Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Quicker way to exit the game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Quicker way to exit the game

Skodan
06.24.2012 , 08:30 PM | #11
try playing in windowed fullscreen mode instead of fullscreen mode if you arent already, that speeds it up for me, plus it allows me to alt-tab so i can browse the internet
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Gidrea
06.24.2012 , 08:46 PM | #12
It never works for me.... well, maybe once in 50 times it exits correctly. I just hit ctrl-alt-del and sut it down from the task manager.

Kytea
06.25.2012 , 01:07 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by amdroyd View Post
I appreciate the reply. It seems to be hanging somehow, even with that sequence.
On slower computers, you may have better luck by first logging out to the character selection screen, then from there selecting "quit game"

Sabaot
06.25.2012 , 05:50 AM | #14
Define "slower".

I almost always quit to character selection screen then use exit button and for the last week I had few sec black screen and had to wait till desktop turned on.

I run on i5 intel, 4gb ram, can't remember what gfx card exactly but nVidia for sure, just can't recall spec. Pretty decent build but not high end. What I noticed is that you are required to have pretty fast HDD.

Mine is slow as snail and while game itself runs smooth on quite high settings I have several issues with texture loading. It looks like I enter new area/building and have just textures if they were 800x600. Then they load improved and more complex until they reach destination resolution and quality. I can observe sometimes 3-4 steps before I can see high quality textures.

On the other hand I had an opportunity to play on a bit stronger PC but game was sitting on a SSD. My issues were nonexistent. While other PC parameters were comparable the only real difference was a HDD. And it mattered.

Overall I find SW TOR rather resource devouring and not as smooth in running as WoW... Lots of improvements I'd like to see here.
Yuki'no'Chi

Kytea
06.25.2012 , 08:58 AM | #15
Well, if it hangs when you go straight to "quit game", then use the "log out, then quit" method. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "slower PC"

I had to do this on my old PC (Q6600, 4GB RAM)

I no longer need to do this on my new PC (i7 IB, SSD, 16G RAM). alt-tabs take less than a second, "quit game" takes 1-2 seconds.

Raora
06.25.2012 , 01:43 PM | #16
logout>server list>then quit

Ezrat
06.25.2012 , 04:49 PM | #17
I would be wary of turning off your computer to exit the game. Thats a good way to potentially create corruption in your game files. I recall that they are very fussy about that which can result in having to sit through a long repair or possibly reinstall the game. I could be mistaken.

In general though, it is not a good idea to flip off your computer without a proper shutdown, unless one of your hobbies is reinstalling operating systems
Recruitment Officer - Sola Gratia - Harbinger (Republic)
A family-friendly, Christian-led, drama-free, active guild.

New? Coming back after 90 days? Let me refer you for a free starter pack.

StDenton
06.27.2012 , 01:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Doooz View Post
I don't know if it is the same problem but when I exit the game I have a black screen
with the game's mouse pointer in the middle. It takes forever to go back to the desktop.

I always tought it has something to do with caching of textures or game data because it always happens
when I exit the game after going to the fleet and during the "black screen" my hard drive spins a lot. Like the game was unloading all the textures it loaded from the fleet...

I'm not sure if it's because of my computer having only 4 gig of RAM or because I run the game under Windows 8 beta but to exit this "black screen" I hit ALT-TAB and then the the Windows key on my keyboard and I get back to the start screen.

Hope it helped

Dooz
I have the exact same issue.Logging out of my charachter and then selecting quit from the charachter selection screen doesn't help at all.Exact same thing happens as mentioned I have a black screen with the game's mouse pointer in the middle. It takes forever to go back to the desktop.Tried hiting alt+tab,alt+esc,windows key,ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager,nothing speeds up the process.Quite often I have to reset my computer to exit the game,simply because i don't have time to wait that long for the game to exit properly.

Ferment
06.28.2012 , 07:48 AM | #19
As mentioned above, this is how i do 'it' every time:

"It never works for me.... well, maybe once in 50 times it exits correctly. I just hit ctrl-alt-del and shut it down from the task manager..."

~Highgarden

dexoforce
06.28.2012 , 07:54 AM | #20
Happens to me, it just goes not responding, click your task bar and open Task Manager and just end the program there.