Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Missions with different paths and endings

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Missions with different paths and endings

Benets
06.25.2012 , 10:23 PM | #1
One thing i always thought was boring and not real in MMO rpgs is every char specially of same class share the same history. You do the same missions, the end of the story the same, the path the same or almost the same. In the end all chars the hero that defeated the emperor or other leader. Do not feel unique.

This game could have diferent paths for same story with diferent paths and ends.

Some dialogues have 3 parts, some choices could direct you to diferent sotry line. Some you could do something and in eventualy change path to other story line. Some points where some of these paths merge and some are turning points with key choices that leads to a specifc story line, some you can change in the middle but some turning points is final, lead to a specif final.

This way at the end, the climax, some story line could be shared by some classes. Like near the end the smuggler choose to follow sombody and spy on him or get him and arrest now. If he's choice is to arrest lead to a specif end, if he choose follow he'll find a bigger fish, sombody who hired the enemy, so you can follow him, later you discover that he have a plan and you need to stole. The jedi knight line at some point yu need to infiltrate this base and get the enemy plan (that is the same of the smuggler quest) following this path the mission's the same for both, and they can even make group to do it together. Like group missions. So in the end they following the same story line that lead to fight a battle in this planet with and epic end.

What i think is like a flowchart that your choices make your story line different from others. With merge points, turning points, choke points with multiple possible endings and paths.

I made those two exemples
Exemple 1

Red is a turning point and Green is when diferent story lines merges. This is a expemple in small scale showing with exemple of missions and type of dialogue.

This second exemple is the big picture.

It shows more than one class story line, with his merges, red lines is when the path you cannot change the end, red is when you need to make a final choice that is a turning point, when some of the choices have a uncheangable end.

You may notice that end 4, 5 and 6 can be achived by both smuggler and jedi knights. You can see that some choices' a shortcut. Some turning points is near the end some's earlier make it more realistic, sometimes you cant change the outcome, even in the first wave of actions, sometimes your last choice can make all the difference.

This way my jedi consular whould have different story and end quest than other jedi consular. That would be nice.
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

loztchild
01.09.2013 , 06:15 AM | #2
Man your a genius this would be perfect because it would make more players unite with each other and also people can actually remake the same class and try out a different path.

Bioware should really read, analyse and work on this idea to put in the game.It's not too late they still can apply this in the late level 55-60 for the next expand pack.

loztchild
01.13.2013 , 10:00 AM | #3
/Bump

Jawstheshark
01.13.2013 , 12:32 PM | #4
I agree, this game fails on the hype on player controlled storyline. There is the illlusion of choice, but most of the time, regardless of how you answer the prompts the same outcome occurs.

I doubt we will see it because of the volume of added work it would take. Also at this point they are not going to re-do old content.

Maybe in future quests we can start to see choices that actually mean something.