Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Old Augment Slots

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DiabloDoom
06.28.2012 , 04:58 PM | #181
This is what happens when you fix a leaking pipe with duct tape out of convenience instead of taking time with a proper sealant.

GnatB
06.28.2012 , 04:58 PM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by Spaj View Post
I'll clarify since you have jumped on the first conclusion you could assume.

Consider this very real example: Pre 1.3 crit craft level 19 custom orange chest. Put lvl 49 green quality undesirable stat augment in to secure the slot at max level as i'm only 47 and want to wear the same thing @50.
Fast forward to post 1.3. Woot i'm now 50 i'll swap out that augment for something useful. Extract lvl 49 mod..... ***
I would hope/assume this use case is an *extremely* small percentage of the population. I would hope/assume that the vast majority of the player base wouldn't bother extracting that throwaway lvl 49 mod. They'd try to overwrite it with the better one, get the error, realize things are fubared, file a report, come here to the boards, see the issue, and know not to extract the mods.

Only reason to ever extract a mod is to keep the mods... and I'd guess the price of buying a new green mod (if you really wanted one for some reason) is less than the price to extract it. (though I wouldn't know for sure... like I said, there's no reason to ever do it, so I have no real idea what the cost is... green augments are throwaway, why would I want to keep one?)

Spaj
06.28.2012 , 04:58 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
Spaj, I'm not defending anyone's honor. The guy was complaining because it's not fixed now.
He was complaing the proposed fix requires an augment to be in place in order for it to be corrected, as he could not slot this now the fix would not help him. Sadly 'right now' can easily be taken more than one way in this context.
Quote:
And you are complaining that the augment slot on your lvl 19 gear won't hold MK-6 level augs after 1.3 because it did in 1.2. When they make changes, something negative is bound to happen to someone.
Well yes i was as... give me a sec to dig up the dev quote on this... we were told that existing crit crafted items would gain the equivalent lvl/tier/mk augment slot of either: the level of the slotted augment or the level of the item, which ever is higher.

I dont believe that this intent has changed.

Quote:
I imagine all you will need to do is contact CS just like Allison suggested in her post once the fix is in place and explain that the bug screwed over your pre-1.3 augmented gear and that you would like them to mail you an MK-6 augment and I'm sure they will and everyone will be happy.
This wasnt clear from Allisons post as she was specific in the situation to contact CS. But i thought if there was an automated way to fix it, it may save CS staff from another backlog which snowballs to give the general populace extended waits on ticket response times.

Quote:
Thanks for your criticisms in the process. We need more people like you on the forums.
Thanks for the feedback we all could use less posts without a clear constructive purpose. Something your earlier post lacked.
Shanque

GnatB
06.28.2012 , 05:03 PM | #184
I'd doubt there's an "automated" way to fix it after you've extracted the augment, unless they actually keep information about slot history on the item, which would probably REALLY bloat the amount of information the game has to store. My guess is they're mainly just going with the honor system, unless somebody suspiciously complains about "too many" items. (though it's possible there's a timestamp in the item, and they can check if that is post 1.3, so can detect the "easiest" way of attempting fraud.)

Spaj
06.28.2012 , 05:11 PM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
I would hope/assume this use case is an *extremely* small percentage of the population. I would hope/assume that the vast majority of the player base wouldn't bother extracting that throwaway lvl 49 mod. They'd try to overwrite it with the better one, get the error, realize things are fubared, file a report, come here to the boards, see the issue, and know not to extract the mods.

Only reason to ever extract a mod is to keep the mods... and I'd guess the price of buying a new green mod (if you really wanted one for some reason) is less than the price to extract it. (though I wouldn't know for sure... like I said, there's no reason to ever do it, so I have no real idea what the cost is... green augments are throwaway, why would I want to keep one?)
I hope you are right.
Shanque

Rotamortis
06.28.2012 , 07:33 PM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Rotamortis View Post
Even if the old aug slots were working correctly as mk-6 quality, I think it is bogus that a mk-6 KIT is required to upgrade an aug slot anyway. You are basically installing an entirely new aug slot which nullifies all the effort put into the previous mk of the aug slot.

I believe the game mechanic for upgrades should require you to upgrade EVERY level of aug slot. In other words, a mk 1 slot could only upgrade to mk 2, and mk 4 upgrades to mk 5, and so on. BUT the upgrades should require only a single component of the next mk, rather than an entire kit. so upgrading from mk 5 to mk 6 would require only a single mk 6 component rather than a whole kit. By doing this, the cost to upgrade should be severely nerfed, though installations of a fresh aug kit can still cost the same as they do now.

This would make fixing the current issue easier. This would also give some use to those mid level aug parts, and create an economy for them.

We go through a lot of effort to get aug slots on gear. Please don't make all that effort a pointless exercise by requiring an entire KIT o upgrade every aug'd item.
^^ So is this being addressed?

Or is it working as intended to require an ENTIRE KIT to upgrade an aug slot which is the same as installing a completely new aug slot. There is no "upgrade" in this process, persay. You are just completely nullifying all effort put into getting augmented versions of non-50 gear.

Please don't throw all our aug crafting efforts totally into the garbage
█╬╬╬╬╬╬█║‾|███████████████████████████████)

JimG
06.29.2012 , 12:25 AM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post

Agreed. Most people would have just tried to replace the green mod without extracting. I find it hard to believe that someone would have 10-15 green augments in various gear, then mass extracted them right after 1.3 was released to use them for companions and now be stuck with a bunch of empty slots. If you could have put blue or purple augments in that gear in the first place, then that's what you would have done instead of having the green ones there.

The only reasons for having green augments would be as placeholders to protect the level of the augment slot once 1.3 hit so you could upgrade the quality of the augment later without having to get a kit or because you couldn't afford augments better than green level and then you'd probably be improving them piece-meal, not mass replacing them as soon as 1.3 hit.

Regardless, if you tried to upgrade by just overwriting the previous augment, then you got the error and knew right away that there was a bug and, if you removed the augment and upgraded the slot with a kit because you were impatient, then there's nothing that should be done for you there. You should have waited for the fix. If you happened to extract a bunch of augments before testing even 1 of them to make sure you'd still be able to re-insert a new augment, then that wasn't very smart at all given the bugs with augment slots on the PTS and the usual bugs that results from major patches being released. However, even if you took this type of approach, why would you have added kits to all of those slots instead of waiting for the fix? Again, people just being impatient. If someone got screwed on a slot or two, then hopefully they can do something for you. But anyone claiming that they had a bunch of gear that they added augment kits to instead of waiting for the fix shouldn't be given anything. Those people chose not to let BW fix their gear and impatiently just added kits instead of waiting.

JimG
06.29.2012 , 02:27 AM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by Spaj View Post
I'll clarify since you have jumped on the first conclusion you could assume.

Consider this very real example: Pre 1.3 crit craft level 19 custom orange chest. Put lvl 49 green quality undesirable stat augment in to secure the slot at max level as i'm only 47 and want to wear the same thing @50.
Fast forward to post 1.3. Woot i'm now 50 i'll swap out that augment for something useful. Extract lvl 49 mod..... *** nothing will go back in not even Tier 1 augments.

Fast forward to proposed fix, said empty 'augment' in lvl 19 item slot will become a Mk-1 or Mk-2 slot and still require spending on a mk-6 kit (80-200k + 30k attachment - per item) to use a lvl 49 augment because of said bug.
Why would you extract an undesirable, green quality placeholder augment? If you didn't need that augment, all you needed to do is swap in the new one....or, in this case, try to swap in the new one. Most people don't waste credits paying to extract mods they don't want when they are upgrading gear.

Estelindis
06.29.2012 , 04:46 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Why would you extract an undesirable, green quality placeholder augment? If you didn't need that augment, all you needed to do is swap in the new one....or, in this case, try to swap in the new one. Most people don't waste credits paying to extract mods they don't want when they are upgrading gear.
Personally, I did so with one item, after hearing that it would be wise to put green mark 6 augments into the slots in advance to make sure they were converted. I have a level 30 scoundrel wearing the synthwoven aspiring knight's gear made for her by my sage... she couldn't equip the level 49 augment, of course, and she couldn't send it to my sage to do it because it's bound to her... so my sage (level 50) put one into a empty orange that she had lying around that no one wanted to buy and sent it to her. After the patch, I was curious to see if taking out the level 49 augment would bind the item to my smuggler and if it would leave it with a mark 6 slot... so I took it out. Maybe I should be punished for this curiosity; I don't know. It's only one item anyway; I left the rest of my augments in their slots, so it's no big deal.

b-morgan
06.29.2012 , 07:58 AM | #190
Without removing an augment from the slot, how do you determine what level the slot is?

If removing the augment from the slot is the only answer, then I believe there needs to be a better solution.

Regards,

Brad