Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rapter's Guide to Fighting Dirty Like a Boss

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Rapter's Guide to Fighting Dirty Like a Boss
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lightning_
07.12.2012 , 05:56 AM | #51
Well, usually the full rotation with two series of WS is needed to kill a geared target:
Vital -> Hemo Blast -> Shrap bomb -> WS -> Sab Charge -> Speed Shot -> WS
(I use Flourish only when the target is likely to be healed)

After that, if the target's not dead, you need to reapply the DOTs, so it's a good time to switch targets - for example, find a healer who's keeping your target alive.

In most circumstances this rotation, followed by Quickdraw, should kill any standalone target. Sometimes when fighting high-HP tanks a third round of WS can be used, while weak DOTs are still there. If it does not work, your target probably:
  • Is being healed
  • Had Force Armor on
  • Used defensive CDs like Undying Rage
  • Interrupted or LOS'd you

Dracokyaku
07.12.2012 , 06:58 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post

The thing is, I see folks in videos - and more importantly, against me - using lethality or DF dropping some very effective single target burst. I recall a level 45 lethality sniper - someone who has just about the same skill points he was able to spend as I - drop me from full health to almost zero with a single cull. I'm sure there was a sab charge on me, a weakening blast , and so forth, but still - even using all of these I've never been able to get more than 1/4 - 1/3 out of a person's health in a single wounding shots.
While you should definitely be seeing drops higher than 1/4 of an opponents health (various defensive cooldowns not withstanding, of course) a lot of Dirty fighting does really start to come into play once you get a little closer to 50.

It would be interesting to see where you have skill points spent at the moment and exactly what mods you have set-up for the time being.

Ideally, once you reach 50 and finetune some of your Character stats somewhat, you should see the internal damage from Woundingshots ticking for up to 2k+ per wave, in addition to the damage being done over time with standard Bleeds.
Winter Silverwing | Red Eclipse
Smugglers Alliance:The home of Beer, Pie and Scoundrel minded folk.

Talyndor
07.12.2012 , 08:09 AM | #53
I'm wondering where people are getting their burst from myself in DF. I've been using it on my new gunslinger and putting up gigantic numbers ins warzones - almost always top DPS or at least very near to it. That said, I feel like its DPS which is really spread out and not nearly as strong against single targets as SS.
Interestingly, i seem to have the same problem.
This is in P.vE.
I am specifically thinking of when i am asked to take down the assassin droids on third boss in EC hard mode. It seems like it takes a lot longer to burn them down than it did when I ran SS. Which can be a real problem.

50 Gunslinger-50 Sage-50 Sentinel-50 Operative

Skolops
07.12.2012 , 10:46 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Dracokyaku View Post
While you should definitely be seeing drops higher than 1/4 of an opponents health (various defensive cooldowns not withstanding, of course) a lot of Dirty fighting does really start to come into play once you get a little closer to 50.

It would be interesting to see where you have skill points spent at the moment and exactly what mods you have set-up for the time being.

Ideally, once you reach 50 and finetune some of your Character stats somewhat, you should see the internal damage from Woundingshots ticking for up to 2k+ per wave, in addition to the damage being done over time with standard Bleeds.
Not interested in listing all of my mods individually, but I can give you my stats. Right now, I'm at about 33% crit and 68% surge. I don't remember my "real" cunning rating, but bolstered its about 1085, which is about as high as I can recall the primary stat being for a toon in a lowbie warzone. The biggest note about the stats is that my surge was only about 57% until recently and I have remodded to improve that in order to see what a difference it makes.

My points currently look like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700GbbkrrGkbRZZb.2

However, the 2 points in feeling woozy is only as of last night and are there to see what I think of it. Until then, I had the same build with full points in Cold Blooded (which isn't related to my problem anyways as targets aren't hitting 30%) and open wounds.

As an aside, I have also briefly experimented with this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700GbbkZZrkrdbMso.2

With the goal of playing primarily sharpshooter approach for its burst and single target damage with the ability to put out heavy DOT pressure as well. I will try again once I get her closer to 50 so I can maximize the potential of it and see how it works, as a hybrid is a bit harder to make come together with fewer skill points.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

Riiquiem
07.12.2012 , 11:06 AM | #55
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

Dracokyaku
07.12.2012 , 11:50 AM | #56
Not interested in listing all of my mods individually, but I can give you my stats. Right now, I'm at about 33% crit and 68% surge. I don't remember my "real" cunning rating, but bolstered its about 1085, which is about as high as I can recall the primary stat being for a toon in a lowbie warzone. The biggest note about the stats is that my surge was only about 57% until recently and I have remodded to improve that in order to see what a difference it makes.

My points currently look like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700GbbkrrGkbRZZb.2
You're on the right track so far, the Template Riiquiem lists is one of the more common (and successful!) builds for Dirty fighting, those three points in Independent Anarchy will give you a nice 15% bonus to not only Sabotage Charge and AOE attacks, but also to Shrap Bomb DOT Ticks.

Once you do make it to 50 and Gear up somewhat, your Cunning will be around 1800 - 2000 (Don't forget to put some points into Streetwise) which will help out with Crit and damage quite a bit, at 43 you're probably just on the cusp of where things start to fall into place with Dirty Fighting.

Once your surge and Crit get a little higher you should also feel more effective.
Winter Silverwing | Red Eclipse
Smugglers Alliance:The home of Beer, Pie and Scoundrel minded folk.