Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reasons Galen Marek is NOT a Gary Stu

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Reasons Galen Marek is NOT a Gary Stu

YoshiRaphElan
06.29.2012 , 12:09 PM | #1
I've heard many arguments that Galen Marek is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. Therefore I'll take the most common arguments and tell you why they don't necessarily mean he's a Gary Stu.

1. He's supposed to be light side but he uses Force lightning.

So does Mara Jade. Read Dark Nest I, and she tells a Dark Jedi that the Order makes some exceptions, and that they are sometimes allowed to use lightning. Therefore it is entirely possible for Galen to use it without falling to the Dark Side.

2. He's way overpowered.

It's a video game. By this logic, Kyle Katarn, Jaden Korr, Revan, and the Exile are Gary Stus/Mary Sues. If you read the novel, it makes him a lot less powerful that the game. Gameplay mechanics explains that one.

3. He brought down a Star Destroyer.

There was a Jedi named Dorsk 81 who actually killed himself FORCE PUSHING SEVENTEEN Star Destroyers. So it is possible to bring ONE down without dying, because pulling is easier than pushing - because the Destroyer's engines are going toward you if you pull it.

Give me anymore reasons he is a Gary Stu and I'll give you the reasons he's not.

RendValor
06.29.2012 , 12:22 PM | #2
He's a Squishy Sorcerer, formidable force user but his hand to hand combat abilities are severely lacking.

Also in regards to point #2, all those people you mentioned are also considered "Mary Sues" by the fandumb.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Kilikaa
06.29.2012 , 12:28 PM | #3
How do you figure Mara Jade used lightning? I don't remember her ever using lightning. Just because she talked about it does not mean she used it herself.

As for Galen Marek...a 12 year old Jaina Solo could kick his ***. He's just a game character anyway, who really cares if he's overpowered or not?

Liquidacid
06.29.2012 , 12:38 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
How do you figure Mara Jade used lightning? I don't remember her ever using lightning. Just because she talked about it does not mean she used it herself.

As for Galen Marek...a 12 year old Jaina Solo could kick his ***. He's just a game character anyway, who really cares if he's overpowered or not?
I don't remember Mara using it but Luke used force lightning against the Kiliks and Raynar Thul in the Dark Nest trilogy... hell there is even a picture of him using it on the cover of one of the books... lol
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

YoshiRaphElan
06.29.2012 , 12:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Actually she did, right before she was talking about it. She fired a bolt of lightning at Dark Jedi Welk, to which he said:

Welk: "I didn't think Skywalker's Jedi allowed the use of lightning."
Jade: "We make exceptions. Like in this case, Welk."

Captain_Zone
06.29.2012 , 12:50 PM | #6
And knowing how George Lucas reacts to stuff like that, chances are it'll be retconned soon, if it hasn't already. Luke (or any LS) using Force Lightning is a nono. It's a DS ONLY power, apparently. It's just a question of when or if he finds out about it.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with a LS calling down the thunder and lightning. But hey, that's just me. lol

Also, I feel sorry for Leland Chee. No matter how much he's making, he still has to put up with, and KEEP up with George's mood swings on what is and isn't allowed in Canon.

Oh, and here's an indisputable fact: Game mechanics are not canon.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Liquidacid
06.29.2012 , 12:59 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
And knowing how George Lucas reacts to stuff like that, chances are it'll be retconned soon, if it hasn't already. Luke (or any LS) using Force Lightning is a nono. It's a DS ONLY power, apparently. It's just a question of when or if he finds out about it.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with a LS calling down the thunder and lightning. But hey, that's just me. lol

Also, I feel sorry for Leland Chee. No matter how much he's making, he still has to put up with, and KEEP up with George's mood swings on what is and isn't allowed in Canon.

Oh, and here's an indisputable fact: Game mechanics are not canon.
nah don't worry about it... not only is he retiring but he never really reads any of the EU stuff... that's why he pays Chee and a team of people to do it for him... when you are worth $3.2 billion dollars you don't have to read ****!

Helig
06.29.2012 , 01:10 PM | #8
Yeah, he's not a Gary Stu character - he's just an obnoxious, overpowered emo freak.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Captain_Zone
06.29.2012 , 01:17 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
nah don't worry about it... not only is he retiring but he never really reads any of the EU stuff... that's why he pays Chee and a team of people to do it for him... when you are worth $3.2 billion dollars you don't have to read ****!
And that's just one more way George has contradicted himself. He personally endorsed "Shadows of the Empire", yet now claims he didn't even read it. Hmmmm....
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Liquidacid
06.29.2012 , 01:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
And that's just one more way George has contradicted himself. He personally endorsed "Shadows of the Empire", yet now claims he didn't even read it. Hmmmm....
you don't have to read a book to endorse it... 99 percent of the "celebrities" who you see endorsing products have never ever used them... I'm sure he has someone read him the highlights /cliff notes tho... he's stolen enough stuff from the EU someones gotta be telling him what's in there if he doesn't read it... lol

besides SotE was different.. it wasn't even a book first... but he endorsed it because it was the first really large cross media project.. it had games, a book, comics, toys, etc...

but none of that matters because it was SW... technically Lucas endorses everything that is SW