Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

If the game were to go F2P + microtransactions, what will old subs get?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If the game were to go F2P + microtransactions, what will old subs get?

DarthWoad's Avatar


DarthWoad
06.22.2012 , 02:04 AM | #1
I've been playing this game since the day of release. If this game goes F2P and puts in microtransactions, what will the past subscribers get? Will they have to pay for them too? Or do they get them for free?

I dont want some new player buying all of them and then getting better stuff than me, and is further ahead than me in 2 weeks than all of my stuff put together in 6 months. Would they just leave everyone to buy microtransactions or will old players be rewarded or something? Not that im asking for free items, I am simply asking what people think will happen.

Razdek's Avatar


Razdek
06.22.2012 , 02:09 AM | #2
The game isnt going free 2 play... God people are daft.

DarthWoad's Avatar


DarthWoad
06.22.2012 , 02:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Razdek View Post
The game isnt going free 2 play... God people are daft.
Can you please link me your source where it shows its never going F2P? Thanks

discosoc's Avatar


discosoc
06.22.2012 , 02:24 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWoad View Post
Can you please link me your source where it shows its never going F2P? Thanks
That's called a misplaced burden of proof, and it's a fallacious argument. Try again.

PaulyTheHut's Avatar


PaulyTheHut
06.22.2012 , 02:51 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by discosoc View Post
That's called a misplaced burden of proof, and it's a fallacious argument. Try again.
Good answer.
Flaccus 51 Sage Naso 32 Guardian
Pirlo 42 Commando Cassano 55 Mercenary
Pelopidas 20 Shadow Piso 45 Assassin

cyberfreaq's Avatar


cyberfreaq
06.22.2012 , 02:59 AM | #6
Oh and to answer the question: take a look at STO and how they've done it: so you can either use the item shop to buy each asset (extra bank slots, extra char slots, char rename, uniforms, extra payable species etc) individually

- OR -

you can continue to pay a 15$ per month sub fee and you get all those things for free and some in-game currency also for free to use in the item shop

So basically it shuts up every one of those "OMG MICROTRANSATIONS, I QUIT!" guys, by offering them a normal sub fee for which they gain access to all the features normal users have to pay for or work hard in-game to achieve.
That way everyone's happy.
I.like.pie

Razdek's Avatar


Razdek
06.22.2012 , 03:15 AM | #7
Subs are strong. They have opened up 1 - 15 limited play like every other mmo does as a way to encourage new players. That is the closest to f2p it gets.

Nyla's Avatar


Nyla
06.22.2012 , 03:21 AM | #8
Oh and to answer the question: take a look at STO and how they've done it: so you can either use the item shop to buy each asset (extra bank slots, extra char slots, char rename, uniforms, extra payable species etc) individually

- OR -

you can continue to pay a 15$ per month sub fee and you get all those things for free and some in-game currency also for free to use in the item shop

So basically it shuts up every one of those "OMG MICROTRANSATIONS, I QUIT!" guys, by offering them a normal sub fee for which they gain access to all the features normal users have to pay for or work hard in-game to achieve.
That way everyone's happy.[/QUOTE]

At same time, some games offer only a part of the content for sub people and they still need to pay some for another part.
“When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.”

cyberfreaq's Avatar


cyberfreaq
06.22.2012 , 03:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Razdek View Post
Subs are strong. They have opened up 1 - 15 limited play like every other mmo does as a way to encourage new players. That is the closest to f2p it gets.
The game fails whether you, me of Johnny McFlamer wants it or not. Most people posting on these forums are doing so because they care. If they didn't they would have just unsubbed and left. So those people want the game to get better, more popular and so on. It is their way to express their ideas. The important thing is that they are sticking around.
Subs clearly didn't work out for TOR. And I don't want to hear about "it is normal for people to leave after the initial launch hype."

Sure, if your game is really THAT good, people will find it worth paying for it and stay for months, but most of them didn't.

With the transfers now open, there are ~10 servers on NA and Europe with >= standard population. Every other server is dead.

Were there too many servers on launch? Gosh, I remember a few months back when every one of those servers had at least standard population. So the server number increase was justified. But after that, more than half of the subscriber base has left. It is made clear by the fact that with the transfers, around 20% of the total number of servers have decent population. Where did the 80% go? Sure a game can lose half of the subscribers after the first hype months, but not more than half !

And you guys saying "if you don't like it, leave", do you really want that to happen? Because the population is thin as it is. With even more people leaving it means more lost money. Every 100 players that leave, take ~1500 $ with them, monthly. And that is just for 100 players.
And you are still encouraging people to leave without this game eventually going f2p in order to survive?

Most people have tried the free weekends and the friend trials. Most of them. The last free weekends barely attracted people (there was no significant increase in server population). What makes you think that adding an unlimited 1-15 "trial" would do any better? Because it is basically the same thing.
Those who were curious about TOR, experienced the trial months ago, during the free weekends. There are very few people left, with an actual interest in this game, who haven't tried it already.

Do you really care what happens to TOR, or would you rather see it dead than go a business model that will attract new players? Because this game won't last long with you and the 100 other people paying for it a few months from now.
I.like.pie

Razdek's Avatar


Razdek
06.22.2012 , 03:36 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by cyberfreaq View Post
The game fails whether you, me of Johnny McFlamer wants it or not. Most people posting on these forums are doing so because they care. If they didn't they would have just unsubbed and left. So those people want the game to get better, more popular and so on. It is their way to express their ideas. The important thing is that they are sticking around.
Subs clearly didn't work out for TOR. And I don't want to hear about "it is normal for people to leave after the initial launch hype."

Sure, if your game is really THAT good, people will find it worth paying for it and stay for months, but most of them didn't.

With the transfers now open, there are ~10 servers on NA and Europe with >= standard population. Every other server is dead.

Were there too many servers on launch? Gosh, I remember a few months back when every one of those servers had at least standard population. So the server number increase was justified. But after that, more than half of the subscriber base has left. It is made clear by the fact that with the transfers, around 20% of the total number of servers have decent population. Where did the 80% go? Sure a game can lose half of the subscribers after the first hype months, but not more than half !

And you guys saying "if you don't like it, leave", do you really want that to happen? Because the population is thin as it is. With even more people leaving it means more lost money.
And you are still encouraging people to leave without this game eventually going f2p in order to survive?
This game isnt going free to play to survive... There has not been any mention of that... People harping on about omg make this game f2p already are just doomsayers who arnt even giving the game a chance... And to be honost it just annoys te hell out of people who enjoy this game....

There has been 0 signs that this game needs to go f2p to 'survive' if youthink there has you clearly have no understanding of the mmo genre. The last stated 1.3 mil subs is a much larger population then 90% of mmos out there... Not to mention the game is only 6 months or so old. Most mmos take years to build up a stable player base. So far the only crowd we have lost is the people testing the watersto see if thia game was for them... It wasnt, so tey went back to COD or whatever holds the attention of those people.