Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An Idea for LR-5 Sentinel Droid

Larry_Dallas
06.25.2012 , 11:48 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by MaliksKid View Post
It's no secret that this boss is a melee hater. The tactics for melee compared to ranged DPS make this highly unfair to melee guys (especially sentinels). So I would propose the following tweek to make this fairer to melee groups while still remaining challenging and fun. When the boss is about to drop his lighting ball thingy and the target appears at the DPS's feet, instead of it being a second before the ball appears make it 5 seconds. Next make the target follow the DPS (or healer or whoever) as they run around.

Now when he puts the target at your feet the DPS has to run from the center and place his ball of lightning on the edge then run back to the center. You are still filling the arena with lighting, so it's still a challenge, but the tank can stay in the middle same as with the range guys. If you did it with an all range group the tactics would remain I would imagine pretty much the same.
So, sort of like HK, where you drag the circle to place X.

I don't know about this. I think you're just encouraging the soft enrage to be hit. If you think about it, you're taking 1 melee out of the fight for 5 seconds every 15 or so seconds (and you lose at least 1 additional DPS from boss for 5 or 6 seconds when the adds pop).

And it's not like these lightning balls even tick for that much now. I'm ranged, but in my experience in groups with melee in this FP, if there's a melee-related wipe, it's usually from splash damage from a missed/late-interrupt on incinerate (ex. the tank's moving boss when it starts channeling), not because the bubbles outpace the healer for the second or two the melees get caught in them.

Suppose you could say to increase the timer on soft enrage, but that's going to make it really easy for ranged groups that aren't geared enough to outpace Savrak's hard enrage to get through the droid boss easily, only to run into a boss that's mathematically impossible to defeat 25-30 minutes later.

_Zorth_
06.25.2012 , 12:18 PM | #12
Most misinformed thread ever..

This boss is not a melee hater, If tank is not a complete idiot he can move the boss around the room and melee can follow around, Making the AoE's not a problem. Plus, melee hardly suffer from movement heavy fights, something that ranged do.
The Red Eclipse
Best Player World Wide
..Greedo shot first

Chaqen
06.25.2012 , 02:19 PM | #13
The blue balls have a habit of dropping on the person that is second on the hate list. If the tank guard the melee dps, and the group has a decent range dps, you will see that 90% of the balls will land on the range dps, and make it where the tank wont have to do much kitting.

MaximusRex
06.25.2012 , 03:48 PM | #14
Kiting the boss around the edge of the room wouldn't be so bad except that his fire attack that I can't think of the name of can be cast at range and through line of sight, so if he lags behind in the balls of lightning and you don't have a ranged interrupt it can be a problem. They should be able to do something better with that mechanic so that kiting isn't so hit or miss.

Justcae
06.25.2012 , 04:06 PM | #15
Its not hit or miss at all. Run this with two melee consistently, its never ever been a problem.

Though I can see the argument that with two range classes you can make the mechanic easier, if you can't simply walk the boss around the room you are failing quite hard and probably shouldn't have rolled melee DPS to begin with.

Melee DPS tends to have to be more mobile, in every game, in any encounter that is not just "Boss has frontal cleave". If you can't deal with LI, you're going to have problems progressing at all on your class.

Even if we have a range class when we do this fight, we still kite the boss around the room, if its at a point where we might miss an interrupt, congratulations, tank pop a CD. That's what they are there for.

Instead of demanding that they make a fight easier for you, when so many people have zero problem with it, use it as an exercise to actually get better. Rather than just dumb down content that's already simplistic.

shadowflit
06.25.2012 , 04:17 PM | #16
This fight is not especially difficult with a full melee group. In fact, I have not found an encounter where bringing a melee heavy group was a problem, provided everyone fully understands the mechanics of the fight.
Fleur
Night's Radiance
Ajunta Pall Refugee

KVork
06.25.2012 , 04:54 PM | #17
As someone mentioned, with one melee, guarded by a tank you will hardly see a ball on said melee, it will drop on ranged or less likely a healer.
I tanked Li few times with one melee and one ranged, once with two melee and once with 2 ranged. It was obviously easier for me with 2 ranged, but with one guarded melee it is still not that hard, just position this melee player so his (unlikely) plazma ball will not block your way to next safe spot - figure where you want the balls, tell dps where to plant balls and you are good.
Also lava has indicators before eruption, and there is always safe path in every direction (if not blocked by plazma due to bad dps positioning).
Adds can be ignored at first, then aoe taunted by a tank and aoed.

I am sure then once you clear it once or twice you will get used to this fight and one shot it most of the times, even with melee.
Not a servant of the Force, Master I am.

MaliksKid
06.25.2012 , 06:03 PM | #18
I have cleared the fight (as sent and shadow) with both another melee and with a ranged. I would be all for them introducing something new alongside this to raise the difficulty a bit higher. I've also done this with 2 different pug groups as tank, one all melee, one all ranged. The difficulty level is massively less without having to move around, you're never out of interrupt range for a start. I also completed the FP as healer and it's so much easier again with ranged, target appears, run, drop aoe heal, go back to tank, repeat. Throw in the occasional cleanse if the tank isn't concentrating and you've got him beaten. Compare that to melee who are occasionally getting splash damage off incinerate and dying or the tank loses aggro because he can't back away from the lightning and keep attacking so once taunt goes he has no threat. Or as a healer you lose sight of the tank at a crucial moment because he's moved behind a pillar and you can no longer see him. From every persons perspective in the group all ranged > ranged + melee > all melee. So take someone who has just really chosen this to get the black hole comms, you know you are going to make the fight harder for yourself as a tank and healer if you have melee in the group, the answer to which is don't take melee.

In short, I don't want a gimp, just a mechanic that is fair to all classes.

Monoth
06.25.2012 , 06:13 PM | #19
Some of the people saying it's easy are Range players, go figure......

I never said it can't be done with melee dps, just that is a lot harder with melee dps then range dps... To the point that as a Tank I won't bother taking in DPS Melee unless I know they are extremely good at their class.....

If thats what Bioware intended then so be it..... People who are average at Melee should re-roll to range dps because that's definitely the easy route... and until they do they shouldn't expect invites to certain flashpoints and op runs...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Justcae
06.25.2012 , 06:36 PM | #20
People complaining about this fight and melee are basically terrible at this game by their own admission.

Please disregard their comments. If "moving while fighting" has become a complex mechanic its a lost cause.