Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why so many companion gift missions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why so many companion gift missions?

LeonBraun
06.24.2012 , 10:21 PM | #1
I'm trying to get some underworld metals for crafting. These can not be farmed. The only way to get them is from companion missions, and my mission log is constantly filled with companion gift missions which I don't need.

I understand having some there. But is 4 or 5 really necessary? All I want is AT LEAST one Underworld Metal mission there at all times when no companions are already out.

Why is this not happening?
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

Sammm
06.24.2012 , 10:36 PM | #2
I guess you're very unlucky if that situation happens to you all the time. You could always buy some UT missions from the GTN and get some from your Slicing missions. But I think there's a workaround to "reset" the UT missions list. You send one of your companions to an UT Gift mission but you cancel it after ~5 minutes. I think it resets the whole UT missions list, but I'm not 100% sure.

LeonBraun
06.24.2012 , 10:54 PM | #3
Yeah, it's a constant thing with my Cybertech toon.

I'm constantly without Underworld Metal Missions. I've been sending companions out for underworld fabric missions even though I don't have a high level Synthweaver, just try try to sell the mats and reset the list, but Synth mats really suck for rates to sell, so it's not even worth it.

I've also been sending them out on gift missions and sending the gifts to my alts... Still, this is a horrible waste of credits.
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

Bartes
06.24.2012 , 10:56 PM | #4
you can always change zones to have list rewritten but it takes too much time. I have same problem with diplomacy. 80% of missions are for companion gifts and it is a pain when I need Medical Supplies.
Aes Sidhe

Bartas - lvl 50/70+ Gunslinger - Sharpshooter specced and lovin it!

Ashlian
06.24.2012 , 11:16 PM | #5
I know they mentioned in a dev post that they were thinking about changing this so at least one of each mission type showed up at all times. That would be a start, because I run into this as well....and I have three toons that do UT, as I have a cybertech, an armormech, and a synthweaver, all of whom need metal. It's endlessly frustrating to log from toon to toon farming for one tier of metal only to end up with just a couple of missions over three toons. Metal shows up far less frequently than luxury fabric, and nothing shows up like companion gifts. Companion gifts should, at most, be one or two of the selections. Never, as has happened to me on more than one occasion, four or five. I should have to jump through hoops to reset the missions, either.

Snakeyees
06.24.2012 , 11:21 PM | #6
Bioware is aware of it, but just because their aware of it and looking into it doesn't mean it will be fix any time soon, in fact it will probably take 6 months of them looking at metrics to fix it. its been a known issues since early access.
Asro Miraluka, Jedi Guardian Level 50 Veteran of Squadron 367 Server: Bergen Colony
--->.

hippiechick
06.25.2012 , 12:59 AM | #7
My goal for this game is, and has been since day 1, to get all of the companions AND max out their affection/complete all conversations. So I LIKE how many missions provide gifts for them. Its not an easy goal and the gifts make it possible. I always toss in enough missions to keep a decent stock of metals/cloth going on, not a big deal really.

My vote goes to yes, increase the amount of missions that give other items, but no, do NOT decrease the comp gift missions!

M

PS I am about half way to my goal. Good times!
If at first you don't succeed...
then skydiving isn't for you.

Ashlian
06.25.2012 , 02:10 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
My goal for this game is, and has been since day 1, to get all of the companions AND max out their affection/complete all conversations. So I LIKE how many missions provide gifts for them. Its not an easy goal and the gifts make it possible. I always toss in enough missions to keep a decent stock of metals/cloth going on, not a big deal really.

My vote goes to yes, increase the amount of missions that give other items, but no, do NOT decrease the comp gift missions!

M

The thing is that most of us who do UT or Diplomacy are doing it for the tradeskill materials. The companion gifts are, and should be, a bonus. Not the majority of what we see. It's nice that you can keep a decent stock of metal and cloth....you must not do as much tradeskilling as you do farming for companion gifts. I assure you the ratio of missions for anyone doing much cybertech or armormech is atrociously bad. I should never, ever have a tier in which I see five companion missions and not a single metal mission. It should not even be possible to not come up with at least one of each actual crafting mission per tier. I have no problem with them adding additional missions, but barring that, it should never be skewed to more companion gifts missions than missions for tradeskill materials. You can always sell the tradeskill materials for far more than the companion gifts if you want companion gifts, in my experience. Because there....are....so....stupidly many companion gift missions.

Catsmeat
06.25.2012 , 02:59 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post

M

Once you get all 8 of your characters to 50 and their companion affection maxed out the gifts become totally irrelevant. Heck it's been so long since I've had a conversation with a companion I'd almost forgotten they did that.

Once you max out they are quiet, once you max out gifts are useless.

Dibdabs
06.25.2012 , 04:07 AM | #10
There's times I have wanted to send companions off for metals and EVERY mission available was for companion gifts. Most sessions I'm lucky if I see two missions for metals.