Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Writers' Workshop


Osetto's Avatar


Osetto
06.29.2012 , 10:51 PM | #1
Writing is difficult. Complicated. Laborious. Operose.

There comes a time when one might find themselves with questions on how to start, how to develop, or how to conclude a work. A writer's knowledge is hardly universal, especially when dealing with a universe such as Star Wars. Because as writers we obviously have something to say, I thought we could have a place where we could seek knowledge and insight from one another in a consolidated place.

Trying to beat writer's block?
Trying to flesh out a character? (Names? Motives? Backgrounds?)
Need knowledge of a particular piece of lore? (Timelines? Cathar-Mandalorian relations?)

Seek the guidance of your fellow writers. Because one of us could assuredly provide you with the ideas or information you might seek.

This isn't a place for reviews or extended discussion on the philosophic nature of fiction, but a place for writers to help out fellow writers or would be writers.

Whereas in The Writers' Corner we might discuss how to be better Game Masters, in The Writers' Workshop we might discuss how to put together a proper character sheet. (We might also discuss how to think up a better metaphor... or is it an allegory?)
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

Osetto's Avatar


Osetto
06.29.2012 , 10:58 PM | #2
As sort of an ice breaker, I'd like some people's thoughts on setting.

Were you about to read a story, are there any particular planets or locations that you really enjoy reading about or would like see an author's unique perspective on? Likewise, are there any planets or locations that you are just sick of reading about or feel are unnaturally over-saturated?
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

kabeone's Avatar


kabeone
06.30.2012 , 12:27 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Osetto View Post
As sort of an ice breaker, I'd like some people's thoughts on setting.

Were you about to read a story, are there any particular planets or locations that you really enjoy reading about or would like see an author's unique perspective on? Likewise, are there any planets or locations that you are just sick of reading about or feel are unnaturally over-saturated?
I prefer reading about planets I've "seen" to some degree. So any planets that were in the movies, or Clone Wars, or SW:TOR. There are many writers who can describe a place and I can feel like I've been there, but as a reader I like feeling like the writer and I have the same vision. There's common knowledge like how people dress and what the buildings look like. It makes all other actions that take place within the scene easy to place. That probably makes for the saturation problem that you mentioned. But I don't really care how many people write about Coruscant (or whereever) as long as the story within is interesting.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
06.30.2012 , 03:35 AM | #4
I know virtually nothing about the Star Wars universe, so I can't really say if there's any planet (ship, orbital station or lonesome asteroid colony) I'd particularly like to read or not read about. For the most part the wallpaper and furniture aren't what's important, but the action that takes place around them.

I have a question though. Miraluka see using the Force, right? But how do they see? That is, do they see in the 'normal' fashion for those with a visual cortex (something Miraluka are apparently lacking) or is it more like a grainy echo-location style system (if you've ever seen the recent Daredevil film, kind of like that). Do people with different levels of Force Sensitivity give off different colours, or shadows or what-have-you. Do persons who are effectively Force Inert give off little to no... "stuff" so that Miraluka have a hard time seeing them, or do they stand out for their lack of presence?

The answer is probably really obvious and I haven't looked in the right places.

Earthmama's Avatar


Earthmama
06.30.2012 , 07:58 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I know virtually nothing about the Star Wars universe, so I can't really say if there's any planet (ship, orbital station or lonesome asteroid colony) I'd particularly like to read or not read about. For the most part the wallpaper and furniture aren't what's important, but the action that takes place around them.

I have a question though. Miraluka see using the Force, right? But how do they see? That is, do they see in the 'normal' fashion for those with a visual cortex (something Miraluka are apparently lacking) or is it more like a grainy echo-location style system (if you've ever seen the recent Daredevil film, kind of like that). Do people with different levels of Force Sensitivity give off different colours, or shadows or what-have-you. Do persons who are effectively Force Inert give off little to no... "stuff" so that Miraluka have a hard time seeing them, or do they stand out for their lack of presence?

The answer is probably really obvious and I haven't looked in the right places.
My vision for my Miraluka characters, as far as seeing with the force. Is that in stead of seeing nothingness in their eye sockets, you see a physical manifestation of the force, if you were to look into their eyes, you would see swirling colours, looking almost like smoke puffing around in there, and it would be supremely disconcerting to anyone who was not Miraluka, hence the eye coverings. It's the force that connects to their brain, allowing them to see, making the synaptic connections instead of a physical muscle or nerve. I'm like you in that I love Star Wars, but have not dug too deep into the lore, so I have no idea if I'm wrong. Regardless that's my vision for them, hope that it helps with your thoughts.

Osetto's Avatar


Osetto
06.30.2012 , 08:57 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I have a question though. Miraluka see using the Force, right? But how do they see? That is, do they see in the 'normal' fashion for those with a visual cortex (something Miraluka are apparently lacking) or is it more like a grainy echo-location style system (if you've ever seen the recent Daredevil film, kind of like that). Do people with different levels of Force Sensitivity give off different colours, or shadows or what-have-you. Do persons who are effectively Force Inert give off little to no... "stuff" so that Miraluka have a hard time seeing them, or do they stand out for their lack of presence?.
Miraluka are 'physically' blind, but use Force sight or Force seeing to perceive things around them. The ability is usually used by other Force-users to gain some extra cognizance, look behind solid objects, or enhance their spatial awareness. For Miraluka, the idea of how it actually 'looks' for them hasn't really been expanded upon. It is known that one of the things that is difficult for Miraluka to distinguish is color, at least the colors we perceive. As for dead, non-living material, because of the Force's nature to practically wrap around, flow through, and penetrate all things, it should still allow them to fully grasp the architecture of their surroundings. And for things severed from the Force, they could likeley distinguish the ensuing dark spot.

Benefits however, rest in dealing with organics. Auras are a big part of Miraluka interacting with fellow sentients. Any sufficiently trained Jedi can sense the capability of a Force-user if they aren't masking their presence, but a Miraluka can probably see past those masks, and possess greater details regarding a Force-users being. Because sight is not directed by a set of organs, it could be said that Miraluka have a 360 degree field of 'vision'. Because of the Force's ability to flow through people and objects, trained Miraluka can sense what is behind doors or walls, which might appear slightly translucent to them.

Putting these things together, the first thing to came to my mind was the sort of 'echo-location' you spoke of, but presented in a much smoother, flowing fashion. They might sense the entirety of their surroundings, but focus on what lies in front of them to a degree resembling 'sight'. Because of the Miraluka being a species predisposed to the Force, not only might their level of training impact how they see, but also their lineage, so there's reason to believe that Miraluka could see the galaxy as differently from each other as they do Humans.

Quote: Originally Posted by Earthmama View Post
My vision for my Miraluka characters, as far as seeing with the force. Is that in stead of seeing nothingness in their eye sockets, you see a physical manifestation of the force, if you were to look into their eyes, you would see swirling colours, looking almost like smoke puffing around in there, and it would be supremely disconcerting to anyone who was not Miraluka, hence the eye coverings. It's the force that connects to their brain, allowing them to see, making the synaptic connections instead of a physical muscle or nerve. I'm like you in that I love Star Wars, but have not dug too deep into the lore, so I have no idea if I'm wrong. Regardless that's my vision for them, hope that it helps with your thoughts.
I found this image, suggesting that there can be a visible manifestation of someone using a Force-sight-like ability, so even if some Miraluka might have only vestigial eye sockets behind their mask, one might say that depending on the individual's connection to the Force, there could be the physicality you describe.



Also of note is the fact that Miraluka are one of the species that can reproduce with Humans, which is said to result in offspring possessing unknown difficulties. The mixing of the biologies is not very well documented, meaning positive and negative non-standard attributes could arise. So if one might need to explain a particular peculiarity with their individual Miraluka, you could always say there was a Human somewhere in their bloonline.
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
07.05.2012 , 09:10 AM | #7
I've been meaning to mention my primary SW-info resource, Wookieepedia. I use it for a lot of worldbuilding (worldbuilt?) details I wouldn't have any other way of knowing. For example, in a recent piece I needed an example Core World, so I skimmed through the names mentioned here to get one.

Wookieepedia is where I get most of my information on cities and wildlife in planets my characters wander through.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

elliotcat's Avatar


elliotcat
07.05.2012 , 10:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I've been meaning to mention my primary SW-info resource, Wookieepedia. I use it for a lot of worldbuilding (worldbuilt?) details I wouldn't have any other way of knowing. For example, in a recent piece I needed an example Core World, so I skimmed through the names mentioned here to get one.

Wookieepedia is where I get most of my information on cities and wildlife in planets my characters wander through.
I use that a lot too. In the little item I'm working on for this week's challenge Ayang needed a gemstone necklace and I went there to find one that made sense.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

almostinsane's Avatar


almostinsane
07.05.2012 , 12:54 PM | #9
Personally, I've been trying to write an Akaavi Spar/Male!Smuggler fic for awhile, but I'm having a little trouble. How do you guys see a Smuggler that does what he does for the lols, excitement, and freedom interacting with an angry, serious Mandalorian Warrior outside of the scenes in the game?

kabeone's Avatar


kabeone
07.05.2012 , 01:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
Personally, I've been trying to write an Akaavi Spar/Male!Smuggler fic for awhile, but I'm having a little trouble. How do you guys see a Smuggler that does what he does for the lols, excitement, and freedom interacting with an angry, serious Mandalorian Warrior outside of the scenes in the game?
Opposites can work really nicely but they would have to find something admirable within each other.

I played a femSmug so I don't know how the romance with Akaavi goes, but their friendship is interesting. Akaavi comes to realize that my smuggler's shoot from the hip/wisecracking approach is strange but effective. She recognizes that femSmug has defeated more enemies than luck could account for and with all the clan betrayal Akaavi has faced she respects the femSmug's loyalty and protectiveness for her crew.

On the flip side the maleSmug could start out thinking she's a hard-to-get-conquest who happens to be totally hawt. Then she shows him a few things about honor etc. etc. while still being batsh*t insane for wanting to go kill all those things.

I think that's a good basis for any relationship including romantic and the contrast of their approach to completing a task would be quite funny. Possibly ending up with Akaavi saving the maleSmug most of the time

I am completely pro any fanfic with Akaavi in it so I really hope you write some.

Tomorrow we die, today someone else will. - Akaavi Spar