Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Assault Plastique Worth It?

Skodde
06.29.2012 , 09:20 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Suryi View Post
sigh

7/3/31 if you're geared, 4/6/31 if you're a fresh level 50, either way, full assault is best assault for PvE, simply because AP is the strongest filler WHILE IONIC ACCELERATOR IS ON COOLDOWN, i.e.: you only use AP within a 2 global cooldown period after your free HiB has been procced (tehnically it's 3 globals, but the 3rd is used on an attack that can proc HiB again).
Pick up AP instead of +3% tech crit and 6% aim boost? No.

I urge you to run 10 5 minute sessions with ops training dummy in both specs and look at the results. While not drastically different, AP-less spec provides 50-70 dps boost at the very minimum. In raids, it is most likely more.

Suryi
06.29.2012 , 07:06 PM | #12
It's a debate that can't be solved atm due to lack of theorycrafting. There's pros and cons to both builds and due to the heavy RNG factor of Assault it's very damned difficult to eye ball which is better. I ran as many parses as I had time and with full assault, 5 parses, got pretty steady 1.5k dps while with just 1 parse in 8/5/28 i got 1.62k.

HOWEVER:
the one parse I did in non-AP build had a grotesque luck in HiB procs which more then made up for the dps difference (non-AP lasted 4 mins and HiB did a total of 105k dmg while the last AP test lasted 5 mins and HiB did a total of 92k).

I didn't have time to run more parses but... RNG man, like I said, it is very difficult to eye ball what spec is better. Imo it comes down to:

AP BUILD
- AP, which is the strongest ability we have bar HiB. If used within the cooldown period of Ionic Accelerator it will not interfere with HiB procs and it WILL do more damage then Ion Pulse/Stockstrike. My AP tooltip says it deals 2.4-2.6k damage, -30% (boss armor, roughly) that means about 1.8k-2k, with a 2x Crit multiplier, that's the most damage per global we can do apart from HiB. Most of my AP parses had AP do roughly 30k damage or roughly 7-8% of my total damage done.
-Also of note is the fact that AP is 30m range, a godsend in certain fights in EC where some movement is required
-Adrenaline Fueled (reduces cd of Reverse Power Cell by 6 / crit every 1.5 sec); it looks like a meh talent to say the least but what I found it to do is allow me to use every second Incendiary Round for free which saves up a lot of globals spent on hammershotting in the non-AP build

VS

NON-AP BUILD
-3% Aim boost, always good to have
-6% Elemental crit boost, the bulk of our damage

Been trying to find some more theorycrafting sites but I've had no luck so far wish i was smarter lol

The_FLIPmode
07.01.2012 , 09:47 AM | #13
If you are serious about PVP, you will take AP. In PVE, getting 9% more aim is more important.
POT5:
Turanor - Juggernaut, Turannor - Marauder, Turanar - Mercenary, Flļppy -Vanguard
Ele'anor - Powertech, Tyrannor - Sorcerer, , Tūranor - Gunslinger, Turanorr - Scoundrel

olemanbourbon
07.03.2012 , 07:50 AM | #14
The degree of effectiveness of an Assault spike build is not defined by its DPS. Take AP in PvP.

kjfett
07.03.2012 , 09:03 AM | #15
Worth it. Both in PVP and PVE.

inderraj
07.08.2012 , 10:57 AM | #16
I left out AP to get my 9% aim boost, which increases crit and power. I do better than most classes in warzones hitting 700k+ on an average game. It just depends on how you play tbh, it's down to personal preference
The Red Ecplise || Solstice
Imperial: Level 55: Juggernaught (Thunder'storm) || Powertech (Akaal)
Republic: Level 55: Vanguard (Singh) || Shadow (Hail'Storm)

olemanbourbon
07.09.2012 , 01:15 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by inderraj View Post
I left out AP to get my 9% aim boost, which increases crit and power. I do better than most classes in warzones hitting 700k+ on an average game. It just depends on how you play tbh, it's down to personal preference
You boosted your DPS but destroyed your burst.

Hethroin
07.10.2012 , 10:09 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by inderraj View Post
The problem with this statement is that you end up doing more damage the longer your opponents live, so doing more damage in warzones is an inaccurate measure of effectiveness. Spending 20 seconds to kill a guy you could have killed in 10 seconds (with AP burst), results in a higher damage total due to the 10 extra seconds of heals he received while you were killing him.
Corellian Run formerly Mind Trick
<White Talons>: Tigerwoods - Vanguard, Limbaugh - Sentinel
<Black Talons>: Ereldys - Assassin

ZillaElite
03.19.2013 , 08:34 AM | #19
With the recent Nerfs to AP on the PTS and assuming they roll this out as part of 2.0..

•Assault Plastique has been redesigned. The Trooper now throws a moldable plastic explosive that sticks to the target and detonates after several seconds, exploding for kinetic damage and burning the target for elemental damage over 12 seconds. Standard and weak enemies enter a state of panic when the explosive attaches and are knocked down when it explodes.

...don't spec into it and learn to play without it. You can still do high DPS as a Vanguard without AP by working to proc HIB. Sticky Nade is not bad and it has a 30m range as well so it's a good opener to a fight while you make your way into melee range for HIB, IP and SS.

It really does suck that they are making Assault VG a 2 or 3 button class.

Prior to the Nerfs that BW/EA have implemented, my rotation used to be IR/AP/HIB/IP/SS/HIB, with a few hammer shots to refresh ammo, post the gutting of this class, it's now only IP/HIB/SS. I can play this class half asleep...what a joke.