Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Side Sith Warrior

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Light Side Sith Warrior

sasuhol
06.26.2012 , 06:54 PM | #1
If you are a lightside V Sith Warrior, wouldn't it be awesome if you became more Jedi, for example,

Instead of Channel Hatred.
Meditate - Jedi Knight,
This also could go for the reverse for if you are a Jedi Knight with Darkside V

Another Example

Requirements Level 50 Light V
Sith Warrior, would have Jedi Knight Abilities instead of Sith Abilities.

To be honest if the first could happen that'd make me happy. The second... I don't expect it to but all be AWESOME!

Termorn
06.26.2012 , 07:20 PM | #2
That would mean that the light SWs are in actuality JKs and vice versa. I can't put my finger on exactly what, but something tells me that that would mot work. Although yes, the fact that LS SWs channel their hatred to heal is a bit unrealistic in the sense that they are trying to conceal (or do not have) hatred.

Taleera
06.26.2012 , 11:52 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Termorn View Post
That would mean that the light SWs are in actuality JKs and vice versa.
Well, they kinda are, aren't they. :P

OP has a good suggestion, though I think it might take too many resources to design a whole new mechanism around this. Lots of more important stuff on the line first. The game isn't exactly big on consequences regarding LS/DS anyways. :I

Alvantes
06.26.2012 , 11:54 PM | #4
Maybe we should have just had 4 starting classes and let you decide your path from the beginning... Or maybe just once your each a certain point you actually change class to Jedi.

Taleera
06.27.2012 , 12:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Alvantes View Post
Maybe we should have just had 4 starting classes and let you decide your path from the beginning... Or maybe just once your each a certain point you actually change class to Jedi.
Factionless play? Or rather, a neutral faction for beginners and those who can't decide... Would have been cool - like in SWG. I don't appreciate the artificial segregation of the community anyways. It's bad for RP. Taking a Republic prisoner to your ship? Not possible!

I guess it doesn't work like that anymore in contemporary MMOs. Today it's all about shoehorning people into two opposing groups. Plus, I suppose the stories (in addition to requiring even more voice-acting) wouldn't have worked anymore, seeing that they require the player to have been on an advanced path in his faction already. Then again, going from Recruit to Apprentice in 10 levels is no worse than going from Apprentice to Lord in another 10.

Meh, spilt blue milk. At least the PvP is fun. :P

CrazyMadness
06.27.2012 , 01:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by sasuhol View Post
If you are a lightside V Sith Warrior, wouldn't it be awesome if you became more Jedi, for example,

Instead of Channel Hatred.
Meditate - Jedi Knight,
This also could go for the reverse for if you are a Jedi Knight with Darkside V

Another Example

Requirements Level 50 Light V
Sith Warrior, would have Jedi Knight Abilities instead of Sith Abilities.

To be honest if the first could happen that'd make me happy. The second... I don't expect it to but all be AWESOME!
It would be awesome if they at least put that first part in the game because it actually makes a lot of sense.

Hilberian
06.27.2012 , 01:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Taleera View Post
Well, they kinda are, aren't they. :P

OP has a good suggestion, though I think it might take too many resources to design a whole new mechanism around this. Lots of more important stuff on the line first. The game isn't exactly big on consequences regarding LS/DS anyways. :I
No, thank you.

I do always play my Sith lightsided, but I never ever wanted them to become (partially) Jedi.

This stems from the persistent misconception, that the difference between Sith and Jedi is the one between good and evil. Of course the movies do a lot to show that being Sith is evil (murdering children.... great work Anakin!), but I have a lot of trouble seeing Anakin as true Sith (more like a Dark Jedi (and idiot) actually), In truth, the difference is this: Jedi try to reach emotional emptiness/control to find power, Sith embrace their feelings to fuel their powers. That's the entire gist of it.

Now the problem is that many Sith use only negative feelings like hate and anger and unfortunately those have been made the paragon for dark side choices (on the imperial side). Meaning, if you play dark you usually end up slaughtering innocents or torturing a cute Twileak...
But the emotional spectrum is a lot bigger then that. Love, for example is - I am sure few will disagree there - one of the most powerful and most beautiful feelings one can have. It still belongs to the dark side, as all feelings are forbidden for Jedi for fear of getting too attached (There are exceptions, yes. But "there is no emotion, there is serenity" is pretty straight forward, try finding me a section of the sith code denoting to the use of hate or senseless slaughter of innocents. There isn't. It talks about passion and freedom. Can't see anything evil about that.) Its a shame that the choices in the game do not reflect that for a Sith.
For example, as a Jedi you can get dark side points by expressing your love to a certain female (JK players know of this), but for a Sith you get no dark side points for basically doing the same. That does of course make players think you have to be evil to use the dark side (as it seems to be the only way to get dark side points as sith).

But I digress. Sorry. Anyway what I absolutely not want to do is play my Sith as a Jedi. He likes to play things smart (which is usually the light choice, for example with Jaessas parents), but he would never supress his feelings, instead he harnesses (mostly) the positive ones, and draws strength from it. He gets attached a lot and fears to loose his lover, which makes him stronger, espcially when he wants to protects her.
So, whatever the game tells me about him being Light IV, he does use the dark side. Luckily on an RP server I can play it like that, if only I want to.

Game mechanics do not count for RP and I really don't want them to break my immersion by changing my skills like that. At the most I would want a mechanic like the OP requested as optional possibilty, like the dark side corruption.

Taleera
06.27.2012 , 08:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Hilberian View Post
This stems from the persistent misconception, that the difference between Sith and Jedi is the one between good and evil.
Can't agree there. From all I've read, the misconception is that you can cherrypick your powers and still be a good guy.

It's certainly true that you don't have to be a Jedi to do good stuff, or that you don't have to be a Sith to be evil - but at the same time there is no such thing as an evil Jedi or a good Sith. The Force does have an effect on your morality, and people are completely forgetting about corruption when they build their character on absolute liberty from these concepts. The truth is that the more you draw upon the Dark Side of the Force, the more it twists your mind, slowly, creeping, like a virus running through your body, making your blood boil. It is the lure of power in its most raw form. The saying "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" holds true, as we see countless times throughout the movies, novels, comics, games. Even the P&P RPG - as canon as this game - had a system for this, giving you DSP when you did stuff like choking people.

What you are referring to, the balance between good and evil, between the Light and the Dark Side, is known to be a "Grey Jedi", like the Voss Mystics or Emperor Roan Fel's Imperial Knights. The Witches of Dathomir might be counted amongst them, too, I suppose, with exception of the Nightsisters of course.

Even more confusing, however, I find the thought of someone actually being able to stay "good" when growing up in the Korriban Academy. Its curriculum consists of indoctrination, backstabbing and torture. How anyone would be able to grow into a good-hearted being there is a puzzle to me.

There isn't. It talks about passion and freedom. Can't see anything evil about that.) Its a shame that the choices in the game do not reflect that for a Sith.
Heh, from my perspective it's a shame that the game does not provide accurate consequences for certain choices, like opposing one's mentor in the Academy or making one's character guess his or her affiliation when he/she constantly goes against what his or her nation is standing for - and ultimately attempting to achieve.

For example, as a Jedi you can get dark side points by expressing your love to a certain female (JK players know of this), but for a Sith you get no dark side points for basically doing the same.
Well, I presume this is because as a Sith the game assumes you are already "attuned" to the Dark Side. The way the game works is that it does not evaluate the effect of an action based on one's LS/DS score but one's faction. Basically, a Sith kicking a pup is evil (sadistic), but the Sith doing so wouldn't feel bad about it, because he already is corrupted.

In a way it's too bad that the game doesn't use more "context" when determining how many LS/DS points you get, but at the same time this would only make sense if people would actually be able/forced to "switch" class and allegiance, depending on how their choices reflect their morality - meaning if their personality is actually in line with the class/faction they are a part of. The game just isn't that complex, though.

Many of the players will, of course, prefer things like they are now, because this allows them to play good Sith as part of an evil regime, or an evil Jedi as part of a good-hearted order. Consequences simply are a matter of personal preference; some like them, some just prefer to have more freedom.

Master-Nala
06.27.2012 , 09:41 AM | #9
My Light Side Sith is not a Jedi and greatly disagrees with their philosophy. Strong emotions like anger, hatred, fear are not to be suppressed. They have to be acknowledged. The are part of the human (or otherwise) condition. Feeling anger and making choices based on that anger is not wrong. Doing destructive things in anger is wrong. That's the difference. I don't even play my Light Side Jedi as emotionless creatures, because I don't believe in it.

Honestly, this whole element of the force breaks my suspension of disbelief in Star Wars more than anything else. The Jedi way runs directly contrary to what we know about emotional and psychological help. Anakin needed therapy. He went through some very real trauma in the early part of his life. No person should be expected to just "man up" and get over having his mother die in his arms. Or having visions of his pregnant wife dying. With some competent mental health care, there is likely little to no chance that Anakin would have turned to the dark side.
My 60s:Alana-Balance, Myschal-Ruffian, Vodoun-Vengeance, Alan-Medic, Ztephanie-Hatred, Curiosi-Marksman, Angiola-Concen., Chisami-Arsenal, Rickta-K. Combat, Mioni - Seer, Vesnas-Tactics, Psionicist-TK Sinbad-Sawbones, Arbaaz-Serenity, Nal'aa-Infil, Hard-top, Assault

Qaoz
06.27.2012 , 04:15 PM | #10
Light Side Sith reminds me of Starkiller and Revan. They draw on Sith-like abilities, such as Force Lightning and Force Choke, but they're not evil. Yet.
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...