Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lost Island observation

AhsokaTanorules
06.30.2012 , 04:11 PM | #1
Ok until 1.3 I pretty much avoided flash points so I only recently got started. My 2 50's are tanks. I don't claim to be the best player ever but I was able to successfully tank and run False Emperor and Directive 7 well enough.

Then there was Lost Island.

I noticed the challenge level on this seems a lot higher then the other level 50 flash points. Some of the boss strategies can be very unforgiving. D7 and FE were definitely more casual.

Now I have noticed some people earlier on this board going on about how SWtor should try less and less to follow in the footsteps of WoW for example. While some of WoW's features, like leg queue finder is useful, Lost Island started to remind me more of the level of frustrating play one usually finds in WoW's heroics or raids. Basically my concern and observation is if SWtor continues to try and emulate WoW in this regards it might lead to too many frustrated players starting to hate on this game, those who feel victimized by kick voting cyber bully elitists or even guild drama.

Aetou
06.30.2012 , 04:17 PM | #2
It's a Tier 2 flashpoint. It requires better gear and you to have learned skills when doing the Tier 1s that will let you then be ready for it.

Different levels of difficulty content in a game are a good thing, especially as now you can completely avoid doing LI and still get the best gear (well, excluding Campaign.) Once you have decent gear and a solid group clearing LI HM won't be so difficult although the thought of doing it without verbal communication fills me with a little dread. We foolishly tried to pug it this afternoon (3 of us, plus a random tank) and it went badly - the tank had never done it before, had poor gear and... yeah, it just was not so good. The fights take some time to learn but once you have...well... we cleared it in 45 minutes even though our tank for the run was an alt in mediocre gear.

Aurojiin
06.30.2012 , 04:22 PM | #3
When more than half of the available HM flashpoints are at the difficulty level of Lost Island, then we'll talk.

As it stands, only one flashpoint in this game is remotely challenging (and if you have a group of players with brains and a care factor at least above zero, it's still not really hard). One lone, single flashpoint. The only people getting frustrated by this are players who believe that every single piece of content should be handed to them on a plate with zero effort on their part.

This isn't about elitism. This is simply about the fact that there is only one endgame 4-man group instance where I actually have to apply something resembling effort. I actually get to have a little bit of fun because LI requires I do more than faceroll my keyboard. I get kinda cranky at how many people want to take that away from me because (apparently) 90% of flashpoints being stupidly easy just isn't enough.

Vankris
06.30.2012 , 04:28 PM | #4
wow is very easy. the latest heroic, the hour of twilight, are 3 of the easiest heroic the game ever had. in fact those 3 heroic are much easier than most heroic cataclysm started with ( blackrock cavern, shadowfang keep, grim batol) yet award 378 level gear (against 346)
so wow introduce dungeon easier awarding better loot.

i don't think swtor emulate wow on that matter, the tier 2 flaspoint are harder and award better loot (rakata chest and black hole comm). seems logic to me.

that being sais, there is one, only one flashpoint remotely challenging. leave it be, you have all the other to play with.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

AhsokaTanorules
06.30.2012 , 08:42 PM | #5
You still have to admit Venoxis and Jindo on new ZG were way harder than Malgus. Kind of sad the main story villain now gets chomped by some random mad scientist into necrophilia.

KindlyOne
06.30.2012 , 09:01 PM | #6
I'm sorry, but I actually agree with most of the replies here. I think it's good that we have a Tier 2 flashpoint that is harder and more challenging than the Tier 1 flashpoints. It makes sense to me.

If you're arguing about the gear level required versus the actual gear obtained, that's a whole different matter.

Tigzie
06.30.2012 , 10:11 PM | #7
Ive gotta disagree with the main poster and agree with the others LI is a tier2 flashpoint it yields higher gear because of this therefore it is a harder hm to work towards its not one to jump into as soon as you hit 50 its more of a go in there once you have geared up a bit the reward is a nice rak chestpiece.

I also dont think people are going to quit because of it its just a stepping stone of difficulty once geared enough its an easy fp to skip through

My advice gear up and enjoy it run some ops and pick up some free gear on the way

Good luck and enjoy the challenge

AhsokaTanorules
07.01.2012 , 07:14 AM | #8
Wouldn't it make sense than if Bioware modified the leg queue finder a bit to make it that people can not queue for these higher Tiers until they meet gear requirements instead of putting LI on the same level as other non HMs?

Vankris
07.01.2012 , 08:57 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AhsokaTanorules View Post
Wouldn't it make sense than if Bioware modified the leg queue finder a bit to make it that people can not queue for these higher Tiers until they meet gear requirements instead of putting LI on the same level as other non HMs?

it has been asked, seemed logical, but many "casual" find the very idea of gear check offensive. Anyone mentioning it is deemed "elitist"

Congratulations, you are now, an elitist. ^^
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

NoxiousAlby
07.01.2012 , 10:04 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AhsokaTanorules View Post
Ok until 1.3 I pretty much avoided flash points so I only recently got started. My 2 50's are tanks. I don't claim to be the best player ever but I was able to successfully tank and run False Emperor and Directive 7 well enough.

Then there was Lost Island.

I noticed the challenge level on this seems a lot higher then the other level 50 flash points. Some of the boss strategies can be very unforgiving. D7 and FE were definitely more casual.

Now I have noticed some people earlier on this board going on about how SWtor should try less and less to follow in the footsteps of WoW for example. While some of WoW's features, like leg queue finder is useful, Lost Island started to remind me more of the level of frustrating play one usually finds in WoW's heroics or raids. Basically my concern and observation is if SWtor continues to try and emulate WoW in this regards it might lead to too many frustrated players starting to hate on this game, those who feel victimized by kick voting cyber bully elitists or even guild drama.
Yes HM LI is a bit silly, considering that flashpoints are the bread and butter for casual players making it inaccessible to many causuals (due to skill & gear requirements) sort of defeats the purpose.

Dont consider HM LI as a flashpoint, it's basicly a mini raid for all the players who QQ'd in the first 3 months about how easy the game was. I agree if BW continue down this path it will hurt them in the back pocket, but if your willing to learn and go back week after week then eventually you will succeed in completing this flashpoint. HM LI is a gear & skill check, both which will improve over time if you have the patience and desire to complete it.