Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.24.2012 , 08:35 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Every username and legacy associated with that name would be in the mailing database, if I type in a name to mail to then a series of display markers will hint their legacy name. If that person doesn't want to reveal his legacy out to the public then why not just send a private message to the person that's mailing you? so he or she knows they are mailing the right person!
If we're going to go into "why not just....", why not just accept whatever new character name you have? Even if they would implement this feature, they're going to grandfather it in, because (as far as anyone can tell) servers don't keep track of what your name WAS.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

monkgryphon's Avatar


monkgryphon
06.24.2012 , 08:40 PM | #12
I don't show my Legacy name at all, since it is completely optional. Plus I don't want you to know my legacy name or anyone else for that matter, since I have the option to completely hide it. I don't want you to be able to find my alts by my legacy name through the mail system. How would you differentiate me?

HeavensAgent's Avatar


HeavensAgent
06.24.2012 , 10:16 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
It should be 'Letters' only in any name no exceptions!
I completely disagree. The lore supports names with non-alphebetical letter. In fact one of the playable species in the game, the Twi'lek, utilize a naming system that always makes use of an apostrophe.
Del'lantam Trooper of Alpha Company, 203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion

Havokk's Avatar


Havokk
06.25.2012 , 02:55 AM | #14
If the combination was first and last name then you would still get complaints on the forums because two people can't both have "John Smith". Additionally, iff John Smith on one server transfers to another server then the player still has to rename the character.

If it helps, think about the idea that your character's name was not "Aerith" it was "Aerith on The Harbinger". When transferred to Dalborra, that character's name is now "Aerith on Dalborra" which might conflict with an existing "Aerith on Dalborra". Thus the new Aerith ends up being "AIGFLEUIWEHSD on Dalborra" and can be renamed (but not renamed to "Aerith on Dalborra").

If I had designed it then names would be unique. Not unique per server but unique across all servers. Then these naming threads would not exist and we could go back to using the forums to ***** about 1.3. :-)
▂▇≡≡≡≡≡≡≡(•)▇(₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦

capitalbel's Avatar


capitalbel
06.25.2012 , 06:23 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by monkgryphon View Post
I don't show my Legacy name at all, since it is completely optional. Plus I don't want you to know my legacy name or anyone else for that matter, since I have the option to completely hide it. I don't want you to be able to find my alts by my legacy name through the mail system. How would you differentiate me?
I do the same. I don't want to show my legacy name, it makes that whole thing way too long.

In your solution are you going to make everyone show their (title?), first name and legacy name?
If not, it's going to be confusing to differentiate a player you meet John who doesn't show his legacy name and the twenty other Johns that you see running around. Did John you partied with last night choose to show his legacy name? Did he change his title?

A unique first name is easy. Good news is that you probably won't have to change your new name ever again.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.25.2012 , 10:57 AM | #16
To Darth_Halford:

So your implying that we just give up altogether and just accept what we got? How about no?? accepting defeat is not the answer, did Alexander the Great give up when he and his army of 47,000 went up against 250,000 persians? No he did not! samething applies here, if we do nothing then nothing will be done! Names are highly regarded to players especially in MMO's because those names are apart of their plot and story, this is no console game where names don't matter.


To monkgryphon and capitalbel:

If you rather hide and not be known because your unwilling to give out your legacy name well that is unfortunate however, there is an idea that if bioware goes through with this, they could add a feature where you can "add a friend/guild mailing list" therefore you will be automatically be added to everyone in your guild's or friend's mailing list without depending directly on your legacy name (updated the original post for more details)

To HeavensAgent:

I understand your concern, but if we have names like 'John, Deb'bie, Bāstila, or Elizabeth' then we are going to have problems.

To Havokk:

That's a risk we are going to have to take, I offered the best solution that could actually work for all of us, but having two John Smith's on the same server would complicate things, however you could always go by Jon Smith that would work if another player was going by John Smith.

Uniqueness is a major flaw in MMO's these days, doing it your way would complicate things even further for players, it's about selection and choice.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

murshawursha's Avatar


murshawursha
06.25.2012 , 01:13 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensAgent View Post
I completely disagree. The lore supports names with non-alphebetical letter. In fact one of the playable species in the game, the Twi'lek, utilize a naming system that always makes use of an apostrophe.
Seconded. I've been using an apostrophe in my character's name since SWG, and I actually considered adding an alt character because I thought it looked cool (though ultimately decided against it cause it makes it difficult for people to invite me for stuff).

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.25.2012 , 01:30 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
To Darth_Halford:

So your implying that we just give up altogether and just accept what we got? How about no?? accepting defeat is not the answer, did Alexander the Great give up when he and his army of 47,000 went up against 250,000 persians? No he did not! samething applies here, if we do nothing then nothing will be done! Names are highly regarded to players especially in MMO's because those names are apart of their plot and story, this is no console game where names don't matter.
I've studied Alexander the Great, and you are not him, nor is this akin to anything that he did.

You know what really applies here? Facts, like the fact that the servers don't know what your legacy name used to be, so even if the change were done you wouldn't be able to get your old name back, or the fact that since you don't start off with a Legacy, any character you create will have the name of "John ______", and will be subject to the same rules as anyone else named "John ______". Than when it actually does come time to create your Legacy Name, your Legacy name will be limited by "John Smith". There maybe other Smith names open, but because there is another John Smith, all of your other characters will now have something that is not Smith.

Now it's a question time, how will the system keep track of the Legacy Level/Rewards for your group of Smiths v. someone elses group of Smiths? Currently it doesn't have to, so now you have to code a way for it to keep track of all of that in real-time.

Of course names are highly regarded here. No **** this isn't a single player game, I wasn't born last night. But, in every MMO I've ever played, once someone else has that name, nobody else on the server can. That's just how it's always been. Sure, a little Free To Play game may allow different variations by including a surname, but their policy is the same. More to the point, it's a bug comparison because what you do on one character doesn't affect the other ones like Legacy does on the Old Republic.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.25.2012 , 05:11 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by murshawursha View Post
Seconded. I've been using an apostrophe in my character's name since SWG, and I actually considered adding an alt character because I thought it looked cool (though ultimately decided against it cause it makes it difficult for people to invite me for stuff).
Having a ' in front of behind a username looks silly, sure you have characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi I will admit that's practical but 'Ronnie or Christopher'? now that just looks silly.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.25.2012 , 05:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
I've studied Alexander the Great, and you are not him, nor is this akin to anything that he did.

You know what really applies here? Facts, like the fact that the servers don't know what your legacy name used to be, so even if the change were done you wouldn't be able to get your old name back, or the fact that since you don't start off with a Legacy, any character you create will have the name of "John ______", and will be subject to the same rules as anyone else named "John ______". Than when it actually does come time to create your Legacy Name, your Legacy name will be limited by "John Smith". There maybe other Smith names open, but because there is another John Smith, all of your other characters will now have something that is not Smith.

Now it's a question time, how will the system keep track of the Legacy Level/Rewards for your group of Smiths v. someone elses group of Smiths? Currently it doesn't have to, so now you have to code a way for it to keep track of all of that in real-time.

Of course names are highly regarded here. No **** this isn't a single player game, I wasn't born last night. But, in every MMO I've ever played, once someone else has that name, nobody else on the server can. That's just how it's always been. Sure, a little Free To Play game may allow different variations by including a surname, but their policy is the same. More to the point, it's a bug comparison because what you do on one character doesn't affect the other ones like Legacy does on the Old Republic.
Never said I was Alexander I'm just comparing what he had to go through with his army in order to take down the Persian Empire, when many thought it was a suicide mission they prevailed because they were determined and used brilliant tactics to out maneuver the enemy. Same can be said here, especially when many subscribers have lost faith in bioware due to this incident, sure server transfers don't keep track of names, but at least give us the option to change tactics and pick whatever name we want to be without the fear of loss, names are so hard to come by especially for those that have stood by those names since launch, they have worked hard for those names because they meant something to people like me.

Apparently you haven't played Pirates of the Burning Sea or Guild Wars, because they have a much better naming policy, and they happen to be MMO's, who would of thought? they aren't forced to change their names, because they offer the player the freedom to pick any name of their choice and really that's what it's all about.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!