Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel or Gunslinger?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Scoundrel or Gunslinger?

Nerifes
06.20.2012 , 02:02 PM | #1
I have played Sniper up to war hero however I disliked how I played in PvP.

I now rerolled on a new server and am unsure whether to make a new gunslinger (playing republic this time) or go scoundrel.

I'm looking to be DPS however the healing seems to be needed so that's why I was leaning towards scoundrel.
Can scoundrels dish out good enough DPS to be considered DPS in an 8-man strat?

Rawksoss
06.21.2012 , 09:55 AM | #2
I can't reply based on scoundrel dps but from the threads I've seen "dream rated dream/ what's your make up for rated look like" I haven't seen to many ppl picking scoundrels to dps. Take that for what's its worth and if u didn't like the sniper playstyle in pvp will gs be any better?

ejadavidson
06.21.2012 , 10:10 AM | #3
I got to level 18/Taris on my scoundrel and rerolled a gunslinger. I felt very ineffective, perhaps it was because I just finished an Imperial agent sniper to level 50. I could get some crazy dps out of my agent. With my scoundrel I just didn't feel very effective in a fight.
Anina -50 jedi sentinel
Banim- 50 sniper
Jaxsyn - 30 powertech
Dezzerey - 37 gunslinger

Evaszion
06.21.2012 , 10:17 AM | #4
I can only say what I can basing my info off of the Operative (Scoundrel's mirror) and say this: Healing is superb, they're a HoT focused healer, and their DPS is pretty good from my understanding. I just ran around killing crap while my healing companion kept me up.

And on another note, you probably don't want to go Gunslinger if you don't like Sniper, they're pretty much the same class, except they have dual pistols.
Quote: Originally Posted by Madned View Post
Actually Alderaan was quite more orderly after Palpatine. Now there is no more crime, disease, poverty, or life anywhere on it and it's now a quite orderly astroid field. Clearly, he was a true defender of the Republic and all it stood for.

Blankchild
06.22.2012 , 12:55 PM | #5
If you want to go dps and be usefull in endgame ops or pvp, slinger 100%. If you want to be kicked out of ops and be useless at 50 bracket pvp then scrapper is the way to go.

If you want to heal look no further than sawbones.

I hope that cleared things up.

Aetou
06.22.2012 , 03:51 PM | #6
Gunslinger for DPS, Scoundrel for heals... although if you dislike your Sniper you'll not like a Gunslinger (and so should look elsewhere entirely.) Gunslingers are far from useless in Warzones, you just need to be playing the right spec and know what your role is (kill everything from a corner.)

Gassygunslinger
06.22.2012 , 06:34 PM | #7
Yeah, like the others said, Gunslinger = Sniper in every way. There is no difference except in the animations and the names of abilities.

However, I will say that I do some epic damage on my 'slinger. But here's the thing... Gunslingers are best when they are ignored. The times I've done best in PvP is when I was up above or behind them. Ignore me, and I will f you up.

And in PvE? Forget about it. If I get a good source of cover to protect from ranged attacks (and so long as the tank grabs the aggro from melee mobs), I will pound the enemy bosses like nobodies business. Once or twice even out-tanked the tank (while in cover).
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

RuNuB
06.26.2012 , 11:20 AM | #8
I love my Scoundrel. Once you get Gus, Shoot First, and Flechette Round, you can mow through groups with ease.
And the power to exit a bad pull mid fight can't be beat.

Easily my favorite class in the game, and i have played them all.

WaldoA
06.26.2012 , 11:24 AM | #9
Well, gunslinger is just a mirror or sniper, and the skills all have the same effect is you break them down, just different names and animations. Like someone else said, i've hit 50 on my operative and I'm judging by that. Operatives healing is superb, though I don't enjoy healing as it's just not for me, the dps on an operative is also great, especially for pvp, though PvE your best bet is to be healer specced as one skill tree relies heavily on opening up from stealth, and the other rolves around burning down your target with DoTs, which can be boring against trash mobs. Though, pre 50 PvP (40-49) you can pretty much stunlock a target in a 1v1 and kill them before they even break stun, it's great.

IamScarap
06.26.2012 , 05:45 PM | #10
Anyone who thinks Scrapper DPS is irrelevant is foolish. They're still incredibly powerful, I can gank people who out gear me on my Scoundrel frequently, and only lose some fights to gear. While "ganking" people isn't considered team playing, my own scoundrel has still managed to top charts without being in combat 100% of the time. If you didn't like Sniper, try scoundrel. They're a lot of fun.