Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lost Island gear?

el_Bizzle
06.30.2012 , 02:37 AM | #1
Was in a group last night (with LFG tool) and ran Lost Island HM. Got to the very last boss. I was DPS with my Merc and had 750-930 damage. Nearly full Columi with two other pieces of Tionese but I did have gear set bonuses.

They kicked me on the 3rd try (first two the others in the group died, last time I died I got stuck and died, not totally my fault as I know what to do).

Was the kick fair? I had the highest DPS. The other three were all in the same guild and they tended to place a lot of blame on me for things that didn't really seem to be my fault.

Am I just not geared enough for it? You HAVE to have full Columi even if it looks like you have the highest DPS?

Seems if we had made it to the last boss we were good enough to finish it. I spent three hours getting there and spent literally $50k in repairs and all for nothing! I'm considering unsubbing because of this! How many groups are like this? Seems like a lot. Sort of ruins the game for me.

Now I could just go to PVP but I don't enjoy PVP right now. I haven't seen all the ops and fps yet so I'm sitll going to play PVE but dang, I'm pretty discouraged with this game right now.

Aurojiin
06.30.2012 , 02:45 AM | #2
Sounds like typical blame-the-pug syndrome. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it except put them on ignore so you don't have to group with them again.

It wasn't that long ago that I had a fair bit of drama when I kicked a fellow guild member from a raid that was half-pugs because they weren't pulling their weight. I don't really have time for some misplaced sense of loyalty :/

Still, back on-topic: if your DPS was the highest and you weren't quite full Columi, it's hard to say. It's certainly doable sub-Columi, but everyone needs to be pretty on-point.

NoxiousAlby
06.30.2012 , 02:46 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by el_Bizzle View Post
Was in a group last night (with LFG tool) and ran Lost Island HM. Got to the very last boss. I was DPS with my Merc and had 750-930 damage. Nearly full Columi with two other pieces of Tionese but I did have gear set bonuses.

They kicked me on the 3rd try (first two the others in the group died, last time I died I got stuck and died, not totally my fault as I know what to do).

Was the kick fair? I had the highest DPS. The other three were all in the same guild and they tended to place a lot of blame on me for things that didn't really seem to be my fault.

Am I just not geared enough for it? You HAVE to have full Columi even if it looks like you have the highest DPS?

Seems if we had made it to the last boss we were good enough to finish it. I spent three hours getting there and spent literally $50k in repairs and all for nothing! I'm considering unsubbing because of this! How many groups are like this? Seems like a lot. Sort of ruins the game for me.

Now I could just go to PVP but I don't enjoy PVP right now. I haven't seen all the ops and fps yet so I'm sitll going to play PVE but dang, I'm pretty discouraged with this game right now.
Unfortunately this is common behaviour with any RDF, the group was looking for a scapegoat and you were the odd one out. Dont take it to heart as we will be hearing this time and time again, all I can suggest is make a note of the characters/guild name and put them on ignore that way you wont get these 3 players again.

HemaOne
06.30.2012 , 06:20 AM | #4
I'd say the first boss is the hardest in the place with the last being a very close second. The thing about the last fight - If everyone isn't moving out of things they shouldn't be standing in quickly, and standing in front of the boss when they shouldn't be, it makes it extremely hard to heal - It's as much about situational awareness than dps (granted you need decent dps to push the next phases of the fight quickly). As the other guys have said, you were the odd one out unfortunately and got the shove. The LFG tool is a brilliant asset for grabbing a group quickly, unfortunately it doesn't have a filter for idiots - something I think even the best programmers would struggle to implement .

As for gear - I definitely wouldn't be touching it with tionese bits, it's a T2 Flashpoint for a reason. That being said, if you're pulling the best dps out of the group you were with (assuming they had better gear than you did) it sounds like a bigger case of needing to learn to play on their part than a fault of yours.

The_Red_Guard
06.30.2012 , 06:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by el_Bizzle View Post

Off topic: Your gear doesn't always say a lot about your actual damage numbers i.e. a Tionese set holder can have a better output damage easily compared to a player with a full Columi set because they just don't know their perfect rotation.

On topic : This is completely normal I have seen this happen many times to others and to my self as well. People having the right gear/dmg but still getting kicked. The reason is simple:
Any mmorpg at a recreational level is friendly and ethical for example you start a character level a bit, so some group activities nothing too challenging. The people are nice, they are normal, don't have any of the gamer addict symptoms. However this all changes once you start doing more difficult things in the game like Tier 2 Flashpoints ( Lost Island HM ) and HM Operations. Because the people that want to do this , are determined to maximize their characters gear. And they no longer have "fun" in a way. They see it as a compulsion ( Which a mmorpg should never be, however it does happen ) to succeed. They don't behave like normal people on the street and have incredibly poor social skills. They don't know how to speak to a person online. They rely on their ability to just click for a votekick because they know how to do that. These players you always meet in Pugs at a higher level. Now that group finder is here, you need even less communication to bring a group together, which these nerds, if I may say so honestly, use to their profit.

I would say try making some friends in a guild. And you can avoid such situations in the future.

Darth-Malice
06.30.2012 , 02:23 PM | #6
Get used too it. Anygame that gives people tools to be trolls you'll find those types. Group with a guild or friends only. Pugs =bad
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

david_watt
12.17.2012 , 11:45 AM | #7
Had a similar issue on my first hm. I was doing esselles and I couldn't heal them through ironfist. So I was kicked. I did some research and found out they weren't interupting his headshot or fighting him away from the heavy hitting adds. I have 2/3 columni at this point and don't believe I would have healed that group even now. As a note every other group I have done esselles with ironfist was a breeze to heal. I encountered something similar on a mailstrom run were we kept wiping on the robot. Figured out it was me not running through him when I got pulled in. I was backing up and taking his blast in the face. Sometimes it is you sometimes its not. Know when its you and figure out what you are doing wrong and be a better pugger.
Trelleg - Jedi Sage Jedi convenant server
Praileg - Jedi Shadow

Nerdcommando
12.17.2012 , 11:52 AM | #8
Lost Island is horribly misgeared. It should drop rakata and require half(maybe 3/4) columni. The last boss is extremely hard. I know a lot of over geared healers can push a group through - but were you using the rakgul vaccine? It mitigates a lot of damge.

Lots of times when a group is stuck on a boss and all are in the same guild they will get some over geared guildie to come in and carry them. It might have had nothing to do with you.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. - Steven Wright

Gwence
12.17.2012 , 12:44 PM | #9
you win LI HM based on how good your tank and healer are, it's the same with any other FP/Ops lol

I play a coruption sorc for LI usually and I'm at about a 40% success rate through group finder right now, usually you know if group is going to win when you get to LR-5 if you can get past that you usually will beat lorrik..

I've had some cases where dps takes way too much damage but it's almost always because they are melee dps and are oblivious to where they should be positioned. LI definitely way easier to win with 2 ranged dps.

but with that said, tank is make or break on this FP moreso than the rest of the group, they have to know how to move the droid the right way, how to dodge the satchles, how to use there interupts intelligently etc. It's alot of work for them, and if the run is successful I usually praise them with some extra glory for being good.

ATAMIANM
12.17.2012 , 01:00 PM | #10
You were probably a victim of the guild association and random kicking. It happens to all of us. It's very annoying when you get kicked near the end. I almost think there should be a ban kicking at the final boss.

I think LI HM is very, very tough for a melee DPS marauder. I usually tell all upfront I have a very difficult time beating the LR-5 droid. I am full Columi/some BH with some Campaign armoring. My DPS is somewhat low because I don't have a Columi MH (it drops in this FP I believe with Lorrick). Usually the group is willing to try a couple of times with LR-5 and if it doesn't work I ask them to kick me and find a better replacement. I obviously need practice on this FP and this seems to be the only method to get it. A lot of the tanks who I have been paired with say they usually go with a ranged DPS, so maybe that is the problem, not enough experience working with melee DPS, in addition to the melee DPS not having the proper experience.

I did get through LI HM with an assassin but also had a very experienced tank and healer. It seemed much easier with LR-5 and the rest was not nearly as bad as my experience has been with marauder.

It's weird because I've done HM KP and EV, and parts of SM TFB with no problem with marauder.