Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

World Pvp

Benets
06.20.2012 , 10:05 AM | #1
I had some ideas for Ilum.
It seems to me that the map have few real interest points. There's no reason to have such large map if the fight happens at few locations. And the mechanic of get the points, well, it not have a real tactical benefit for it.

What i thougth:
It could have some other points of interest that really change something in the battle.
It could have one or two resources for each team to build things on the map or power up the particle guns and other possible guns like machinegun blasters. Like a real time strategy game.
Resources: Metals or minerals (to build guns and repair lost guns in the base) and energy to energize those guns, it could have levels of energy and the towers could improve its damage if have more power, or perhaps the number of active guns could rise.

It could have some mines in the field that you need to capture, when you have those mines your metal or mineral stock increases over time.

It could have some power generators in the map. Each power generator increase the current level of power allowing you to build more guns and/or improve its damage.
Together with generators could have power lines connectin the power generator to your base or enemy's base. Enemy's could plant bombs in the power lines to disable it, and allies could fix it. Same thing with generators, a faction could sabotage the generator and/or sabotage the power lines.

Inside this complex zone system, it could have specific ranks for ilum separated from valor. Ilum ranks. Reaching specifics rank levels could alow you access manager options like build things like the particle gun, or improve some defenses. High Ilum rank level could abilitate some options in the map screen or one high ilum rank level could enter a commander room with manager devices where to build some things.

With resources it could build and palce some automated defense system like turrets to aid. So the ganked team could have some help.

I made map how i think it could be -> Benets' Ilum Map

The red thing is the generators and the red lines is the power lines connecting it to the bases. The red circles could be the power line towers where players can sabotage with bombs. Perhaps we could get bombs in a factory inside our base to plant on objectives. The western power generator on the center is bigger and provide more power than the other but both factions can use it but player could sabotage the power lines and/or the generator. If they sabotage the power lines the all the power of this generator goes to your faction. Or you could destroy the generator so none would have this power. (well its a strategic decision, if you can't get your lines fixed you could destoy the generator so nor you nor the oposite will benefit for it for some time until it's fixed).
The green marks' the mines that both factions can get to earn minerals over time and the green arrow is the entrance of the mine.

The center of the map could be something like a castle or base you could siege and mount defense systems. The team on control could use their weapons and have a closer spawn points to enemy base, soh the battle a progression not skip everything and go to enemy base, if you dont get or dominate a respawn point you walk more to reach the battle zone.

Some of those objectives could be a phased zone like mission zones, or a class phased story zones. But a phased pvp zone where the number inside are limited for fewer participants. Like 4 or 8. So inside those objectives at least it could be balanced the number. It don't matter if Imps have 100 players in Ilum, in the mines only can enter 4 or 8 each time.

Like a mini warzone or a dinamic arena. Could have a safe wait room in the entrance for each faction where player cannot be attacked and players enter in the mine when open a spot. It could have a respawn time for other enter. Like when sombody inside die need to wait 20 seconds to other enter.

So it could be a massive dynamic mix of world pvp with elements of arena style and warzones.

Another idea is, could have some uses for the crafting professions. Each professions could have tasks or bonus in some things. And perhaps specifics missions inside it.

They could click in a console or part near the itens and open like a craft menu spefic for ilum with gathering materials found only at ilum pvp zone and used only for ilum purposes. Those material collected could go not to the person who gather but it could go for the faction resourse like a faction bank with all pvp gathered itens on ilum or resouce bar.

Armormech could 'work' on turrets and guns and automated defense systems and improve the life of it.

Armstech could improve the damage of those guns.

Artifice could build better crystal or enhance to put on guns and improve the fire rate for exemple.

Biochem could build medical droids on objetive improving the life or people near it, like a becon or rasing the life regeneration.

Cybertech could build combat droids or improve some aspect of defense systems.

Synthweaving, this hard lol, dunno, build some camuflage covers for systems so players only see the defense system when got too close, or build "bunkers" or tents or camps with camouflage that give a lesser stealth a zone for a while to everybody inside it, enemy will only see you when enter the zone.

Also some professions could have bonus for some tasks, like, slicing and/or cybertech could use the gun consoles faster than normal to fix it. Armstech could have a improved rocket to fire at vehicles with rockes, or faster or more damage. Like if a armortech improved the resistance of vehicles the life could be improved and you could only destry with 3 shots. But an armstech could still do it with 1 shot. Or activate de bazooka faster. Or armstech could have a improved particle gun like more time using it (channeling). And so on.

Ilum could have some timed or random events. Like A ship fall and the factions need to reach and secure it till the event time ends to get something that could give some advantage. Like 1% damage for an hour in ilum or extra 20% valor bonus for 1 hour. Or ilum resources.

Also Ilum bases could have some other things like artillery with limited range. Once per half-hour you could activate a part of map in range of artillery, not too far, and do an (not lethal) aoe damage to enemies in the area of effect. Like 200 per second for 20 seconds. (4k total damage).

And perhaps an orbital bombardment with same caracteristcs but no limit range once per hour or 2 hours.
Do or do not, there's no try

Benets
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

Benets
06.20.2012 , 10:06 AM | #2
Yep, I know this is not for a small patch, and yet some things can be applied. The fact is, i don't even know why it was thinking this way. It's obviusly a failure, the middle objecvtive's not important strategicaly and tacticaly.

It was the problem Blizzard have in Wintergrasp, they tried to balanced all the way, while everybody alrdy know what should have been done. Even the numbers. Do not need magic, limit same number and it's instantly balanced. But this is kinda weird for OPEN pvp.

But as Ilum where, a concentred battle favors the faction with more people. If bioware make some change to spread the fight, The faction outnumbered can at least fight. Make some offensives, Guerrilla warfare, hit and run. Get some points to force the other postion to retake.

If the points give some real benefit, people have to defend it better, and the outnumbered could take objective to get at least some advantage.

I dunno, looks like 90% of the map isn't needed. You have 5 square mile when you could have 50 square yard field. Cos the fight keep goin on in the same place. The rest of the map is waste of space, is needless. Only serve to lag your pc. So there's no reason to have such large map if players use a fraction of it.

And few interest points make the battle concentred at few points, blizzard had same problem at wintergrasp. My idea is to spread the people around the map, placing a lot of interesting things around the map. And some places, phased could balance it like arenas. So even if they have a billion players, at some points it's balanced.

Other thing i thought is: Need choke points, the battle of ilum isnt a construction. You can skip all objective and go to enemy base, should have some way to evolve in battle with some stroke points where the passage is narrow and teams can hold enemies with turrets and automated defense, this could be the middle. So you need to complete an objective to alowd you somehow get the next, or at least made next objective easy. Like in BG you get the base you get the base spawn point and can spanw near and get faster to objetive if you die.

Other thing i just thougth now. Divide the map into 2 or more section. Lets think two now to get easier. North is IMP side and South. In your own side IMP is stronger so they got buffed. And in south Rep is stronger so they fight better and get buff. If you destroy rep objective and take control, you end the bonus of this faction. So it make's the objective really important.

With 3 bases. As my map is. For exepmple if you control the middle base, you get buff in the enemy territory. So it even the fight in enemy territory, so it's better to fight for objectives to get the debuff.
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

WLpride
06.20.2012 , 04:19 PM | #3
All awesome suggestions!!

but to clarify;

1) ilum resources - already was supposed to have resource-related crafting experience, but wth where is that now? Nobody is treading 'dangerous' territory in order to reap the benefit. This concept is completely gone, or changed to something not related (crafting limitations).

2) power lines is too low-tech, how about 'energy force field' instead.

The thought is awesome to have 1 or 2 resource types, which would enable players or leaders to call in for heavy weapon backup (guns at bases aren't just pretty anymore), or for full on orbital backup (damage both realms).

Shoot and scoot tactic, portable heavy weaponry to create tactic with large player-controllable machinery or devices.

McHotbarrels
06.20.2012 , 04:53 PM | #4
I would like some kind of reward for PvP in open world. As of now its a hinderance and helps nothing or no one. Added risk without reward. I would settle for a few comma per kill or something.

Benets
06.20.2012 , 05:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by WLpride View Post
All awesome suggestions!!

but to clarify;

1) ilum resources - already was supposed to have resource-related crafting experience, but wth where is that now? Nobody is treading 'dangerous' territory in order to reap the benefit. This concept is completely gone, or changed to something not related (crafting limitations).

2) power lines is too low-tech, how about 'energy force field' instead.

The thought is awesome to have 1 or 2 resource types, which would enable players or leaders to call in for heavy weapon backup (guns at bases aren't just pretty anymore), or for full on orbital backup (damage both realms).

Shoot and scoot tactic, portable heavy weaponry to create tactic with large player-controllable machinery or devices.
Some places less "civilized" in SW have "lowtech" things, see tatooine. Plus power lines can be low tech, or high, depende how you do it. But could be energy force field.

I thought two things, ilum resources is getting automatic if you control the points, and could have resources in ilum (its diffrent form ilum resources) like crafting resouces, rare, only there, or far more abundant there, and some resources that could be only used to build ilum things, like defenses, robots, barracs. This way the professions could have and active role in the strategy.

Ty for the comment.
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk