Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Heroic bonus mission attached to non-heroic mission.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Heroic bonus mission attached to non-heroic mission.

Cuphat
12.18.2011 , 07:42 PM | #1
What the christ.

Republic side, doing Balmorra: Bonus Series 1. This, as far as I can tell, is not a heroic mission, right? Right. "Stage 3 - The Hunt for Lord Tharsis" - its bonus mission, says for you to defeat Apprentice Loell. She happens to be located in a heroic area, is a champion tier level 35 mob with over 75k life. Now, I understand that it's a bonus quest, I don't need it, whatever. I am somewhat of a completionist. I don't want to skip bonus missions, and the one time while leveling that I cheated myself out of a bonus mission, I wasn't happy. This is ridiculous though.

The problem here is that I can either just skip it because I can't do it, complete the quest, and never have the opportunity again, or skip the main quest, leave the planet, and come back when I outlevel the whole thing to the point that I gain nothing from completing it. These are two horrible options.

Can this get changed, fixed, or something? Maybe make bonus missions not vanish when the mission it is attached to is turned in? I don't know. Either way, this seems like a good to stop playing and rest.

Vonpoot
12.19.2011 , 02:20 AM | #2
Get a friend or someone from General chat and do it. Balmorra is getting more populated by the day, just 20 minutes ago at 2am Central Time, one of the most non-peak times ever imo, there were 4 people on. You are playing a MMO, take advantage of that community and do what you see needs doing.

Cuphat
12.19.2011 , 04:46 AM | #3
At the time of the original posting, there were 3 other people on Balmorra, all several levels lower than I was (meaning that they weren't near the quest chain that I was doing, as it is at the end of the planet). I have friends, but they are all way below me (29 or so, compared to the boss at level 35). None of those are going to take down this mission. What, convince all 3 others on Balmorra to drop what they are doing to help someone do a freaking bonus mission? Get my friends to drop what they are doing, hoof it to where I am, and hope they can actually touch the boss? I get that this is just launch woes, but the bigger issue I have with it is this:

Why does a non-heroic mission have a heroic bonus mission? What does that even accomplish? I'm fine with having to skip regular heroic missions for now because there aren't enough people near my level to go and do them. They are repeatable, and they don't go away. I can always go back and do the ones I missed later. But this is just me, doing normal solo missions. If I continue the solo mission, I forfeit the bonus mission for good. And I can't do the bonus mission. It's momentum breaking.

Again, it's just a bonus mission, and I should probably just skip it for my own sanity. But that is the point, it's a bonus mission. Bonus missions shouldn't change the group size required. If it's a solo-able mission, its bonus shouldn't be balanced around a full group. If it's a heroic 2+ mission, the bonus shouldn't be balanced for 4. If you went into a flashpoint and one of the bosses were balanced around an 8-man group, there would be outrage. And there should be. Changing the group size something is balanced for in the middle of it just isn't a good thing.

Indica
12.19.2011 , 05:17 AM | #4
Quote:
Why does a non-heroic mission have a heroic bonus mission?
So it turns into something more then just a simple mission because discovered more of the plot. Now you are facing this big bad evil, go grab your friends

Cuphat
12.19.2011 , 05:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Indica View Post
So it turns into something more then just a simple mission because discovered more of the plot. Now you are facing this big bad evil, go grab your friends
And that's fine. Story-wise, that makes sense. But then it should not be a bonus mission. End the bonus mission at stage 2 and make the group requiring parts its own mission. Or, just make the whole thing a normal heroic mission. I'd be perfectly alright with that, I could complete the solo missions and move on, then come back to take out the big bad evil for good when I have a group to do it with. It should not, however, be a bonus mission tied to a solo mission that has to be completed or forfeited to progress the mission chain.

Jimmyup
12.20.2011 , 11:37 PM | #6
Stop whining at good things.

Cuphat
12.21.2011 , 05:09 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jimmyup View Post
Stop whining at good things.
What an insightful response.

A quest meant for 1 shouldn't have a bonus meant for 4. Why is this a good thing, now?

Cuphat
12.23.2011 , 03:53 PM | #8
Welp, got it done about 4 days later. Still annoyed about it, but at least I can move on now.

Vikin
02.08.2012 , 08:55 AM | #9
Just ran into the same problem. Very annoying, even more, because you need at least 4 people to make it in an out of that area alive.

StarDaimyo
02.09.2012 , 02:08 AM | #10
Well, if you think the Apprentice is annoying, wait until you finally find Lord Tharsis himself ...

I agree though - they should atleast change the label to Heroic at that point.

There is a thread regarding the hunt for Lord Tharsis discussing the same here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=68235

Several people say they have soloed him (and if they can do him, they sure can do the Apprentice), but I have not succeeded in this yet.

I may still learn to play my class better and gear up etc, but these 2 fights seem very hard to me at the moment.
------------------------------
Best Regards
Daim
Jedi Shadow, The Red Eclipse