Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

500 People on fleet 30+ minutes for a daily group

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
500 People on fleet 30+ minutes for a daily group

bbates
06.30.2012 , 11:45 AM | #1
I logged in today queued up for my first real experience with the group finder and am totally underwhelmed.

What good is a tool if 500 people are on the fleet and you cant get a group going with it. Yep two full instances, queued for level 50 HM FP and nothing is happening. Reminds me of doing the same laps as before the GF even came out.

Maybe cross-server is something you still need to look into. I've always been a fan of cross server as long as it always tries to match you with people from your server first.
Zero 55 Merc, Tubbington 55 Mara, After 55 Sorc, SleepyBear 55 Opp, Tulduro 55 Jugg Mirand'a 55 Ptech, Naughtengton 55 Sage, Helle'quin 52 Gun,
Proud member of Animosity! The Firefly Legacy!

rkwtai
06.30.2012 , 02:48 PM | #2
Not sure what server you are on, but my experience with the tool is completely different. Each time group formed instantly (looking for dps or tank). Even with only ~100 people left on fleet at 2AM server time group formed instantly.
Very happy with the tool.

Grobluk
06.30.2012 , 03:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by bbates View Post
I logged in today queued up for my first real experience with the group finder and am totally underwhelmed.

What good is a tool if 500 people are on the fleet and you cant get a group going with it. Yep two full instances, queued for level 50 HM FP and nothing is happening. Reminds me of doing the same laps as before the GF even came out.

Maybe cross-server is something you still need to look into. I've always been a fan of cross server as long as it always tries to match you with people from your server first.
Let me guess. You play a DPS class?

All MMO's that use the holy trinity model have a surplus of DPS players. Why? Because life as a bad DPS player is easier than life as a bad tank or healer.

You just get more DPS players than you need to form groups, and various games have tried to handle the problem in different ways.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the LFG tool. You gain nothing from cross server LFG, because you just combine pools that have the same uneven ratio of DPS to non-DPS players.

Solution: Form your own groups, or start playing a tank or healer.

Aetou
06.30.2012 , 03:18 PM | #4
The thing about the group finder is that the speed of queue times doesn't depend on the number of people available so much as the ratio of classes. In fact, the more people there are the longer you can expect queues to be if there is a shortage of one particular role. Let's say there is a lack of healers (the biggest issue on my server usually) - if there are already 200 people queued up then you need to wait for perhaps 75 healers to log on and queue before you are at the top of the list. If there were only 7 people in the queue (as happened early this morning when I logged on) then you only need to wait for 2-3 healers to sign up before you get matched up.

Cross-server will only help solve long waits if different servers have different deficits. While this will be true to an extent it means that servers that currently have good balance (because they have strong communities which have rerolled to meet the collective needs) will be punished by the servers that haven't.

There are only two real 'solutions' to long queues. One is to make the roles that are lacking more appealing (is there a lack of tanks because in PVP full tank spec kinda sucks, for example? Is healing in SWTOR repetitive and unfun due to a lack of diversity in skills?) The second is dual spec, so that people can queue as both healers and dps and quickly swap to healing if needed and then swap back afterwards without hassle/considerable expense. I think that both of these solutions are actually needed, but my priority would be the second as the first would require a big overhaul of all three healing classes and many of the encounters too.