Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An Idea for LR-5 Sentinel Droid

MaliksKid
06.24.2012 , 07:18 PM | #1
It's no secret that this boss is a melee hater. The tactics for melee compared to ranged DPS make this highly unfair to melee guys (especially sentinels). So I would propose the following tweek to make this fairer to melee groups while still remaining challenging and fun. When the boss is about to drop his lighting ball thingy and the target appears at the DPS's feet, instead of it being a second before the ball appears make it 5 seconds. Next make the target follow the DPS (or healer or whoever) as they run around.

Now when he puts the target at your feet the DPS has to run from the center and place his ball of lightning on the edge then run back to the center. You are still filling the arena with lighting, so it's still a challenge, but the tank can stay in the middle same as with the range guys. If you did it with an all range group the tactics would remain I would imagine pretty much the same.

Monoth
06.24.2012 , 07:48 PM | #2
I agree with the OP, this would put things on a even playing field with Range DPS..... The way it is now it's brutal on Melee Players... You end up having to kite the boss around with everyone following it while trying to move out of the electrical shields.... It's 100 times easier with 2 range dps.... I'm at the point I won't take melee dps into Lost Island because I end up spending 100k plus on repairs.... Right now the best way to do it is to bring range dps ONLY.....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Monoth
06.24.2012 , 08:32 PM | #3
Bioware could also make the electrical balls as a cast by the boss, so we can see it casting on his bar, at least that way melee can run away from the tank.
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Aetou
06.25.2012 , 03:47 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
I agree with the OP, this would put things on a even playing field with Range DPS..... The way it is now it's brutal on Melee Players... You end up having to kite the boss around with everyone following it while trying to move out of the electrical shields.... It's 100 times easier with 2 range dps.... I'm at the point I won't take melee dps into Lost Island because I end up spending 100k plus on repairs.... Right now the best way to do it is to bring range dps ONLY.....
I tried LI HM on my Vig Guardian (in a PVP spec too, I was too lazy to change) alt for the first time yesterday. I was in about 50% Rakata, as was the tank (also a Guardian.) The rest of the group consisted of a mostly-Rakata Infiltration Shadow and then a mostly-BM Commando Healer who hadn't done the FP on Hard before.

LR-5 took us two attempts. We one-shot the other bosses except for Lorrick who took 3 attempts (due to the healer and myself needing to get a feel for the mechanics on the last fight as doing it as mDPS is a lot harder than healing it or doing it with rDPS.)

So, now I've cleared LI HM 4 times on different characters I'm starting to fall more into the 'It takes a while to learn but once you get the mechanics it's actually quite easy' camp. Remember, that's having done it as mDPS and also healed it with both all mDPS and all rDPS.

While I wouldn't be particularly upset with the suggestion of making the domes deploy using a mechanism similar to the yellow missile strikes on Firebrand & Stormcaller or making them deployed by an uninterruptable 3s cast ability I think I'd actually rather if they made the fight more challenging for ranged groups by adding a mechanism that makes keeping the boss in the middle a bad idea. Basically, I like the current challenge level of LI HM and want more content on that level rather than making it easier - I really hope when they give the remaining FPs HMs they are Tier 2 and at least as hard as LI (harder, even, as by then you can expect people to be wearing mostly-BH.)

Aurojiin
06.25.2012 , 04:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetou View Post
We one-shot the other bosses except for Lorrick who took 3 attempts (due to the healer and myself needing to get a feel for the mechanics on the last fight as doing it as mDPS is a lot harder than healing it or doing it with rDPS.)
Never ceases to amaze me the strange experiences people can have with different encounters.

I honestly cannot conceive of how melee DPSing Lorrick is harder than ranged DPSing it. Move out of bad stuff, hit boss. Done.

Aetou
06.25.2012 , 05:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Never ceases to amaze me the strange experiences people can have with different encounters.

I honestly cannot conceive of how melee DPSing Lorrick is harder than ranged DPSing it. Move out of bad stuff, hit boss. Done.
Ranged DPS are spread out and can adopt a new DPS position anywhere within 30m of the boss. Basically, you just keep the group spread out and then when the circles appear strafe a few meters to the side before continuing to DPS.

With melee DPS you are going to have the circles spawning much closer together and so it is slightly trickier to move out of them into open space. In particular, you then need to also be able to get back within melee range of the boss which involves more movement than rDPS have to worry about - the tank needs to pull the boss to somewhere that leaves a path for the mDPS to get back to him. Now, this is certainly not hard but it is an extra layer of things to worry about and if you don't think of it in advance can cause a wipe if you also have an inexperienced healer.

I really don't understand how anyone could say that this encounter isn't easier with ranged DPS because with ranged DPS you have more flexibility with positioning . Why do you think that ranged DPS have a harder time than melee on this boss? Heck, even Sav-rak is slightly easier with ranged DPS for similar reasons. None of that is to say that the encounters are particularly evil with melee dps, just that they are a bit more challenging. I'm pretty sure the real reason for the two wipes, though, was mostly the fact it was the healer's first time in HM - I've healed it with 2 mDPS before without much difficulty.

Aurojiin
06.25.2012 , 06:00 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetou View Post
With melee DPS you are going to have the circles spawning much closer together and so it is slightly trickier to move out of them into open space. In particular, you then need to also be able to get back within melee range of the boss which involves more movement than rDPS have to worry about - the tank needs to pull the boss to somewhere that leaves a path for the mDPS to get back to him. Now, this is certainly not hard but it is an extra layer of things to worry about and if you don't think of it in advance can cause a wipe if you also have an inexperienced healer.
This crossed my mind, but to be frank, I consider this so simple that I don't think it even counts as additional difficulty. AOE drops: tank and melee move towards the kolto tank. There's no reason for them to step out of attack range or stop DPSing at any point. The AOE only remotely poses a problem if your tank rushes straight to the next kolto tank and the AOE forces the mDPS out, but this just boils down to common sense.

Then there's the fact that melee DPS are often (at last as far as sents/maras are concerned) putting up higher numbers. Take two decently geared mDPS and laugh at how quickly you push Lorrick's phase changes.

pureeffinmetal
06.25.2012 , 08:13 AM | #8
I don't understand why moving a boss is more difficult?

This is basically why people think melee dps is harder in this place...because if AOE drops on the boss your tank has to move?

I don't understand it quite frankly.
Fallschirmjager
Lightning Sorcerer
<Rapture>
The Shadowlands (Formerly Shadow Hand)

MaliksKid
06.25.2012 , 10:59 AM | #9
The point isn't to make the FP easier as such, it's to make sure it isn't a gimp to take melee instead of range. I've started to see plenty of "LF1M Ranged DPS for Lost Island". Now fair enough they may be wanting to balance melee with range, but i think it more likely the healer and tank want an easier ride so take ranged over melee. A poster above mentioned Shadows / Assassins which don't tend to suffer in this encounter quite as much as a sentinel or guardian does. Moving the boss around the room while staying within 4m at all times is tough, especially when the boss decides to stop mid move to cast something.

I'm willing to bet come tomorrow there will be a post on the forum saying that a melee dps got vote kicked from a Lost island group.

koloa
06.25.2012 , 11:28 AM | #10
I don't know why players fined the Flashpoint harder with melee in it. I have a Gunslinger and a Vanguard Tank.
Yes having range only makes the tanks job a bit easier. But a tank should easily be able to kite the Boss. If the Tank can't kite in this fight , then they are lacking a skill that is needed for tanking Endgame.

My fastest run through Lost Island HM was with a Sent DPS, Vanguard DPS (his first time), Scoundrel Healer, and me as Vanguard Tank. We did the fight in about 30-35 mins. One death only on the droid.

This fight is hard if you don't know the mechanics of it.

The only players I don't take in this FP is new 50's that don't have the gear yet for it.