Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

instant abilities, are they reall instant?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
instant abilities, are they reall instant?

SuperomegaOP
12.18.2011 , 06:34 PM | #1
i just finished playing all the classes to at-least lv 10 and i can safely say that animations are getting in the way of combat...

skills such as stockstrike have noticeable start up animation before it deals damage... you can tell because if you go and play a bounty hunter and get dragon punch you can clearly see that dragon punch is much faster

all classes have these animation differences that make their mirrored class better or worse when compared

back in beta all if not most abilities had their damage happen instantly regardless of animation but this made the game look clunky/laggy and was changed in 1 of the late weekend beta builds(dont go back to to this O.o)

now in early access the problem is animation are simply too long...

im sorry to say but in wow combat was always so smooth and animations did exactly the right thing at the right time and matched perfectly with the damage

there was start up in some/most abilities but the animation happened so quickly that it didnt matter

maybe they should take a look at wow combat and try to see what they can do?

dont get me wrong... i love the animations in this game they are really flashy... but are they too flashy?

thoughts?

SuperomegaOP
12.18.2011 , 06:46 PM | #2
bump?

Insidiousenigma
12.18.2011 , 06:56 PM | #3
I dont see this becoming a game breaking issue, the global cooldown protects against any unfair exploitation of the aimation sequeces, you must also realise that even if these animations are interupted the skill will finish, it has already been sent and received by the server and its just going through the motions. The only time this will really come into play is where you are on minimal health and so is your enemy, and the animatio will make your last damage ability hit .2 seconds too late, but even then thats highly unlikely anyway. Just ride the wave, there are far worse things for bioware to spend their time fixing.

samdbtto
12.18.2011 , 08:18 PM | #4
i dont mind the animations i just want the hp gain or loss, or cc to hit when it is supposed to regardless of animation. Need to test this more to see if its really a problem.

AshPrime
12.18.2011 , 08:20 PM | #5
"Instant" abilities have cast times that are equal to the 1 sec cooldown. Unless of course your lagging. If your having an issue you can increase your ability queue to up to 5 seconds, that might help.
In his own way he is, perhaps, The Most Dangerous Man who ever lived.
A Fist Full of Credits

IronMouse
12.21.2011 , 09:52 AM | #6
I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this behavior, whether it is game breaking or not is another issue.

To me, if a skill says it is instant it should be instant. For damage only skills that get repeated over and over I suppose it won't matter much, but for a CC spell that is supposed to be instant like the pbaoe force push, a 1 sec startup time is a huge difference.

If what the above poster says is true about all skills having a 1 sec start up animation time, might as well have the description of all the instant skills as having a 1 sec cast time. Maybe it wont feel as annoying then.

Vicid
12.21.2011 , 09:54 AM | #7
This is a known issue... I hope BW is fixing it.

The long animations for the trooper are SO bad that if you take any damage while doing Full Auto you only tick 2 out of 3 times. BH doesn't have this issue.
Beware he who would deny you the ability to freely respec, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Bollah
12.21.2011 , 10:03 AM | #8
I completely feel it on my Scoundrel, the Operative seemed so much smoother.

They both have animation lag (Operatives/Scoundrels), but the Operatives animations aren't as long. They effect abilities especially ones that require positional requirements.

A quick stab, compared to taking our the shotgun and shooting. Even Dirty Kick has a bigger "lag" time combat to Debilitate. To me these are "game breaking", I am seriously considering an Agent even though I want to stay republic because of this animation lag.

Seems like Empire classes are more smoother and more "instant". BioWare should look into this because it effects the core gameplay of classes and also effects balance.

Draemos
12.21.2011 , 04:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bollah View Post
I completely feel it on my Scoundrel, the Operative seemed so much smoother.

They both have animation lag (Operatives/Scoundrels), but the Operatives animations aren't as long. They effect abilities especially ones that require positional requirements.

A quick stab, compared to taking our the shotgun and shooting. Even Dirty Kick has a bigger "lag" time combat to Debilitate. To me these are "game breaking", I am seriously considering an Agent even though I want to stay republic because of this animation lag.

Seems like Empire classes are more smoother and more "instant". BioWare should look into this because it effects the core gameplay of classes and also effects balance.
You are limited by the GCD, and the animations all finish before the GCD is up.

GrimMage
12.21.2011 , 05:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Draemos View Post
You are limited by the GCD, and the animations all finish before the GCD is up.
Youre only looking at it as if the player is only waiting for the animation to play out to use their next ability. HOwever, you missing the full view of combat.

If i use my interrupt and it takes 1 sec to actually interrupt and the enemy (player or npc) is able to use their ability because my instant cast is still animating, then thats a problem. This is a problem that has nothing to do with GCD.

Trooper has some of the worst cases of this.

Mortar strike puts an AOE marker on the floor that everyone, including enemies, can see. However it doesnt do damage until 1/2 through the channeling. 50% of the channel is animation, meanwhile the enemy players have noticed the AOE marker and casually walked out of it not taking a single point of damage. The Bounty hunter's equivalent, Death from Above, does not have this delay between AOE marker placement and damage dealt.

Someone else also mentioned Trooper's Full Auto having this cast time issue. Even with the talent that reduces push back by 75%, full auto will only ever do 2 ticks of damage if the player is hit while casting. The talent to reduce pushback does absolutely nothing for full auto. However the BH equivalent works just fine; does damage faster and always does its full 3 ticks of damage even when the player is hit while channeling.
iŻi▀▀▀▀▀iŻi‾°δ‾‾Pך▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇◗ CE