Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Assault Plastique Worth It?

RickAdams
06.28.2012 , 12:45 PM | #1
Spotted another thread that said if you don't take Assault Plastique as Vanguard Assault spec you're not dps. Is this ability even worth it? Shares a cooldown with sticky grenade and doesn't seem to do that much more damage. Am I missing something? If I take this abiltiy I would take the point out of Brutal Impact for -3% damage on HIB.

Here's the spec I'm using:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801fhbbdGhrcZhMZMs.1

I've seen some threads on this topic but they're mostly older threads. I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on dps.

Dartanel
06.28.2012 , 12:50 PM | #2
The difference is that Assault Plastique (despite appearances) is a single target ability. It gives you a higher damage option for when you don't want to break CC or when you're dpsing a lone target.

Whether or not that's worth a talent point to you is up for debate.

_gideon
06.28.2012 , 01:31 PM | #3
It's another option if you're forced to dps from further than 10m. It doesn't bypass armour the way our elemental attacks do. If I'm closer I'd rather spend the cells on something that procs IA.

For me it's not worth speccing.

Hethroin
06.28.2012 , 02:14 PM | #4
It is too valueable a skill in PVP not to have it. It creates a large single target burst window when combined with damage from HIB+IP+HIB. It completely replaces sticky grenade in PVP and has a +30% crit damage increase from lower talents in assault. I've had it crit for over 4.5k in 1.3 (904 tech damage bonus, with 78% surge). My PVP assault spec is in my sig feel free to compare and contrast.

However, if you're building a PVE-only spec then 8/8/25 or other non-plastique variation will work out just fine.
Corellian Run formerly Mind Trick
<White Talons>: Tigerwoods - Vanguard, Limbaugh - Sentinel
<Black Talons>: Ereldys - Assassin

MatticusFinch
06.28.2012 , 03:12 PM | #5
I used to run a PvP focused dps build in assault without AP (spec). However, I have recently added it (spec) and would say it is worth it. Vanguard assault shines in single target focusing with heavy stockstrikes, HiBs, and this additional little beauty. This is useful for focus targeting in both PvE and PvP, since the hardest battles in PvE are always against one target. It crits frequently and hits often (is a tech attack as opposed to HiB, which is ranged).

Especially with your build only being one point off from it, I think it's a waste not to put the point there and remove one from Intimidation, for example. If you were to run with a 8/6/27 type of build, then I would agree it's harder to justify reallocating points.
Prophecy of the Five - RIVAL - The McAwesome Legacy
Billiejean | Guy | Freakygirl | Yojimba
Maul-wannabe | Vader-wannabe | Jane'bond | Zombor

RickAdams
06.28.2012 , 03:34 PM | #6
I guess I should specify this is for PVE and I'm looking to maximise dps for boss fights.

Philosomanic
06.28.2012 , 03:42 PM | #7
For PvP, you absolutely need it.

For PvE, it's strong but not essential. It beats Sticky Grenade by a much wider margin than the tooltips indicate. It has a higher base damage, and it gets a larger benefit from power than Sticky Grenade does. This means that the more you gear up, the better it will be in comparison to Sticky Grenade.

That being said, you can make a pretty strong case either way. It gives you a nice mobile, ranged option for times when you can't be in melee range and have to move around. I believe that skipping it for passive boosts low in Tactics and Shield will probably give you slightly more DPS, but I doubt we're talking about a change of more than 3%. It's not going to be making any huge differences either way.
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

RickAdams
06.28.2012 , 04:03 PM | #8
Okay, thanks for all the replies. It seems like the consensus is that for PVE AP isn't necessary at all. Skodde has a pretty good explanation in this thread as to why it doesn't make a good part of an assault vanguard rotation:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...04#post4756004

Basiclly, as HIB is your main nuke, AP doesn't help you proc anything that either increases your HIB damage or help with ammo management. Essential for PVP, can see a use for it during burst phases in PVE, but otherwise not really wanted.

Chazcon
06.28.2012 , 08:26 PM | #9
I disagree, I wouldn't run an Assault spec without AP. It's technically spike DPS but you could also think of it as a one-tick bleed... what i mean by this is that you toss it, while it is ticking off you can pump a few other shots into the target, and then WHOOMP man down. I can't imagine playing a spec heavy on the right without it.

Plus it's just great fun to listen to the wind-up sound, knowing something baaad is about to happen, lol.
FOR THE VITAE!
Thod says, "they really don't know what they're doing"

Suryi
06.29.2012 , 03:00 AM | #10
sigh

7/3/31 if you're geared, 4/6/31 if you're a fresh level 50, either way, full assault is best assault for PvE, simply because AP is the strongest filler WHILE IONIC ACCELERATOR IS ON COOLDOWN, i.e.: you only use AP within a 2 global cooldown period after your free HiB has been procced (tehnically it's 3 globals, but the 3rd is used on an attack that can proc HiB again).