I didn't enjoy having to manage Theran's agro and the mutual loss of DPS was frustrating.

Gavin_Kelvar
10.20.2012 , 02:04 PM | #10
As a high level infiltration speced shadow I've found Tharan is not bad since I have the full arsenal of stuns available. However, I think at lower levels when all the stuns are not yet available a tank companion is better as you need them to pull aggro so you can backstab or else take a hit on DPS output. I have yet to try having a DPS companion accompany me.

EDIT: I tried having a DPS companion to compliment my DPS Shadow (Infil). I found that I was pulling aggro far faster than my companion (Nadia) so she lost almost no health whereas I was loosing it fast. Overall I would say it doesn't work too well because of this. It may be good for a small trash group but once tougher guys (silver star or higher) get thrown into the mix you need a healer to give you the endurance or a tank to be your meat shield.