Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hmm...EU relaunch?

Wolfninjajedi
06.21.2012 , 12:08 PM | #1
So this question popped into my head, being that DC had a relaunch and while some of the relaunch of DC has kinda irked me some of it I like. Such as the real Question possibly able to come back now since he was revived glad for that, so just wondering if Star Wars EU would be good for a relaunch? Or no?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

RedPands
06.21.2012 , 12:52 PM | #2
I have seen the emu of swg and honestly, it is dead. There are no levels. Its the old pre-cu and everything. I found it very boring...
We are not running away.. just making a tactical advance in the other direction
Didet Caheif - SWG

Wolfninjajedi
06.21.2012 , 02:09 PM | #3
Red....not sure where you got SWG out of my post, this isn't about that. Its about relaunching the expanded universe, meaning go back to the beginning with everything and write new stuff about it that wasn't written before. Of course some characters could stay the same, but this would give more room for writers to write about characters that they weren't able to write about before. Or even, if in a relaunch the writers would be able to make new characters and expand it all out even more.

priest
06.21.2012 , 03:56 PM | #4
I'm an old school, started with Heir to the Empire EU fan. I feel that pretty much everything NJO and after lost that (and I'm going to pull an SWG term here) Starwarsy and Iconic feel to it. I think in the haste to appeal to the new up and coming, darker, grittier science fiction fanbase, they made the story far heavier and as such it lost its innocence.

That being said, I wouldn't want a relaunch, I'd want to retconn back to pre NJO. see what you think
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Wolfninjajedi
06.21.2012 , 04:08 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post
I'm an old school, started with Heir to the Empire EU fan. I feel that pretty much everything NJO and after lost that (and I'm going to pull an SWG term here) Starwarsy and Iconic feel to it. I think in the haste to appeal to the new up and coming, darker, grittier science fiction fanbase, they made the story far heavier and as such it lost its innocence.

That being said, I wouldn't want a relaunch, I'd want to retconn back to pre NJO. see what you think
Wouldn't mind that, but am saying if they re-did the whole EU. Then some corrections could be made on characters, and more characters could be expanded on that weren't expanded on before since if the EU is relaunched everyone gets a clean slate. Now some characters, are fine as they are so they could just stay the same and authors could make new stories for them to be in. New characters would also be more easier to put in, because they wouldn't need to conform as to what is going on as of now.

Edit: Also folks not saying it has to be now, or later. Just a thought really.

Aurbere
06.21.2012 , 07:29 PM | #6
I think anything NJO and after needs to be redone. Get rid of the god-like powers and the Vong and bring back Mara Jade! It doesn't need to happen now, but it should be done before they start a new series after FOTJ and what not.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Kilikaa
06.21.2012 , 08:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post

I grew up on Star Wars. I would not want a relaunch. I also would not want a retconn of anything dealing withe New Jedi Order and beyond. I love those novels. They are very Star Warsy to me. I loved how dark the Universe became. So no, I would hate a relaunch.

Dubaco
06.21.2012 , 08:39 PM | #8
I hate god like powers =P

Eillack
06.21.2012 , 08:41 PM | #9
Never copy anything DC does. DC it fully dead to me now.

EU is EU no reason to destroy all that history. Add on and fill in all the huge gaps.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

murshawursha
06.21.2012 , 10:16 PM | #10
...am I the only person that is totally cool with Mara Jade being dead? It made sense in the context of LotF...

I wouldn't support a relauch honestly. I hate when companies/writers/whatever do that. Alternate timelines are just blah, whatever happens, happens. Otherwise there's basically no consequences to anything the writers write.

And I've been reading since the Thrawn trilogy, right up and including Fate of the Jedi. Jacen Solo has always been my favorite character, and I was absolutely crushed when they killed him off. But you know what? It happened, and I'm moving on. I would not want any kind of re-launch to bring him back; that just feels fake.

I actually sort of liked the direction FotJ seemed to be going early on - I've always felt the Jedi shouldn't be above the law by virtue of the the fact that they have superpowers. That said, instead of really delving into that issue in the way I hoped they would, the Jedi just kept on doing whatever the hell they wanted, and overthrew the legitimate head of the Galactic Alliance because they didn't like that she was trying to rein them in... Though Daala did kind of go bat-**** crazy.