Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help me understand character naming.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Help me understand character naming.

Deslan
12.13.2011 , 12:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by HearingGirl View Post
There are many random name generators you can use on the web. Baby Name sites are great as well especially if you go to one that has old (like medieval or victorian names) or name sites for other languages are pretty good too.
The SWTOR character creator has a random name generator too. No need to go to the web, because with the SWTOR generator you are sure to get a name that is viable in game (i.e. no special characters).

Deslan
12.13.2011 , 12:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
Now does the legacy name and the othe surname have to be different name from everyone else in the 'universe'?
The legacy name has to be unique on all servers, if I understood it correctly. I.e. if someone on server A has legacy name Spidey, you can't have it even if you are on server B, so you have to come up with something unique like Spideys.

The legacy name is the surname.

Your first name has to be unique on your server. So you can have a toon named Arachnid on server B and someone else unrelated to you has a toon named Arachnid on server A. However, if you want to create a second character on the same server, you have to choose a new name, like Arachnea.

thereisnotry_
12.13.2011 , 01:00 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Asei View Post
Does anybody know what the minimum character length will be for Legacy names? I really like to plan chracter names, and want to have a 4 character Legacy name.
Hmmm....Fett?
Try not! Do, or do not...there is no try.

MrSchmo
12.13.2011 , 01:09 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Deslan View Post
The legacy name has to be unique on all servers, if I understood it correctly. I.e. if someone on server A has legacy name Spidey, you can't have it even if you are on server B, so you have to come up with something unique like Spideys.

The legacy name is the surname.

Your first name has to be unique on your server. So you can have a toon named Arachnid on server B and someone else unrelated to you has a toon named Arachnid on server A. However, if you want to create a second character on the same server, you have to choose a new name, like Arachnea.
Thanks. You have been a huge help clarifying the naming convention for me.

Dreggzender
12.13.2011 , 01:15 PM | #15
The original dev forum post on the legacy system said one legacy name for all servers, soon after that they came out and said that was a mistake. It's one legacy name per server.
(███████████████████}|█[Ξ()SNARK[]Ξ█|{████████████████████)

dmikhail
12.13.2011 , 10:36 PM | #16
What's the maximum number of letters?

Dreggzender
12.14.2011 , 01:06 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by dmikhail View Post
What's the maximum number of letters?
Based off of one of the names I used in beta I can tell you that it's at least this many. (including one apostrophe).

(███████████████████}|█[Ξ()SNARK[]Ξ█|{████████████████████)