Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P model worries

Vialator
06.21.2012 , 05:18 PM | #1
I fear that going free to play will out right destroy swtor- I for one refuse to be apart of any f2p model so this will be my last month of subbing as I don't want to invest any more time into a game that will be going free to play.

After experiencing many free to play models (a lot of Asian based mmo's like rising force online/perfect world international ) among many more!

Tried Star trek online- dc universe- even gave age of conan a go after that dismal launch which I had the pleasure of enduring for a few months in hopes it would improve!(had to love standing on the bridge with the rhino knocking passers-by off the bridge down to their deaths below)
Alas I can say that none of these f2p models have had much success and barely keeping their heads above water.
I see the trend in those games is to offer as little in line with support and bug fixes/content and max out as much as possible the cash shop transactions to pull in as much money as possible till the bubble bursts. Which I have seen it do with many other free to play mmos.

I really had high hopes for this game but I am very fearful of investing time and money into a game that plans to go f2p- I have seen those types of games attract the worst kinds of crowds as well which is a major worry as well.

Please don't go f2p it will ruin the experience and chase away a lot of good players!
Huh?

Taurusaud
06.21.2012 , 05:20 PM | #2
Just because Asian MMOs have tried and failed doesn't mean Bioware will, have some faith little dude!
And you could look deep into my eyes
Like I was a super-model
Uh-huh

shadowrouge
06.21.2012 , 05:20 PM | #3
Ummm the game is not currently going F2P. It is going to have a F2P up to but not beyond level 15. So I think you have nothing to worry about at this time.
Weekend Beta tester 11-11-11/ Thanksgiving tester 11-25-11
http://www.swtor.com/r/XydG2G

TheBBP
06.21.2012 , 05:22 PM | #4
At some point that OP made a conscious decision that the half-dozen other F2P threads were not good enough for his thoughts.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Kharnis
06.21.2012 , 05:22 PM | #5
The. Game. Is. Not. Going. Free. To. Play.

I seriously wish people would stop hearing something from someone who heard something from someone who heard it from a guy and immediately panicking.
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

jgoldsack
06.21.2012 , 05:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowrouge View Post
Ummm the game is not currently going F2P. It is going to have a F2P up to but not beyond level 15. So I think you have nothing to worry about at this time.
This.

Why do people keep thinking that F2P to level 15 means the entire game is going F2P.
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

http://www.swtor.com/r/ycmWN7 <-- link for some free stuff!

Vialator
06.21.2012 , 05:25 PM | #7
So how can they say f2p up to level 15? that's more like an extended trial?
Huh?

CrazedScotsman
06.21.2012 , 05:26 PM | #8
This game isn't going to the free to play model.

Where is this information coming from? Is it just wild speculation and rumor being thrown out there to get people to leave the game and to see what sticks?

Next thing we will hear is how if you play SWTOR, your computer will blow up from bad code killing you and your next door nieghbor plus your daughter will be knocked up by an Ewok. Of course, that wouldn't be so bad if the Ewok has a job and is good to your daughter, but no, this Ewok is the drummer for a local death metal band and they really stink.
It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission

TapSumBatt
06.21.2012 , 05:27 PM | #9
F2P can go screw itself. I don't care about it until the day it comes, when it does I'll play something else.

The whole argument of "Why are you so opposed? You'd pay as much anyway but in subs instead" is completely retarded. ((Talking about microtransactions))

If it gains interest they will add more features to it. More features = more items -> more exclusive items.

Suddenly some jerk spending 150 Euros on a digital Light saber will kill you in a Warzone.

At that point this game is no longer for me.

Kharnis
06.21.2012 , 05:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazedScotsman View Post
This game isn't going to the free to play model.

Where is this information coming from? Is it just wild speculation and rumor being thrown out there to get people to leave the game and to see what sticks?

Next thing we will hear is how if you play SWTOR, your computer will blow up from bad code killing you and your next door nieghbor plus your daughter will be knocked up by an Ewok. Of course, that wouldn't be so bad if the Ewok has a job and is good to your daughter, but no, this Ewok is the drummer for a local death metal band and they really stink.
Stop laughing. A friend of mine installed TOR, and immediately his holoprojector started chiming at him (which was quite the surprise to him because he only ordered the game through Origin, so he had no idea where the holo came from).

Seven days later...
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing: