Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing while leveling

ravndark
12.18.2011 , 06:09 PM | #1
Can you heal effectively in flash points and heroic quests while in a dps spec or do you have to be in healing spec?

theonepanda
12.18.2011 , 06:16 PM | #2
We found, while doing instances up to lvl 35 in a guild group while being ~3-4 lvls below the recommended level, that any instance past hammer station generally requires healer spec.

The reason is not so much throughput but that nonhealer specs don't have the energy/focus/whatever sustain that healing specs do...they tend to oom too early and don't have the talents to let them use their efficient heals well.

Also at around 30+ people start getting their talent tree heals which are great, and necessary for harder content.

However, we did find you can pretty easily do dungeons with good coordination if you have 2 offspec dps healers, or 1 dedicated specc'd healer.

Hope this helps.

ravndark
12.18.2011 , 06:37 PM | #3
That kinda sucks since it's so expensive to respec there'll end up not being a lot of healers. Good to know, though. Thanks

Coolfusis
12.18.2011 , 06:59 PM | #4
As the above poster stated, only up to a certain point. The two points in lighting for increased force are the best talents you'll spend in regards to healing for awhile, but the reduced cost of static barrier and reduced dark infusion cast time are what define a healer post-hammer station.

Without those, you simply will not be able to keep up with the damage being outputted. You can always level as healing, though (it's what I'm doing.) I'm more than capable of soloing well (I actually solo 2+ heroic quests), and outside of those first two points in lighting, I am fully corruption specced. (so far. I'll end up around 31/7/3, if I'm not completely off somewhere.)

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...00000000000000
Jesus saves. Everyone else takes 2d6 damage from the fireball.

Metixx
12.19.2011 , 12:38 PM | #5
My guild and I went into Hammer Station last night. I'm lvling a Sith Sorc. I had no issues on trash. First boss we wiped once, second boss was easy. Last boss was wiping my Force out quick. I have my 7 points in the Lighting tree to help on Force and Static Barrier. I just seem to go thru Force really fast on some bosses. This was my first time healing on this toon.

justduet
12.19.2011 , 12:40 PM | #6
I healed Athiss as dps spec and it was fine, Madalorian however was a struggle.
Glycerin | Operative | The Fatman
Gelatin | Operative | Rakata Mind Prison

nazralla
12.19.2011 , 09:47 PM | #7
I've healed almost every heroic quest I have done as a lightning sorc just fine. Instances may be another story, though.

thompkinsbrian
12.19.2011 , 09:51 PM | #8
i have solo several heroic as healer, ive also soloed the first flash point. Getting into the healing tree i can see makes a huge difference. Points to reduce infusion cast time, then the hot that reduces it another second. Hot instant cast then a 1.5 sec dark infusion cast time plus the super cheap static barrier. My companion can tank just about everything with me as a healer. atleast till level 25

Serissa
12.20.2011 , 12:47 PM | #9
Personally I level as a healing spec (usually the one i'll raid with minus some tweaking), I am not having any struggles with any content as far as healing goes.

I think the earlier FP's aren't as hard to where you have to have a dedicated healer, but yeah around Mandalorian and up its best to have somebody thats a dedicated healer.
Narcissism
If we slept with your girlfriend...you would brag to your buddies.

MPJester
12.21.2011 , 09:43 AM | #10
Been leveling spec'd healing. It's awful. Slow as anything leveling, and I still can't heal well on anything other than trash.

Aggro is wonky in this game. So I end up having to heal the entire party. with casts of healing spells being the MOST expensive spells I have, I go OOF before the elite or whatever is even halfway dead. And then I just sit there and watch my party die. Awesome feeling as a healer.

Consumption might as well be removed. 15% for 8% is awful. 8% is less than 1 cast. 15% of my life means that I now have to waste that cast healing me. It's poorly implemented.

It worked on Warlocks in wow because they could heal themselves with damage dealing spells. It fails here.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've run healers in every major MMO to date, and in a metric ton of F2P ones. It's frustrating here.

I just respec'd out of healing. Not worth the investment.